Weaponizing hyperspace

Guest El Chalupacabra

• 3 weeks later...
Guest El Chalupacabra

Atomic Rockets, for being hard-science, in nearly every entry includes a mention of the subject being used as a weapon. There's also the "killer bus" from Rocketpunk Manifesto.

Interesting articles. Makes sense that if you are civilization capable of interplanetary travel, you would build interplanetary equivalents of ICBMs (IPBMs?) and the space-faring version of a fire ship.

I dunno, I felt the same way I did when missiles were introduced in AOTC. I just thought, where did this come from? And where did they go? I understand Y-Wings dropped ion "bombs" and Luke used a "torpedo" or whatever to shoot the exhaust port, but it just makes the "rules" of the universe feel less cohesive. Laura Dern using her ship as a weapon kind of felt like the crap cherry on top a storyline that felt too Battlestar Galactica-y to begin with. Sure, it makes for a visually stunning moment, but it begs a lot of questions... in contrast to Rogue One where ships were used as battering rams. That to me was more tangible, narrative-ly exciting and believable.

I agree, it's nice to have variety in attack styles from episode to episode, visually speaking. But if you want to live in the universe and make it make sense, you gotta ask yourself the question of why some things only make an appearance once then go away, or why technology in the films seem to evolve backwards.

I just really can't wrap my mind around stuff like this. At some point you have to accept that the movies are told out of order over the course of what is rapidly approaching a half century. Should they essentially just put a seal on ideas that were thought of in 77 or 80 or 83? That would be awful.

It really goes back to the old "it just doesn't feel like Star Wars" vs "it's too much like Star Wars" stuff. Don't come out with anything new and its just a rehash, come up with something new and it doesn't fit with what's already established. The space between those 2 things are, for some people, completely non existent.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.