The New Canon Books Thread

Mara Jade Skywalker

Oh man, I just commended you for differentiating between the EU and the new canon, and now you're referring to new canon works as EU. For shame, Mara!

Anyway, I have a friend who reads new canon stuff and determines if it is compatible or not with the EU. He's already reconciled several books and two comics, so I'll have to have him take a look at the Aphra comics and see if they are salvageable. I'd like to be as inclusive as I can be when it comes to the new Marvel comics, even if it's on an issue-to-issue basis.

I haven't really read anything except the TFA novelization and From a Certain Point of View - though I"ve read synopses to just about everything because seeing how the universe develops is still interesting to me.

I definitely recommend FACPOV to anyone and everyone though, lots of fun!

If it's not a movie, it's EU.

Tell that to LucasFilm; they disagree with you.

Although as a head-canon guy now, I would agree with this to a certain extent, but only in the case of either the old canon itself or works from the new canon that can fit within the old; and I would define "movie" in this case as only the six numbered films of the main saga, which would make Rogue One EU.

Yeah, you're right, Mara, it is easier to say. Hahaha! I would have come up with an original term, myself. I did propose a term here a while back that wasn't well received, so I will not repeat it now. :p

I would define "movie" in this case as only the six numbered films of the main saga, which would make Rogue One EU.

Well that's just weird. It's an official movie, not fan fiction.

To stay on topic - I almost want to revisit the original Star Wars novel, and maybe even some of the other old EU novels I have lying around. Then I'll get rid of them.

Again, I don't read the comics so I can't tell. It's considered part of the new canon (it was published after A New Dawn, which was the first novel after the Legends reboot). It just happened to be published by Dark Horse since the contract hadn't switched over to Marvel yet.

I think the reason I thought was a new one is because Marvel seemed to have released it under their name now, the order page for it has it listed as Marvel publication now. I bought the more recent Marvel one thinking it would somehow tie into the Dathomir run, sounds like I may have made an error in judgement on that one.

There was a more recent Darth Maul comic series published by Marvel. I read it and it was okay, but nothing especially interesting. It was one of the weaker series of the new comics. I've read almost all of them. The only series I stopped reading was the Kanan one. I read through the initial story arc that showed how he escaped from Order 66's implementation, but didn't care enough to continue after that.

I have enjoyed most of the series. Both Darth Vader series have been great. The first one introduced a character called Doctor Aphra, who is my favorite addition to Star Wars from all of the comics. Once that series ended, she got her own series that shares her name.

The main Star Wars book has been somewhat hit or miss. It has some nice arcs in it, but I am pretty tired of reading about the timeline between ANH and ESB, which it hasn't left, aside from flashbacks involving Obi-wan and Yoda.

The book that was consistently surprising to me was the Lando series. I don't want to give things away about it, but the story went places I did not expect for Lando.

The Poe Dameron comic is also hit or miss. I enjoy it because it is one of the few taking place near the ST, but it has been hampered by that timeline, too. It has had some great arcs and introduced a nice, new First Order villain, too.

I really enjoyed the first Vader series - Aphra was a great addition, but wasn't too fond of the evil R2 and 3PO droids. I've bought the Aphra series but haven't gotten around to reading it yet but looking forward to it. The Vader Down crossover was really well done as well but I agree they need to branch out of the timeline between ANH and ESB. It feels like WAY too much has happened in that space of time, where doing more between ESB and RoTJ would be more interesting. Since they've rebooted the canon, there is a lot missing from that time period. Be cool to see Luke really build on his learnings from Yoda.

I also thought the Han Solo series was fun. I'd prefer leave the Solo origins and stories of when he was younger to the comics, and if they had to do a spin off movie it should have been about his space racing they mention in Bloodline with Harrison Ford coming back for it. (wishful thinking he'd come back for a spin off)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.