Anyone following star wars rebels?

Stallion

I haven't read them since the year they came out, but after decades of EU gushers and fanfic'ers shouting about how amazing he was I'm okay sticking to my 20+ old memories for funsies and lols.

Plus Rebels edifies everything by portraying him the exact same way.

I think he's the most overrated SW character ever, second only to Mara Jade-- but at least in her case It get cause she actually fits into a Campbellian archetype and evolved.

Tank, I'm convinced now that you've read a different Thrawn trilogy imported here from some alternate dimension. The Thrawn I remember anticipated and bested his adversaries' every move, aside from once or twice. It was just enough to show his brilliance without making him omniscient.

Thrawn's brilliance is based on the idea that one can predict General Patton's next move by studying the Mona Lisa. If you find that plausible, I don't know what to tell you.

Wow, I really never thought this could be something that could be misconstrued. I thought it was fairly clear that the art was a starting point. It makes sense that art would tell you a lot about a culture's way of thinking. Just look at real-world examples, like Renaissance, Byzantine, etc. It clearly illustrates a lot about what those cultures valued and the how their collective thought processes worked.

Come on, guys. There are legitimate points of criticism when it comes to the Thrawn trilogy and this is not one of them.

The people who make art and the people who make war aren't generally the same people, though. Maybe if Leonardo da Vinci had also been a master strategist, studying his body of artwork would help in facing him in a battle, but how does appreciating sculpture help plan a space battle? It didn't make any sense the first time I read Heir to the Empire. What is a Marg Sabl maneuver anyway, and how come Elomin can't deal with it, and just how do the Elomin art forms reveal anything about their abilities in space combat? Wouldn't reading a text on Elomin military history be more effective than looking at their equivalent of Michelangelo's David?

Come to think of it, Thrawn probably just used the "art appreciation" as a cover for a simple but thorough understanding of tactics, strategy and logistics. Pellaeon seemed the type to be easily impressed by a cultured, gentlemanly personality. He could've probably bested Thrawn in a battle himself. Pellaeon was competent if unimaginative. Thrawn just had a better publicist.

In Rebels Thrawn got his hands on a personal family-made piece of folk art belonging to Hera’s family. He used that to pick away at her psyche— that I bought. He was using something she had a personal connection to so he could get in her head. This makes sense— but the broad scale of determining cultural leanings and reactions to war for an entire society based on some art from their thousands of years old past makes as much sense as naming a clone by adding an extra U to their name.

Seth: It's not Disney canon, no, but it is EU canon and my own personal head canon, which is my only concern. The only things that transferred over from the old canon to the new were the six films, Filoni's Clone Wars movie and TV show, and a four-issue Dark Horse mini-series about Darth Maul that debuted as the transition took place. Not even the novelization of The Clone Wars film, nor the tie-in books, comics, and video games to the Filoni series got ported over!

Ryn: Something similar has been implied about Filoni's series in the Force & Destiny RPG source book, which was one of the last things published under the old canon. It implies that the entire series is COMPNOR (look it up on Wookieepedia) propaganda with kernels of truth, but great distortions, thus accounting for the numerous contradictions between the show and previously-established continuity.

If there is one thing I really liked is that the finale kinda cemented that what goes on in the animated universe stays in the animated universe. There are cameos from the main universe, but Rebels had always been about Lothal and this particular band of rebels.

BTW, when did Kanan and Hera hook up?

It's almost if the series end wasn't as planned as you would have thought. Or the idea to leave everyone alive was a hint to more than one future series.

It's not so much them surviving for me, it's the flash foward making characters , or rather a specific character around with no explanation to why they aren't in the ot (from a universe perspective), as far as Hera and Kannan, it's implied they have been in the book version of the shorts for the show. I think it's the bickering one and chopper takes the last tie out.

Did not like the ending to this at all . It did not answer a key issue with a character, but it did answer another.

Curious about what you mean.

Don't want to give spoilers to those who didn't see it. But a character shown at the end isn't in the ot, yet there's no explanation to why they aren't involved. The other character this may have been an issue with was shown to have a big event happen to prevent them from being in the ot. I'm talking in universe perspective of course. I feel them being around takes a bit away from luke.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.