REYLO (spoilers maybe)

DANA-kin Skywalker

REYLO  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Will there be a romance between Kylo and Rey?

• Yes
    • No

'Strange that I did not'

It seems to amount to the same basic premise anyway; It was the drama of the love triangle people predicted. It could have been great, but I can see not wanting to do it as a filmmaker if everyone and their cousin are predicting it.

And that was George's true strength with the PT: nobody predicted he would do all that.

The Arthurian triangle was a thing people expected from the PT. And in my opinion, SHOULD have been there. That would at least have been something tangible for Anakin to be all dark butt hurt about.

I was never a fan of that theory, and it persisted past TPM's release.

'Strange that I did not'

Well, the Prequels were announced back before most people had even been on the internet and info like this came from your idiot friends who pretended to know more than they did and spread dumb rumors or magazines with short interviews that didn't really tell you anything, so not so strange.

It's so odd for me when people say that, I've said it before but Ill say it again cause ya know why not? This movie went very much how I expected it to based on watching TFA. At least with what to me were the major things I speculated about:

1-I thought Snoke would get little or no backstory and be killed by Kylo, who would take the mantle of Supreme Leader

2-I didn't so much think Rey's parents would be nobodies but I thought that was the best option

3-I thought Luke would 1-not want to train Rey, 2-something makes him want to train her, 3-trains her, 4-reveal traumatic event that led to fall of his temple, 5-has falling out with Rey where she leaves and Luke stays, 6-something convinces Luke to jump back into the fray, 7-he faces Kylo and dies. Which is basically exactly what happens.

4-It would end with the Resistance in especially pitiful shape.

And really that was just from watching TFA and taking what I thought would/should happen next. So when people say they don't think this movie continues on from what JJ did I just don't get it. It carried on from the end of TFA very closely to how I thought it would.

Wait. So AFTER the movie comes out, you itemize all the ways it went exactly how you thought it would go. Okay.

To be fair to myself I said on:

12/30/15

I hope she really is just a girl from Jakku. It would democratize the Force. I'm not crazy about how now it seems like you need to be descended from a Jedi to have the Force. It makes the Jedi seem like some super race.

12/23/15
I hope we see Ren grow in power, confidence and conviction during the movie. Finally surpassig Vader by doing what Vader always wanted to do and killing Snoke, taking complete control of The First Order. He then defeats Rey, but Luke arrives to save her. However Ren kills him too, Rey escapes.
11/30/17
Rey manages to get herself into a mess and captured by Snoke. Kylo saves her, killing Snoke. Rey thinks he's turned good but in reality he just wants all the power for himself and was tired of Snoke's abuse. When Rey refuses to join him it infuriates Kylo who, now fueled by the rush of power he got from killing Snoke is even more dangerous than ever.
12/29/15
I don't think we will get too much backstory on Snoke. He is there for Ren to kill. Rey telling him that he's scared he won't be as strong as Vader is there for a reason. Ren wants to be greater than Vader. What's one thing Vader wanted to do and talked about on more than one occasion? Killing the Emperor and taking his place. Ren will accomplish this.
11/30/17
I'd be surprised if he doesn't at some point. Rey needs to be the hero on her own, without Luke's help. If Luke in IX isn't going to be running around physically helping her then you may as well kill him in TLJ. You'd get the emotional gut punch, you'd put Kylo over and you can still have Luke as a ghost in IX anyway. The ghost thing completely allows them to have their cake and eat it too.
Now I won't say that I never speculated for any other theories/ideas. Two years is a long time and sometimes I will throw stuff up against the wall and see what sticks. However these points I all dd think/want us to see.

Sorry, my comment might have read harsher than I meant it. I thought it was a light poke, but it reads pissier than that. You made some good calls there.

That last one gets to something Ive thought about. Its kind of disappointing in a way that the big climax is Lukes moment. Rey gets to move some rocks.

I suppose you cant have Rey hero moments in all three episodes so it had to be different, but I cant help feeling Rey gets the shaft in the script.

Rey's story is different in this movie than we all anticipated, myself included. It really is about her looking for her place and home. In TFA she is waiting for her parents. Then she meets Han and thinks "hmm, maybe this is who I belong with". Nah, he dies. She goes to see Luke "oh this guy will understand me!" Nope, he wants nothing to do with he really. She turns back to trying to find out about her parents but can't get a real answer. She then even turns her need for belonging to Kylo Ren, who she previously hated. In the end this proves to be a false hope too. And to make that worse she finds out her parents sold her and are dead, so that totally removes that possibility.

However eventually she finds her way to the Resistance and this is where she belongs. While on the Falcon shooting at TIE fighters she even exclaims "I like this!" That's not some throwaway "we are having fun" line. She likes this, this is what she is supposed to be doing, fighting with the Resistance. She found the belonging she has been looking for for 2 whole movies.

And I didn't take your comment as harsh, I can totally see someone thinking "its easy to predict the movie after it comes out." But I knew I had posted some of that stuff here before so I just took a minute to find it. Plus it's not like Im not wrong about alot stuff. I 100% expected Luke to die and I really, really wanted Kylo to kill Snoke and take his place. I don't know why but I really believed that to be the way to go. As for Rey's parents to be honest I probably speculated about several possibilities. I didn't actually think they;d have Rey be a nobody but it is what I wanted.

I like your assessment of her story. Sounds bang on, but it still didnt feel satisfying to me watching in the theatre. Maybe it will on repeat viewings.

I agree with and like the idea that her parents being nobodies levels the playing field for who can become a Jedi. But I do wish it hadnt been a plot point then. Do we really need red herrings like that trolling us in the Star Wars-verse? Some argue that the fans built that up between the two movies, but JJ made her parents a plot point. TFA was all Rey waiting for her parents to come back, a Force vision of significant events showing her parents leave her... the fans didnt just invent that mystery. So its built up just for a *fart noise* moment, kind of.

When I saw this title my first reaction was "Nooooooo"...

On further consideration I'm now thinking "Absolutely no f'n way..."

Having got that off my chest, I will say that I liked the interaction between Rey and Kylo Ren. I feel they will always have a connection and in the end It will be her ability to embrace both sides of the force that will save the Galaxy and redeem Rylo Ren. But it will never be romantic.

Kylo miscalculated when he told Rey her parents sold her for drinking money whether that turns out to be true or not. It didnt have the desired effect because her sense of self actually goes beyond who her parents were. Unlike Ren who is tormented by the mythology of his family.

I like your assessment of her story. Sounds bang on, but it still didnt feel satisfying to me watching in the theatre. Maybe it will on repeat viewings.

I agree with and like the idea that her parents being nobodies levels the playing field for who can become a Jedi. But I do wish it hadnt been a plot point then. Do we really need red herrings like that trolling us in the Star Wars-verse? Some argue that the fans built that up between the two movies, but JJ made her parents a plot point. TFA was all Rey waiting for her parents to come back, a Force vision of significant events showing her parents leave her... the fans didnt just invent that mystery. So its built up just for a *fart noise* moment, kind of.

I think if you watch TFA it's obvious this was the plan the whole time. Rey has this almost childlike belief her parents will return. Everyone else thinks she is crazy. She is on the Falcon with Finn for like 10 minutes and is worried that she has to get back for her family. I mean she has been waiting for 15 years and is like "oh they could come back now." Its like a teenage boy waiting for a girl to call, hes been waiting a month but every time someone else in the house picks up the phone he is like "hang up, she could be calling!!!". She ain't gonna call pal. I mean Finn and Han both think she is crazy to wanna go back to Jakku. Maz tells her flat out that whoever she waiting to return isn't coming back. I mean you can take it literally to mean they won't physically return to the planet and get her or you can take it for what it really means which is "your parents are gone, they are out of your life".

I also think we need to remember that the actual shock/reveal is secondary to the effect it has on the characters. In Empire Vader tells Luke he is his father. Classic moment. But it's really great because of how it changes the characters. If Vader was the guy who killed Luke's dad its doubtful Luke would be trying to turn him back. Also Vader changes nearly immediately after his interaction with Luke. The Admiral loses the Falcon, does Vader choke him to death? Nope, he is already changed.

Some of the ideas about Reys parentage just wouldnt have worked. I mean Obi Wans granddaughter? Sounds cool at first but how would that affect Rey? I mean she finds that out and then is gonna have to have it explained to her who Obi Wan even was. Unless it was Luke or Han/Leia it really would have just been a reveal for reveals sake. More pertinent to the audience than to the characters.

Kylo tells Rey she is nobody and has no place in this story. Well I got news for ya pal, she is gonna write her own place in the story. She is crashing the party, Coming up with her own role and I got some more news for Kylo, he ain't gonna like it one bit.

I agree with this wholeheartedly

What youre saying makes sense, Choc. Im sure youre right that it was the plan all along.

To be clear, Im not taking exception with her parents being nobodies, Im taking exception with how its finally revealed. I need see the movie again, but it just felt so flat and clunky when it came out.

What youre saying makes sense, Choc. Im sure youre right that it was the plan all along.

To be clear, Im not taking exception with her parents being nobodies, Im taking exception with how its finally revealed. I need see the movie again, but it just felt so flat and clunky when it came out.

During the emotional climax of the most successful plot of the movie where he uses her parentage as his trump card for why her place is with him? Where he's desperate to get her to understand, she's brought to tears, and it was an open question for a moment whether she would join him?

It's not like it was just a tossed away thread. It had a purpose, had emotion, was well plotted, written, and acted, was spiced up by the rest of the plot of the film up to that point was finally coming to a head (the shuttles blowing up, Finn and Rose about to be executed), was touched on several times as being such a source of conflict for her that she literally sought answers in the Dark Side, and existed as a very Star Wars dilemma. Really, it was the sum of Rey's character motivation and for two movies.

Considering that the revelation, in a vacuum, was that there was no revelation, and I'm sure there are plenty of people complaining about it as if it were in a vacuum, I'm not sure what more you wanted to stop it from being flat and clunky.

I do need to see the movie again. Im pretty sure as a fanboy I was on overload watching the movie the first time, simultaneously analyzing it, simultaneously trying not to analyze it and simply experience it. I can only report how I felt on that first viewing. It felt like it should be building to a moment and then I felt like the air had been let out of a balloon. In a sad, disappointing way. Maybe thats the point. But it didnt feel important it felt anti-important.

I sincerely hope I will be one of those people who watches it another time and totally revises how I feel.

Person A: I did not like that movie.

Person B: You should watch it again before you decide if you liked it or not.

Person A: [slaps Person B]

Person B: WTF?

Person A: Should I slap you again or was once enough to know you didnt like it?

Haha.

I saw TPM three times in the theatre (as a 25-year old) and loved it at the time. I found certain things annoying, of course, but I was also so amped for the movie and so SW starved that I convinced myself it was amazing (and that its flaws could be overcome in the following movies).

I have since revised my opinion.

Its possible that now as a 43-year old, I went into TLJ with slightly high hopes, but didnt want to repeat the folly of my earlier years so I went he other way and was overly critical of the things I disliked.

Im just saying its possible.

I saw TPM twice on opening day. When we came out if the 11am showing I was slightly disappointed because I was expecting the greatest thing since sliced bread. After we watched the 8pm showing I walked enjoying what I had just saw because I had no expectations that second time. So I see where that thinking comes in. I liked TLJ better the second time, but I still have the same problems I did after watching it the first time.

Don't kinkshame.

Also every single person I know liked the movie more the second time (even those who really didn't care for it initially, like me), so there is some merit to that suggestion.

A fair point, but sometimes a movie just catches you wrong. You're in a bad mood, your mind isn't in the right place, your life has changed, etc.

The first time I tried to watch Moulin Rouge, I hated it and turned off it off after a half hour. The second time I tried to watch it I made it maybe an hour. The third time I finally GOT what they were doing and watched the whole thing. It's now one of my favorite movies and I've seen it dozens of times. Sometimes you don't GET a movie the first time you see it.

Not to say you should do this with every movie you hate the first time, sometimes movies are just terrible.

Imagine how many women would swear off sex forever if they followed this logic after losing their virginity.

Robin wants to destroy the human race: Confirmed!

I enjoyed TFA the first time I watched it (despite the best efforts of two older guys behind me loudly whispering their reaction to literally every single reference and callback, and decided to call me a cunt after the movie after I twice told them to shut the fuck up), but the second go around, I really disliked it, and every subsequent viewing just reiterates how much I feel that it's the weakest entry in the saga behind TPM, and every flaw becomes magnified whenever I watch it again.

Usually whenever I watch a movie, if I watch it for the second time and I don't roll my eyes or have an impatient reaction to a scene (ie. get it over with so we can get to the cool scenes), then it's a movie that won't rank among my favourites. I have that every time I watch TFA, but had none of it with TLJ; my reactions were far more anticipation. Rogue One only has that with a few of the early scenes, but I still rate it very highly in my personal ranking of the SW movies. There are a few movies I can rewatch without that impatience, and a only a couple of SW movies are on that list.

After seeing TLJ for the 3rd time I'm now thinking completely, totally absolutely no f'n way. But Repoe well maybe ;) No not really. That's just a joke ok.

I'm also thought Leia would redeem Kylo in the end. I still think it will happen but it will be Rey who does it. It should have been Leia but maybe they can write something into the story that makes Leia sacrificing her life the catalyst for Ben's redemption....and I'm an optimist and think that 9 will be great.

For the record, I was in the minority in that I thought Kylo would be redeemed in 9. I detected a nice pattern from TFA: 7 was Han's movie, and he died, and set up Luke for 8. So I thought okay, 8 would be Luke's movie, probably die, and set up Leia for 9. Leia-instead of dying, would live and redeem her son and wrap it all up. I thought this because killing Han didn't make him stronger, it ruined him-Rey beat his ass. That got me thinking redemption arc (I don't care he was Han effing Solo) I still think that was the plan through TLJ...although without Fisher I don't know what to think anymore. Maybe Rey, AND ghost Luke could redeem him? They cant just kill him and be done with it like Snoke. That's too dumb. I think 9 is going to suck either way because they lost the actor who played the key character to redeem Kylo, the point of the whole movie and central theme to Star Wars.

I love that Chewie is Rey's step-dad. Ferrying her around the universe in the Falcon with her pets and lightsaber practices and taking her to after school programs and visiting her weird boyfriend who's been sending her suggestive messages without his shirt on.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.