Anyone following star wars rebels?

Stallion

Organizing, cataloguing, ranking, listing.... these things are all fun for some people. ZN organizing his head canon is totally cool with me. One could argue it's no different than what Tank does - he just organizes it into a very simple binary system:

Movies and All the other stuff. Or whatever. I don't mean to put words in anyone's mouth.

I'll buy that the Filoni stuff is just a spin on "what really happened" if we can agree that the movies are too.

The only thing that really matters to me is what Disney/Lucasfilm says. To put it in RPG terms, Kathleen Kennedy is the dungeon master. So if I want to play the game, I play by her rules even f I don't like them (*cough* prequels). So if they say the movies, the Filioni stuff and the newer books are "canon", that's all I need to know. Then I don't have to worry about contradictions and coming up with weird head-justifications.

The Force & Destiny RPG sourcebook established that Dave Filoni's The Clone Wars was a series of imperial propaganda holovids produced by COMPNOR, easily explaining away all of its numerous inconsistencies with established Star Wars lore. With that said, I believe the same is true for Rebels, though it is possibly Alliance propaganda. Therefore, Alliance heroes will be beefed up and imperial baddies will be made to look incompetent, which can account for why Thrawn doesn't quite seem like the calculating genius he is in the Thrawn trilogy. That could also explain why he is already a grand admiral when he is only supposed to be a captain at this point in time.

Okay you really need to look into sex, drugs and alcohol....

Guest El Chalupacabra

He's not just chasing the one ship. They're part of a whole group now. And Thrawn "let them go" so he could find their base.

Granted I over simplified it, but the main point I was making was that IMHO Thrawn is best used when commanding a fleet to battle another fleet, and has a master strategy against that fleet. Chasing after the characters in rebels didn't seem like the same Thrawn I read about in the Zahn Trilogy. At least that's how I see it.

I do not like Kathleen Kennedy.

One of the most successful producers of all time, one of maybe 3 women powerful enough in Hollywood to be able to hire directors without oversight, literally handpicked by Lucas, responsible for pushing for more minority and female representation in film, and yet is bad mouthed constantly by fandom cause their favorite book doesnt count anymore.

Kathleen Kennedy is a warrior to get where she is, and without her Star Wars would be in such worse shape. People complain about Star Wars going Disney, which is absurd to begin with because it was always the same demo, but without Kathleen running a Lucasfilm it would literally be in-house with Disney.

Wasn't Kathleen Kennedy taking over as head of Lucasfilm a condition of the sale to Disney? Or was it more that she was the best candidate for both parties?

I've got a lot more respect for Kennedy than I do Lucas, and that goes for Filoni too. Kennedy isn't surrounded by the yes-men that Lucas was, so she's definitely more apt to make better decisions with the franchise, especially those involving risks rather than just give us a CGI wank fest, as we've seen with TLJ. As for Filoni, regardless of his flaws and inability to kill off characters, he's done his best to integrate the best parts of the old EU in to the new canon (or at least the more popular characters/designs, like Thrawn, the TIE/D and the YT-2400), and he's done so while skirting a fine line between what Lucas/Disney wants and his own vision for the series.

Wasn't Kathleen Kennedy taking over as head of Lucasfilm a condition of the sale to Disney? Or was it more that she was the best candidate for both parties?

Lucas had already given Kennedy the job and they were in transition phase when he sold to Disney. She had no idea he was talking to them until after he sold the company. He'd already started work on the sequels when she came aboard, so the whole hate for her is ridiculous.

Can we really blame Filoni for not killing off characters? He is making cartoon shows aimed at the younger end of the demographic spectrum and making them accessible to the older end at the same time.

(I was actually shocked a couple of times in TCW at the level of graphic violence, incidentally.)

I'm actually pretty impressed with what Filoni has done.

One of the most successful producers of all time, one of maybe 3 women powerful enough in Hollywood to be able to hire directors without oversight, literally handpicked by Lucas, responsible for pushing for more minority and female representation in film, and yet is bad mouth constantly by fandom cause their favorite book doesnt count anymore.

Kathleen Kennedy is a warrior to get where she is, and without her Star Wars would be in such worse shape. People complain about Star Wars going Disney, which is absurd to begin with because it was always the same demo, but without Kathleen running a Lucasfilm it would literally be in-house with Disney.

Hey, good stuff! Just allow Legends to continue as an alternate universe and I will change my opinion of her. Until then, she strikes me as someone who wants to mold Star Wars according to her own vision and has no care for the feelings of those who love what came before. This attitude was even prevalent in the last movie that came out, for crying out loud! And don't even try to tell me that wasn't the message. The message was "Eff the past," which includes the EU. I have no respect for someone who smears her victory in the faces of the disenfranchised. All of that stuff about being gender and race inclusive is all for show, just like a politician.

One of the most successful producers of all time, one of maybe 3 women powerful enough in Hollywood to be able to hire directors without oversight, literally handpicked by Lucas, responsible for pushing for more minority and female representation in film, and yet is bad mouth constantly by fandom cause their favorite book doesnt count anymore.

Hey, good stuff! Just allow Legends to continue as an alternate universe and I will change my opinion of her. Until then, she strikes me as someone who wants to mold Star Wars according to her own vision and has no care for the feelings of those who love what came before. This attitude was even prevalent in the last movie that came out, for crying out loud! And don't even try to tell me that wasn't the message. The message was "Eff the past," which includes the EU. I have no respect for someone who smears her victory in the faces of the disenfranchised. All of that stuff about being gender and race inclusive is all for show, just like a politician.

So, she's like George.

ANYWAY. Rebels.

Yes, I can blame Filoni for not being able to kill off his characters. They made me watch Luke Skywalker die. They can kill the Jedi who interfere with the OT time frame. :p

And here we go:

I'm probably going to be annoyed with most of this season(especially Mortis), but PALPATINE! VOICED BY IAN MCDIARMID! I DIG.

Hey, good stuff! Just allow Legends to continue as an alternate universe and I will change my opinion of her. ... All of that stuff about being gender and race inclusive is all for show, just like a politician.

1. Write your own fan fiction, unless Kennedy is barring you from doing so. Is she?

2. WTF? Is Star Wars only for white cisgender males?

There are definitely no Wookiees in the Lucasfilm or Disney production teams. Probably no Sullastans, Bothans, Rodians, Hutts, Gamorreans, Ugnaughts, Kaminoans, or Geonosians, either. Institutional species-ism is at fault, no doubt.

At least they're not hiring 'droids, though, and taking jobs away from hard-working organics.

Do you not see the irony of what you're saying?

Everything you say about her is exactly how you are about the new canon. It doesn't matter that the vast majority of people who see the movies don't read the books-- screw them, it's what YOU want that's most important.

She's not doing anything that Lucas wouldn't have done to make the ST. There is no way to have more Star Wars movies with the OT cast without ditching the EU the way they did. I know your answer would be "then don't make the movies" but you are in a very slim minority who would feel that way.

To hang it all on Kennedy as the one great evil and discredit what she's accomplished is crap.

Can we really blame Filoni for not killing off characters? He is making cartoon shows aimed at the younger end of the demographic spectrum and making them accessible to the older end at the same time.

(I was actually shocked a couple of times in TCW at the level of graphic violence, incidentally.)

I'm actually pretty impressed with what Filoni has done.

I think he;s done a great job. The Clone Wars was like a multi-season apology for the PT.

But I CAN still blame him for this mess because he could have avoided it by not adding Jedi characters in to begin with. It would be a very different show, and many would argue without a Jedi it's not Star Wars-- but this is a corner he knowingly painted himself into.

But I CAN still blame him for this mess because he could have avoided it by not adding Jedi characters in to begin with. It would be a very different show, and many would argue without a Jedi it's not Star Wars-- but this is a corner he knowingly painted himself into.

YUP.

I wanted Rebels to be about the formation of the Rebel Alliance. Not weird Mortis stuff. And I hate that Ezra is probably going to survive and we have to bend over backwards trying to retcon why and how another strong Force user is alive during the OT.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.