Would you mind if they recast for Leia?

Metropolis

Guest El Chalupacabra

There's really no perfect solution here. Dying offscreen feels disrespectful to Leia, even if everyone understands why. Recasting or CGI feels disrespectful to Carrie Fisher.

Honestly, my preferred solution would have been to recut and reshoot TLJ so she dies in space and Poe learns his lesson from that. They probably felt that would have been disrespectful, but I think it would have been the best of the three options.

I agree 100%. Carrie Fisher's passing, from a dispassionate point of view (and with all due respect to her), will probably go down as one of the most unfortunate events in film history when it comes to a major film franchise, and the real life death of an actor or actress during production of that franchise. I wonder if in the not too far future, say in 10 years or so, when the emotion (and hype) of the sequel trilogy has long since faded, what film historians will say, and how it affected the sequel trilogy. I suppose it really depends on how episode 9 is handled.

I know and understand why they didn't alter Leia's story for TLJ and there really was no good option. They probably made the best choice of the three options, because I think a lot of fans probably would not have reacted well, had they decided to kill Leia off in TLJ. But I am in total agreement that if you took the emotion out of the decision, the best decision for the story going forward probably would have been to kill Leia off on the bridge, and re-write and re-shoot around that, with Holdo or Poe taking over the role of Leia for Episode 9.

I would compare this to the death of Heath Ledger just after the Dark Knight, which caused the Dark Knight Rises (I had once heard they planned to have the joker in TKR) to have a plot reworked, and did cause the plot to suffer, I think.

This is going to sound disrespectful, but Carrie Fisher's roles the last two movies were a little hard to watch for me. She looked and sounded every bit of the aging actress who has dealt with substance abuse. She was a far cry from Princess Leia for me.

I agree with you FJ. Having her die off screen would seem disrespectful. If they decide to recast they need the right actress. I don't know who that is and I don't envy then if they do decide to recast.

I don't think that is disrespectful, and from a dispassionate point of view, you are correct. Especially in TFA, one could tell that Carrie Fisher was having a hard time due to her real life struggles (maybe not the specifics, but one could tell "something" was going on), and her portrayal of Leia was affected by them.

In my mind, having Leia die off screen would both seem the best option, but also would seem disrespectful at the same time. There really is no "good" option. That is why I thought that if there were enough cut footage, along with a stand in actress shot from behind where you can't see her face coupled with a voice actor, as well as maybe a limited CGI over the actress's face for brief shots to help the scene flow better, could be the best way to write out Leia. But I am sure there are people who would find that offensive. But I believe I read somewhere a few months ago that Carrie Fisher's family did say it would be alright with them if something like that was done, namely the use of CGI in a well written and respectful way. I think if the family is okay with it, and has input with how any CGI or use of cut footage were used, that (to me, anyway), would be the best way to handle it. If the family of Carrie Fisher is okay, fans should be okay, too.

But that is all my opinion. I think what will probably will get, however, is a write out off screen, because I think the film makers don't want to be seen as doing something too controversial, and that would be the easiest way to handle it.

This is why I'm saying you make her a legend. Post TLJ, the Resistance is hitting hard. We can see holo-messages from Leia-- recycled footage with some creative audio looping (or get whomever voiced her in Battlefront 2 cause it's pretty close), she has a manifesto, she's a symbol, she's a beacon.

Then somebody-- like Lando, or another big asset joins the Resistance and asks to see her-- and is taken to her grave. She's been dead a monmth or so, and Poe was afraid of the Resistance dying with her, so he made her into an icon.

...and Padme could have lived after episode three.

Balony!

In both cases their absence would be a major distraction. People are spinning out on not having enough meat for Snoke or Phasma. You really think a sudden missing Leia would go over well?

Guest El Chalupacabra

This is why I'm saying you make her a legend. Post TLJ, the Resistance is hitting hard. We can see holo-messages from Leia-- recycled footage with some creative audio looping (or get whomever voiced her in Battlefront 2 cause it's pretty close), she has a manifesto, she's a symbol, she's a beacon.

Then somebody-- like Lando, or another big asset joins the Resistance and asks to see her-- and is taken to her grave. She's been dead a monmth or so, and Poe was afraid of the Resistance dying with her, so he made her into an icon.

That could work, actually.

I'm so not on board with Lando in Ep IX. I seem to be in the minority.

Lando making a guest appearance in Rebels...that's a fitting venue for that sort of thing, but I don't need to see another reminder of the OT brought into the films for fan recognition sake.

I want to see Lando, but it doesn't need to be a large part. I'd be satisfied with a cameo. It's just not right to me not having him appear at all.

I still don't think she needs to be dead at all in the Episode IX.

Sorry, I just flat out disagree with that. Her disappearing from the story for the conclusion of the ST either without explanation, or worse, being on some mission abroad while the other characters wrap up the ST, would not sit well with many fans, and would be a glaring omission for the story. That says nothing of failing to acknowledge real world events.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Unless episode 9 has a major plot point revolving around Leia (like what Tank was saying....make her a legend, but dead and Poe was afraid of revealing it to the Resistance, due to a fear of losing support), I think I agree with FJ. If Leia is dead by the opening of Ep 9, I could see a couple mentions beyond the opening crawl, but referencing her constantly every few minutes would wear thin for me.

I like the holo-message idea as well because it also works from a special effects sense. Rather than having to CGI a stand in actress to match Leia perfectly like in Rogue One, the message itself can be a little fuzzy. We've seen it already in the films that transmissions don't look perfect. It'll be easier to reuse cut footage from TFA and TLJ with re-edited lines if you garble it up as a holo message.

I think it will be implied Leia helped Rey in her training between TLJ and Ep9, as indicated by the end moment in TLJ. Leia will be dead when Ep9 starts and Rey will be mourning her, then Ghost Luke shows up for the first time. The idea that Poe uses Leia as an icon is neat and can also work here. Kylo and Rey then have more between them, continuing his soft spot for his mother by gaining the truth about her passing from Rey. Kylo is jailed/exiled at the end, right before the credits roll Ghost Leia shows up to speak to him, console him, calling him by his name Ben. Credits. Leia has the last word of the saga.

Yes. I am. /Kylo

Seriously though, I love Ahsoka but every time I see her in Rebels I wish Padme had served a similar role.

I get the sentiment-- but that doesn't work for people who just watch the movies.

Neither does her dying.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.