Anyone following star wars rebels?

Stallion

Do you not see the irony of what you're saying?

Everything you say about her is exactly how you are about the new canon. It doesn't matter that the vast majority of people who see the movies don't read the books-- screw them, it's what YOU want that's most important.

No, you are eight billion percent wrong about that, and I think you know it. I have said for a while now that I am a firm believer in the Golden Rule. If I were miraculously given charge of LucasFilm tomorrow, I would not ditch the new canon. I would reinstate the EU, of course, but I would allow the new canon to continue as well, movies and all, but I would allow the people currently in charge of it to continue to run it, with no oversight from me whatsoever. I do not wish to instate the same heartbreak that was inflicted on me.

You even dropped in on a Facebook conversation where I said exactly that. Come on, man! Don't even try to give me that.

She's not doing anything that Lucas wouldn't have done to make the ST. There is no way to have more Star Wars movies with the OT cast without ditching the EU the way they did. I know your answer would be "then don't make the movies" but you are in a very slim minority who would feel that way.

That would not have been my answer. Of course, the best solution would simply have been to set the new movies at the end of the EU canon, be faithful to it and tell an original story that would not require casual fans to be versed in the EU. Contrary to what you say, and what LucasFilm says, I do believe it is entirely possible.

If not, there were many compromises I would have gladly accepted. The next best thing would have been an in-universe timeline schism similar to Abrams' Star Trek. You're going to say that time travel is a sci-fi staple of Trek that does not sit well with Star Wars, and you'd be right if we are speaking in terms of technology. A better course for the time paradox in Star Wars would be one where the Force is involved, playing up the notion that the Force binds and transcends all space and time.

If that was disagreeable, I would begrudgingly accept only the post-Return of the Jedi EU be declared a separate continuity, but have everything up to that point share one common canon, provided the EU continues to be published.

Finally, as a last resort, I would accept exactly what we got, as long as the EU were not discontinued. That it the main sticking point. I want my Star Wars back, even if it's considered an alternate universe and is not fully restored to its former glory (because I doubt LucasFilm would devote development resources to things like video games for a continuity that is not part of the one they are creating).

To hang it all on Kennedy as the one great evil and discredit what she's accomplished is crap.

I never called anyone evil, nor did I say everything was all Kennedy's fault, nor have I denigrated her accomplishments. I'll thank you not to put words in my mouth.

Semi-on-topic: Remember when The Clone Wars movie came out, and everyone here at Nightly (myself included) was amazed by how "good" it was? Well, it seems the rest of the world hated it. Why do you think that is? What outlook do we fans have that is different from most other people?

Granted, as The Clone Wars went on, I found it mostly unbearable. Some things Filoni did were pretty good, particularly the episodes that dealt with the clones. But for every great idea he had, I felt he had two to three terrible ideas that followed. I'm not even talking about canon-bulldozing; I'm talking about quality. His ideas came off as extremely juvenile, even for a kids' show.

You kinda did say it was Kennedys fault, by hating her explicitly and saying that you would change your opinion of her if she re-canoninized Legends.

Again, I never expressed any hate as I hate nobody. And yes, I did say it was Kennedy's fault, but I never made any claim that it was hers exclusively.

I just don't get it, stories, tv shows, movie series end all the time. Constantly. A choice few get to go out how they want on their own terms. It does kinda suck when one you enjoy ends before you want, no matter the reason. But to carry on about it and carry a torch about and whine about like a broken record for years at this point is just crazy.

Well, I did address that point years ago, with a whole thread dedicated to it. I said that very soon, the general Nightly populace and myself would have very little common ground, but I like Nightly and have always felt I've been treated well here so I asked for advice moving forward. I'm an EU fan. It's why I didn't give up on Star Wars as a kid. I like it better than the movies, but I still do love the movies, and we have the six original films as a common interest. It's very hard to find things to talk about when your circle gets smaller and smaller each and every day.

I DO think you implying plenty of spite in Kathy's direction.

But yes-- I forgot what you has said about your preference being a route that somehow worked for everyone. I think that would have been possible, for sure-- what I don't know is if that story would have been any good.

I would love to read the Lucas/Arndt draft of TFA and see what they had intended more clearly.

Well, I did address that point years ago, with a whole thread dedicated to it. I said that very soon, the general Nightly populace and myself would have very little common ground, but I like Nightly and have always felt I've been treated well here so I asked for advice moving forward. I'm an EU fan. It's why I didn't give up on Star Wars as a kid. I like it better than the movies, but I still do love the movies, and we have the six original films as a common interest. It's very hard to find things to talk about when your circle gets smaller and smaller each and every day.

Then that's fine, I'm not telling you to not post here. But if all you care about is the EU then maybe post in those threads, or create new ones along those lines? To constantly come into threads that evidently conflict with what you like and say the same thing over and over and over again is just tiring. The fact is that for the most part I don't even need to read your posts to know what they say.

All of Nightly was awed by it. I distinctly remember those threads, and post were 97% positive, including my own. What I imagine the reason might be--and I could be entirely wrong--is that we all went into it pretty much knowing what it was. Namely, it was the first four episodes of the show combined into a feature film, and walking into the theater with the mindset that this was a premiere for a television show instead of a full-on movie perhaps is what accounted for the different experience we had in comparison to those who were not in the know. We essentially saw a kids' TV show on screen while the rest of the world saw a poor attempt at a film.

Then that's fine, I'm not telling you to not post here. But if all you care about is the EU then maybe post in those threads, or create new ones along those lines? To constantly come into threads that evidently conflict with what you like and say the same thing over and over and over again is just tiring. The fact is that for the most part I don't even need to read your posts to know what they say.

I know, and I'm sorry my conversation frequently go that way. But I do post in threads where I have interest in the subject matter. I am interested in Rebels, though I have yet to see it, because I have heard it fits well with the EU (better than The Clone Wars did, in fact). But you'll notice that I do stay out of threads I have zero interest in, like the Episode IX thread.

Hey, good stuff! Just allow Legends to continue as an alternate universe and I will change my opinion of her. Until then, she strikes me as someone who wants to mold Star Wars according to her own vision and has no care for the feelings of those who love what came before. This attitude was even prevalent in the last movie that came out, for crying out loud! And don't even try to tell me that wasn't the message. The message was "Eff the past," which includes the EU. I have no respect for someone who smears her victory in the faces of the disenfranchised. All of that stuff about being gender and race inclusive is all for show, just like a politician.

Have you ever considered how much worse it could be under somebody else? She has actually done a great job in continuing to take Star Wars in the direction that George wanted and balance out what Disney expect from the franchise. That's the whole reason George brought her onboard. I mean I can fully appreciate why you're not a fan of the direction or de-canonisation but to direct it towards Kennedy is so misguided, considering this was all happening before she even agreed to take on Lucasfilm. It was going to happen with or without her, period. George himself never considered the EU the "true" continuation of the story, what hope was there?

I actually think the current story group and Kennedy actually have a lot more respect for the EU than George did or you give them credit for. They're incorporating things from the EU into the new media a lot and they're not being shy about it, they give credit where it's due.

It's a balancing act between pleasing old fans and attracting new ones without throwing things at them that only old fans will understand/appreciate. I think they're doing just fine on that front, and in the case of Rebels/TCW, it's still basically a kids TV show - to say the content is juvenile is actually pretty redundant since the juvenile demographic is who it's aimed at.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Stick him in carbonite. Thaw him for the next cartoon that takes place post ROTJ, team him with Luke, then end that show with enough space before pre-TFA days that he could have met his fate.

Stick him in carbonite, but have him not survive the freezing process as a nod to TESB.

Or, just have him go out like Ahsoka did at the end of season 2, and leave his fate open-ended.

Then, when they do the inevitable post ROTJ/pre TFA cgi series (I actually want this....and with Mark Hamill reprising Luke. THAT is a job tailor made for him!), Ezra pops up as a grown ass man, and is far more interesting at that point.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'm baffled at the idea that everyone loved the Clone Wars movie. Most people I know agree that the later seasons are way better than the earlier ones. I've never even SEEN the movie. ME.

I thought the TCW movie was bantha fodder. I almost DIDN'T watch the series at first because of it.

I liked the movie. I thought it was an odd take, but the show sucked me in. I remember it wasn't a critical darling. I don't remember the threads here to be honest.

Looking at the cartoons and the movies in the same light diminishes what both are trying to do. TCW supplements the prequels well. Almost too well. Anakin is soooooo much better served in the cartoons. I almost wish they could have dubbed Hayden's dialogue with the guy from the cartoon. I'm in the camp of wanting an Ahsoka stand-alone, but I realize it won't work without Anakin. If Hayden could learn not to try to impersonate someone and be himself I would love to see a live action Snips and Skyguy.

Bah. I agree that Filoni's Anakin was the best depiction, but I still say Tartakovsky's Clone Wars was brilliant, shaming Filoni's by a large margin.

I'm on my work computer again which reacts strangely with Nightly, so I can't quote or copy-and-past. Please bear with me:

Darth Wader: Fair enough, but we are not asking for bits of our canon to be rehashed in theirs. Kennedy and others are hearing us, but not really listening. We want the EU to be permitted to continue, as an alternate universe. Simple. It does not matter if ideas are borrowed or not because it is of no consequence. As for George Lucas "never" considering the EU the official continuation of Star Wars, you may be right about that or you may not; it was never really made clear. He told Timothy Zahn that he liked his novels, he intervened in certain EU decisions, he dictated plots, he was even directly involved in several projects. It does seem that he began to change his mind toward the mid-2000s, but he's George Lucas and that is what George Lucas does. It is clear that LucasFilm did consider the EU the official continuation of Star Wars and marketed it as such.

Kyrian: Perhaps juvenile was the wrong word. What I meant was that The Clone Wars, for the most part, sucked. Two thirds of its plots were just lacking in substance. You can have a kids' show still be brilliant. (Never mind the fact that whether or not it truly was a kids' show is debatable. I don't recall watching any cartoons in my youth which saw someone tortured to death or a woman kissing someone on the mouth before impaling him through the torso.)

It wasn't all bad, though. As I said, Filoni is superb when it come to the clones. That was my main are of interest concerning that show.

TCW was amazingly inconsistent. Some episodes were very juvenile (usually the Padme/Jar Jar/R2-3PO episodes, but also a handful of others) and then there would be some pretty brutal violence. I'm not sure they knew who they were aiming it at.

I can't say what the ratio of good ideas to bad was either. Zero the Hutt, Iron Spider Darth Maul one one side and decent episodes with the Clones, Ventress, Cad Bane, Ahsoka on the other. Pretty uneven but I like it better than the PT.

I'm in the camp of wanting an Ahsoka stand-alone, but I realize it won't work without Anakin. If Hayden could learn not to try to impersonate someone and be himself I would love to see a live action Snips and Skyguy.

I think the other problem is translating Ahsoka's look to the big screen. Even the best cosplays I've seen are lacking. I suppose with some of those computer effects...

Edit: okay, scratch that, last time I looked I saw nothing good -- I thought they all looked weird with normal human-sized eyes, but I actually found one that's quite believable. I take it all back, it can be done.

https://500px.com/photo/3309963/ahsoka-tano-by-gordon-tarpley

post-2253-0-86997600-1516475238_thumb.jpeg

Loved the show but the clone wars movie is boring and badly written.

That said I'm 4 episodes into season 4, so far 2 is the best. I feel maul got wasted and they get out of stuff to easy. It was cool seeing thrawn win in the end, but I feel like they escaped to easily. Sane with the war for msndalore, the weapon made it to easy to take the planet back. I thought vader was very well handled, but I agree it was to early. Hopefully season 4 improves. I'm enjoying the show, but I see where the writing is slipping.

Bah. I agree that Filoni's Anakin was the best depiction, but I still say Tartakovsky's Clone Wars was brilliant, shaming Filoni's by a large margin.

Those mini episodes were brilliant. Also the only time Grevious was actually as scary as Lucas wanted us to feel he was.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.