Film novelizations!

ShadowDog

What I liked about the Return of the Jedi novelization is that Threepio does not win the Ewoks over with his storytelling. They still need further convincing, prompting Luke to deliver a motivation speech which still doesn't win them over. Finally, Leia speaks up and says, "Do it for the trees," which was precisely what they needed to hear. It was a brilliant exchange that I wish had made it into the film.

Oh my.

My favorite novelization is the one for Gremlins. They spend a whole chapter talking about how Billy was going to make sure he didn't forget to tell the person watching the gremlin not to feed it after midnight. End of chapter. This, right here, is the sum total of the next chapter:

Billy forgot.

End of chapter. I've never laughed so hard at a book in my life. I think it something to do with all that white space ... the fact they wasted an entire page just for that. It was excellent comedic timing for a novel. You turn the page expecting another full chapter and you get THAT as an entire chapter. Hilarious.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.