Tax Cuts

Tex

What do you guys think? The Republicans say that 80% of us will get a tax cut. The Democrats say that only the rich will profit and destroy the middle class in the process.

I get the argument that trickle down doesn't work, but I am confident that it will boost the economy. I know this is a polarizing topic,so I'm curious to hear what you think.

Trickle down is 100% BS, but I also dont know that its the panic that Dems say it is. I know I personally will benefit, but I also feel a little dirty about it seeing exactly who and what some of the breaks are.

OverallI dont think it will help the little guy much, and while trickle down wont work, I suspect it'll balance out in other ways. I think its a dick move, but it will also force states to change things up, which is ultimately the part of the Republican smaller government pitch that I okay with.

At the end of the day, I kind of don't care. Im being a bad liberal, but the one area I lean conservative is fiscally. I work my ass off to make a lot of money and if I don't have to give as much of it away, great.

My partner and I Donate a crap ton to a couple charities. At the end of the day Id like to be in charge of how my wealth is spread.

I don't know. People piss on trickle dwon, but it did increase the GDP dramatically. For a while.

Then again maybe that's the point. As a nation there's only so much we can do for evereryone. In the old days we would rely on a plague, but today we just have a bunch of i complainers on the Internet.

I'm of the belief that the tax cut will benefit those that actually pay taxs. The rest can go go fuck themselves.

Agree?

The funny thing is that American conservatives portray themselves as the defenders of the free market, using "Reaganomics" (trickle-down theory) as the shining example of capitalism. Little do they know that the fee market and "Reaganomics" are two entirely different things.

I am an anarcho-capitalist, and I say taxation is theft.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Tax cuts are great so long as you curb deficit spending and trade deficits. With a national debt approaching $20 trillion, and no talk of either of those, cutting taxes for the top 1% without addressing them is highly irresponsible. It takes a lot more than trickle down to fix a national debt that high. Funny how the GOP had their panties in knots over the national debt under Obama, but now it's simply ignored. Oh well, politics as usual. Both republicans and democrats are scum. Nothing new.

Yeah, old and infirm people just need to hurry up and die.

Carrie Mathison! You're back!

As an aside, tax cuts are like any other form of public investment: subject to the law of diminishing returns. If you're cutting high rates of taxation, and tax levels are a barrier to domestic investment, they'll do wonders. But if tax levels are already low, or demand for domestic investment is also low and taxes are therefore not a barrier, they'll achieve little. It's something of a myth that cutting taxes will automatically result in more jobs. Not necessarily. Money saved from reduced taxation will go wherever it is deemed most profitable or useful. That can entail job growth, but doesn't necessarily have to.

The GOP constantly beats the drum of tax cuts as the solution to everything. The Dems constantly beat the drum of "tax the rich" and invest the moneys into social programs. Both are too "one size fits all" so to speak. Policy of this nature needs to be pragmatic.

I think the best part of the bill was repealing the Obamacare fine for not purchasing insurance. It literally undercuts the funding for whatever offset they needed to help the weak and infirm who are signing up for healthcare while the ones that are healthy can say "nope, can't afford it" and move on.

Guest El Chalupacabra

'Tis the season for doing one's duty and reducing the surplus population.

George C Scott is the best Scrooge, ever. SO much so, the GOP must have also been fans, and adopted his lines as talking points.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard recently that the tax cuts were meant to screw the blue cities that vote for hippy-dippy things like NYC and San Francisco. I've been trying to read up on how this is. I find it kind of interesting. The voters that got Trump in were mostly from hard hit areas of the US like parts of the Bible belt and middle states that you fly over.

Coal workers haven't been helped much.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.