Anyone following star wars rebels?

Stallion

Rebels is great, it really feels like how the Alliance came together-- small cells coming together. It obviously took a lot of cues from the OT, but the last couple seasons are especially keyed into Rogue 1, which is cool.

The last couple seasons have felt a little like filler, and ultimately, it has the same issue that CW had-- we're being presented with pretty powerful force-users who are nowhere in sight in the OT, and I can't see Disney and Filoni outright killing two of their leads to solve the problem.

Rebels is great, it really feels like how the Alliance came together-- small cells coming together. It obviously took a lot of cues from the OT, but the last couple seasons are especially keyed into Rogue 1, which is cool.

The last couple seasons have felt a little like filler, and ultimately, it has the same issue that CW had-- we're being presented with pretty powerful force-users who are nowhere in sight in the OT, and I can't see Disney and Filoni outright killing two of their leads to solve the problem.

Going to start season 3 today. My theory is they will get called to Alderan.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I've seen it. Season 1 was a little too kiddish at first, but started to get better and had the feel of a true TCW successor/sequel later in the season. Season 2 is what I consider the high water mark. Season 3 has the novelty of Thrawn, but I felt the quality has gone down hill. I have not seen ANY of season 4. Based on what I have seen of season 3, I think season 4's finale is the right time to end it. I just hope it goes out strong.

While I felt TCW filled in a lot of gaps left by the PT, Rebels is interesting, but not really all that necessary. The only thing that has kept my interest is actually seeing old TCW characters show up....and Vader from Season 2. The rest is equivalent to the most mediocre of episodes from TCW.

I'm up to date on this and have really enjoyed it to be fair. Bringing in Thrawn was a great idea - following the groups adventures and character development has been fun and I enjoyed the episodes with appearances of familiar characters from the Star Wars universe (no spoilers!). The linkage to Rogue One in this last series has been very nice so far.

Going to start season 3 today. My theory is they will get called to Alderan.

This is a top suggestion - hadn't thought of that. I agree for a "kids" show it would be tough to see the Jedi killed by some one, Vader for example (but not impossible with the same having happened in ROTS and ANH).

But seeing them go past the events of Rogue One and then ending up on Alderaan after a mission of some sort, with the Death Star coming out of hyperspace above them.... That could be very good.

Thrawn was where it started to go downhill for me. My disdain for the character, combined with how awesome Vaders appearance was made for what felt like back-tracking to me. Since his arrival, outside of a few gems, I feel like were getting the same 3-4 episode runs over and over.

Wait, I have to pause to be shocked that Tank doesn't like anything to do with Thrawn.

Okay, I'm good now.

I really enjoyed Season 3. Season 4 has been very meandering for me. I'm also very anxious about how the series is going to end up. I dislike the idea of Kanan and Ezra still kicking it during the Original Trilogy. I don't think Filoni is truly capable of killing any of his darlings. We'll see if I'm wrong, though.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Thrawn was where it started to go downhill for me. My disdain for the character, combined with how awesome Vaders appearance was made for what felt like back-tracking to me. Since his arrival, outside of a few gems, I feel like were getting the same 3-4 episode runs over and over.

Of the EU characters, I actually liked Thrawn. I respected the fact that when Zahn wrote him, he didn't do the obvious thing, and try to make another Darth Vader. At the time the novels came out and I read them, I was starting to become a history buff, and Thrawn sort of reminded me of Julius Caesar, with a LOT of Bond villain thrown in. But that was over 20 years ago....

Now, I am not sure Thrawn holds up all that well for me, and with him on Rebels, that fact was kind of highlighted. Especially since I think they were relatively true to the character in personality, if not in looks. I didn't like how they animated him.

Also, I think in restrospect, they brought in Vader a little too early as the big bad. He is a tough act to follow. They probably should have kept the grand inquisitor around for one more season, before killing him off, then did Thrawn (or whatever villain they wanted), then made Vader the big bad for the final season.

Thrawn's genius only works because the writer's want it to. For a dude that can out-think everyone by 20 steps, you'd think he'd have caught them by now. Especially after facing off with them multiple times.

But I agree-- they should have flipped Thrawn and Vader. The series should have ended on Vader cleaning house.

Also, I think in restrospect, they brought in Vader a little too early as the big bad. He is a tough act to follow. They probably should have kept the grand inquisitor around for one more season, before killing him off, then did Thrawn (or whatever villain they wanted), then made Vader the big bad for the final season.

Totally - or have Vader kill Kanan (sp?) in the S2 finale, unaware he'd been training Ezra. Just find it hard to believe they'd still be running around post season 2 without Vader finishing off the job.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Thrawn's genius only works because the writer's want it to. For a dude that can out-think everyone by 20 steps, you'd think he'd have caught them by now. Especially after facing off with them multiple times.

But I agree-- they should have flipped Thrawn and Vader. The series should have ended on Vader cleaning house.

Yeah, that's the other thing that bothers me about having Thrawn in Rebels. Thrawn works in military campaigns ad conquering territory, but here, chasing after one ship? And then failing every episode? That's so Skeletor. I know that they have this huge Mandalorian arc going on, but chasing the Ghost sounds more like work for a bounty hunter, than for Space Julius Caesar. They could have brought back Cade Bane, Dengar, IG 88, Bossk, Aurra Sing, hell, even Boba Fett for all that. Or just new inquisitors. Hell, they misused Maul too, IMHO, and he could have been the new Grand Inquisitor. Whomever it was it should have been someone disposable, and believable when they fails. Not someone fabled to be an invincible tactician. Someone Vader could ultimately kill when he is pissed that they failed one too many times. Which would be a great lead up for Vader finally taking over and doing it himself and kicking ass in the final season. They wasted Vader by using him too early, IMHO.

The Force & Destiny RPG sourcebook established that Dave Filoni's The Clone Wars was a series of imperial propaganda holovids produced by COMPNOR, easily explaining away all of its numerous inconsistencies with established Star Wars lore. With that said, I believe the same is true for Rebels, though it is possibly Alliance propaganda. Therefore, Alliance heroes will be beefed up and imperial baddies will be made to look incompetent, which can account for why Thrawn doesn't quite seem like the calculating genius he is in the Thrawn trilogy. That could also explain why he is already a grand admiral when he is only supposed to be a captain at this point in time.

Well, it's always been hinted that the cartoon is a series of holovids that dramatize historical events. I remember seeing the first season re-aired with pop-up text from C-3PO and R2-D2 providing commentary. One of the first things said was, "Look, Artoo, it's another holovid of the Clone Wars!" So the premise has been there for a while; the source book merely capitalized on it.

In other words, there are kernels of truth there, but everything is greatly exaggerated and distorted. Makes sense to me.

Also, I know it's tough to imagine now, but remember that prior to the decanonization, The Clone Wars was EU. Granted, Dave Filoni successfully got his own level of canonicity (T-canon) for the show that superseded C-canon, but it was still EU nonetheless, as everything apart from the six films was.

I can't imagine how keeping all of that straight wouldn't just ruin the fun of it all. It's all fiction. Canon is meaningless!

Star Wars is myth-- all myths shift depending on which bard around the campfiure is telling the st4ory.

If somebody asks me "what happened to Luke after Return of the Jedi" I'm not going to say-- well if you follow this canon, he did XYZ... but if you follow THIS canon, he did 123, but canon level 13 says he did PDQ.

I'd just say-- there's lots of different stories... Some say this, other says that.

Then I'd add BUT THEY'RE ALL POOP CAUSE STAR WARS IS A MOVIE AND IN THE MOVIES HE DID THIS...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.