Anyone following star wars rebels?

Stallion

So interspecies breeding is now canon? I would have expected a human/Twi'lek hybrid as opposed to a human with green hair, but OK.

I'm surprised I haven't seen more reaction to the fact that Filoni still couldn't kill off his pet Jedi.

So interspecies breeding is now canon? I would have expected a human/Twi'lek hybrid as opposed to a human with green hair, but OK.

I'm surprised I haven't seen more reaction to the fact that Filoni still couldn't kill off his pet Jedi.

I think I'm the only one bothered by it.

I also have a big problem with Filoni all-but confirming that Nik Sant is Rex in that finale.

No. Just, no. If it was Rex, he would have been named Rex, not Nik, or they would have at least had Rex using the name while in hiding. No mention of that anywhere, so fuck off trying to fan wank your favourite character in to the movies.

That guy's name isn;t mentioned in the movie, thus he had no name prior. However considering his name isn't mentioned as Rex in the movie either then we can;t be sure that it's him! I guess he is a just an anonymous rebel soldier afterall! Like he's always been.

I mean seriously, who cares?

I also have a big problem with Filoni all-but confirming that Nik Sant is Rex in that finale.

No. Just, no. If it was Rex, he would have been named Rex, not kix, or they would have at least had Rex using the name while in hiding. No mention of that anywhere, so **** off trying to fan wank your favourite character in to the movies.

I'm ok with it, what I hope they don't do is bring kix back in 9. Leave him with the pirates in the comics.

You know, I was prepared to roll my eyes at the Rex-Sant connection, but it turns out there is no back story for Sant in the EU, so I am perfectly fine with him being Rex! I think I'm going to choose to believe it, incorporating it into my head-canon.

Except I do find Filoni's comment on the subject incredibly disturbing. "I'm gonna make it happen. I'm getting like Palpatine: I'm getting power-crazy." I think that was the guy's problem all along.

• 1 month later...
Guest El Chalupacabra

Just thought I'd put this here. Filoni's next project:

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-resistance-set-for-fall-debut

Says it is "anime." If a Filoni project, I wonder why the change from CGI to animated. Is it cheaper to produce, maybe? Not that I would mind all that much, since I liked the Samurai Jack-style original Clone Wars mini-sodes.

But still, yet another Star Wars incarnation no one really asked for. I don't care about Phasma, and only vaguely interested in Poe Dameron. I would have MUCH RATHER seen a series that covers what happened to Princess Leia, Han, and Luke in between ROTJ and TFA.

Well at least Gwendolin Christie has been something to do as Phasma. I wonder if they'll cover Snoke's back story? :p

If they cover Snoke's story, I may be interested. If it covers how Princess Leia forms the Resistance, I may be interested. If it covers Luke's attempt to rebuild the jedi order, I may be interested. Trying to justify Phasma's alleged badassery in a cartoon? No, I'll pass on that.

If it covers Luke's attempt to rebuild the jedi order, I may be interested.

From what my brother has said, according to the books, Luke didn't attempt to restart the Jedi Order until after Han and Leia sent Ben to him when he started showing his Vader tendencies. He had spent all his time post-ROTJ searching for Jedi artifacts and learning about their history. You figure all this would have to be part of the show if Lucasfilm is serious about keeping every book, film and TV series canon.

I totally disagree with Chalup. The last thing these cartoons should be is just an excuse to fill in information that people wanted from the movies. They should be fun, action packed adventures. Stay far away from those movie things. Sprinkle in appearances from some of those characters, but don't make it about them. Just give me easy, simple stories where the good guys have a mission, something goes wrong, they figure it out and accomplish the mission. Just fun, light adventures set to Star Wars music. That's what this should be.

Guest El Chalupacabra

From what my brother has said, according to the books, Luke didn't attempt to restart the Jedi Order until after Han and Leia sent Ben to him when he started showing his Vader tendencies. He had spent all his time post-ROTJ searching for Jedi artifacts and learning about their history. You figure all this would have to be part of the show if Lucasfilm is serious about keeping every book, film and TV series canon.

I am not up to speed on the new Disney EU, aside from some elements I have read in wikis. If this is true, how disappointing.

I totally disagree with Chalup.

What's new there? :)

The last thing these cartoons should be is just an excuse to fill in information that people wanted from the movies.

Why not? That is EXACTLY what was done with TCW. It LITERALLY gave the fans the Anakin they wanted to see, and fleshed out the Clone Wars, which the movies only show the very beginning and very end of.

Stay far away from those movie things. Sprinkle in appearances from some of those characters, but don't make it about them. Just give me easy, simple stories where the good guys have a mission, something goes wrong, they figure it out and accomplish the mission. Just fun, light adventures set to Star Wars music. That's what this should be.

Why can't a Star Wars animated series do a little of both? You can still have a Poe-centric series, BUT STILL have Luke, Leia, and Han make appearances and fill in their experiences betweem ROTJ and TFA. Filoni proved he could BOTH cover things not addressed in films and create his own Star Wars stories (and world, really), yet also balanced it with references to the films, and even brought in elements of the now defunct Legends EU. He managed to make both TCW and Rebels fun and light, but also had complex themes. But the last thing I want to see is dumbed down adventure for adventure's sake Star Wars that really doesn't build on the franchise in a meaningful way. That is exactly my issue with TLJ.

Might be worth waiting to see a bit more from this before passing judgement...all these things could still happen. The show won't be explicitly about Poe or Phasma, it sounds like they may just make brief cameos the same way James Earl Jones and Billy Dee Williams did in Rebels. Looks to focus on this new character mentioned in the article. Filoni though I don't think will shy away from addressing some unaddressed threads in the sequel trilogy, for better or worse.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Might be worth waiting to see a bit more from this before passing judgement...all these things could still happen. The show won't be explicitly about Poe or Phasma, it sounds like they may just make brief cameos the same way James Earl Jones and Billy Dee Williams did in Rebels. Looks to focus on this new character mentioned in the article. Filoni though I don't think will shy away from addressing some unaddressed threads in the sequel trilogy, for better or worse.

Very good point. I was going only off the characters listed in the article, but you are right about Filoni, and I may be passing judgement too early there. I guess I am letting my negative feelings about TLJ cloud my judgement on this article. I have very few complaints about Filoni, and he definitely isn't Rian Johnson.

I am not up to speed on the new Disney EU, aside from some elements I have read in wikis. If this is true, how disappointing.

I actually like this idea of Luke becoming somewhat of a Jedi archaeologist. It gives him something interesting to do post-ROTJ than just "ok now that the Empire is gone, I can set up shop in the Temple and restart the Order now."

Luke as an archeologist? Researching and discovering new things about the old Jedi Order he didn't know before? I swear I've seen that somewhere . . .

Anyway, as for the "Disney EU" (which is a bit of an oxymoron not only because Disney and LucasFilm have tossed the term but because it specifically refers to the universe they tossed), famed Star Wars chronologist Nathan Butler has recently announced that he is quitting his two-decade timeline project partly because of the disconnect between the films and the other media. Unlike in the old EU, according to Butler, the new materials depict nothing major happening and only seem to serve as promotional materials for the films--which are being released in excess now--rather than possessing the true substance the EU had. And it should be noted that Butler supported the reboot and initially criticized those who did not accept the new canon.

Not my words.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.