The Greatest Showman

Guest Robin

Anyone else seen this film?

Ive seen it four times, which wasnt planned, just kinda spur of the moment. Anyway...

The critics that blast The Greatest Showman as slickly produced are spot on. The critical points about the story taking liberties with historical notes are valid, but yet while making such points they seem to ignore that this is not an academic biography. Another point made against the film is that it is dishonest, that it only shows the dreamy-eyed P.T Barnum. To that point I can only assume the critics were so distracted by the films pace that they did not digest the verse and quips present throughout the film.

In some ways those critical points remind me of those against Disney's Pocahontas and its horribly washed clean captain. I think the Greatest Showman could have fallen into that trap, but it seems like the creative team behind this film were concerned with that as well. They took every chance they could to allow us to peek behind the curtain while not, as true hucksters say, letting the truth get in the way of a good story.

In one of the more curious critical points one critic complained that the film nearly turns Barnum into Jesus. After I laughed so hard my side hurt, I will say that if this Barnum must be squeezed into any Biblical figure then he is the fallen Lucifer... but one with a forgiven destiny. This Barnum, once a beautiful and dreaming child, is destroyed by the world he lives in and by his own hubris. Hes then saved only by the grace of those he stood upon, without them he would remain broken and defeated. But anyway...

I love that the film brims with escapism and irony. A moment has Barnum bemoaning that his father, he and his children are being treated like dirt all the while he himself is treating people like dirt. A musical number literally sweeps peanut shells away as Barnum has decided to disregard his circus employees for more money and fame. Blink and you miss it subtly like that is then wrapped up in a film which relishes in delivering its messages like lightning fast punches right thru your face... and really, maybe our society needs some repetitive bonk bonk on the head right now.

Without spoiling the magic, I can stress that Hugh Jackmans romanticized Barnum lives through an entire arc built on balancing needs and wants, compassion and greed within a package as dazzling as a circus itself.

This film appears to be a real critics hate it and audiences like it film. What all of this actually means to the films quality I dont know. I do however know that I love singing along to it.

Loved it.

It's a musical, not national geographic. It's not meant to be historically perfect. Great story, good characters, and the singing and dancing pieces were integrated well and didn't slow down the pacing of the story. Jackman was good, even Efron was good, however the singing and dancing are within his wheelhouse enough that it makes up for any lack in acting ability.

I thought I was the only one that loved this movie and was afraid to start a thread. :lol:

I went to it with a friend, with no desire to see it whatsoever. And I loved every minute of it. On the way out of the theater I was thinking there had to be a lot of good reviews on this film so I looked online after and was confused. Did the critics see the same thing I saw or to be praised by a critic must the movie have a serious/dark/political agenda?

Do I think it was Best Picture worthy? No, but I can tell you from beginning to end I seriously enjoyed myself. I came home and bought the soundtrack on iTunes. Great movie.

Jackman was awesome and so was Efron. But I think Michelle Williams impressed me the most. I don't know why. I guess because with Jackamn and Efron you know they can sing and dance but I wasn't expecting it from her.

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking while listening to this soundtrack that this film is like a great analogy for Merica. Maybe the western world in general. How we talk the right talk and have such awesome dreams about what the future should be. What we should do. And that we like to, consciously or otherwise, forget the darker parts of urselvws and our histories. Gloss over those deeds for those colors flying high. That while we have hose badnesses in like our histories, how we like can destroy ourselves whirling our minds in circles over those sins, as long as we acknowledge it as like a group you know then we have hope that from now on we can be better. Right?! Like. In fairness I have had a lot of top drawer top shelf? Margaret it itas. I love this move guys. Probably gonna see it again. Like Ibthink it will be the sixth time. Series let seriously the greasiest Showman is good

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.