REYLO (spoilers maybe)

DANA-kin Skywalker

REYLO  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Will there be a romance between Kylo and Rey?

• Yes
    • No

I really felt that Johnson was killing the redemption arc in TLJ. He teased at it with their connection and sympathizing with one another, but ended with Kylo becaming the chief villain of the First Order and Rey the hero of the Rebels. Dismiss the 'closing the door' symbolism if you like, but it's crystal clear to me. They are done as any kind of friend, but they now share an intimate knowledge of one another to give more emotional weight to their next encounter (like Obi-Wan-Vader).

Apparently the word out of Lucasfilm is that the shirtless scene was done to show that Rey and Kylo could actually see each other. Sounds fine, but what we we're given would point to something bigger. The two come off as a couple a teens facetiming each other late at night. Then you have Luke busting in like a dad catching his daughter alone in her room with a guy.

There is just nothing at all attractive about Kylo Ren. For as much as people complain about the Anakin and Padme relationship being unrealistic, it baffles me that people actually want Rey and Kylo to be a thing. He's just a terrible human being.

Star Wars has always sucked at relationships. Han was an emotional infant so that one was painful. Less said about Ani and Padme the better. Now this.

Having said that, Lucas can be blamed for the first two disasters. I'm optimistic about these new writers having had a realistic adult relationship at least once in their lives so they know how to write one.

PS. I got sidetracked. My point was the bar for fan expectations has been set really low so that's how you get Reylo. Smdh

I really felt that Johnson was killing the redemption arc in TLJ. He teased at it with their connection and sympathizing with one another, but ended with Kylo becaming the chief villain of the First Order and Rey the hero of the Rebels. Dismiss the 'closing the door' symbolism if you like, but it's crystal clear to me. They are done as any kind of friend, but they now share an intimate knowledge of one another to give more emotional weight to their next encounter (like Obi-Wan-Vader).

Definayely, if you take it at face value, but in TLJ there were so many moments where I was expecting one thing and they did the complete opposite. So now I don't know what to expect anymore. I also get the feeling that Abrams had some general ideas about the story and Johnson went the complete opposite way with his vision. Now Abrams is doing episode nine now, maybe he'll re-flip the script back? I can't say for sure anything is off the table because these movies (so far) don't feel like they are part of one big vision to me.

It's so odd for me when people say that, I've said it before but Ill say it again cause ya know why not? This movie went very much how I expected it to based on watching TFA. At least with what to me were the major things I speculated about:

1-I thought Snoke would get little or no backstory and be killed by Kylo, who would take the mantle of Supreme Leader

2-I didn't so much think Rey's parents would be nobodies but I thought that was the best option

3-I thought Luke would 1-not want to train Rey, 2-something makes him want to train her, 3-trains her, 4-reveal traumatic event that led to fall of his temple, 5-has falling out with Rey where she leaves and Luke stays, 6-something convinces Luke to jump back into the fray, 7-he faces Kylo and dies. Which is basically exactly what happens.

4-It would end with the Resistance in especially pitiful shape.

And really that was just from watching TFA and taking what I thought would/should happen next. So when people say they don't think this movie continues on from what JJ did I just don't get it. It carried on from the end of TFA very closely to how I thought it would.

I am actually surprised, and to be honest I considered it for a minute, that there is not an outcry against Reylo because its a fairly sexist fall back that the female must be interested in saving this male with love and because love and love, people, she needs that man... even if he is a bad boy.

It's so odd for me when people say that, I've said it before but Ill say it again cause ya know why not? This movie went very much how I expected it to based on watching TFA. At least with what to me were the major things I speculated about:

1-I thought Snoke would get little or no backstory and be killed by Kylo, who would take the mantle of Supreme Leader

2-I didn't so much think Rey's parents would be nobodies but I thought that was the best option

3-I thought Luke would 1-not want to train Rey, 2-something makes him want to train her, 3-trains her, 4-reveal traumatic event that led to fall of his temple, 5-has falling out with Rey where she leaves and Luke stays, 6-something convinces Luke to jump back into the fray, 7-he faces Kylo and dies. Which is basically exactly what happens.

4-It would end with the Resistance in especially pitiful shape.

And really that was just from watching TFA and taking what I thought would/should happen next. So when people say they don't think this movie continues on from what JJ did I just don't get it. It carried on from the end of TFA very closely to how I thought it would.

Wait. So AFTER the movie comes out, you itemize all the ways it went exactly how you thought it would go. Okay.

I am actually surprised, and to be honest I considered it for a minute, that there is not an outcry against Reylo because its a fairly sexist fall back that the female must be interested in saving this male with love and because love and love, people, she needs that man... even if he is a bad boy.

I mean.. That's a fairly common place scenario IRL so I don't really see the sexist part. That shit just happens and often.

The whole "needing a man to be happy" is a fairly sexist trope, but I don't think that is what they would be shooting for if they're going for the Reylo plot.

I mean, that's one of the reasons I don't want it. It's stupid and gross and Rey deserves better.

There is just nothing at all attractive about Kylo Ren. For as much as people complain about the Anakin and Padme relationship being unrealistic, it baffles me that people actually want Rey and Kylo to be a thing. He's just a terrible human being.

You know I'm sure Rey hates sand as well. :p

Yeah, she wouldn't be the one needing him, he would be the one needing her. It doesn't fall into the trope he described.

But what would Rey get out of the relationship?

Nothing, its one sided.

He now has the entire First Order but all he wants is the one person who has power like him. Hes going to destroy worlds to get her.

And she is unmoved and realizes she has to put him down.

The real world allegory is that he is a bro who cant accept rejection so he tells his friends that she "friend-zoned" him, but he's sending her dick pics and alternating between saying he loves her and she's a bitch for not giving him a chance, with discrediting and gaslighting her on social media.

So she calls him out.

To be Claritin, I was speaking about across all the other places rather than critiquing people here.

Edit: Whatever, it workspace Im leaving it in.

Edit: hahaha

To be Claritin, I was speaking about across all the other places rather than critiquing people here.

Edit: Whatever, it workspace Im leaving it in.

Edit: hahaha

You're high on Claritin all right...

She's Helen of Troy mixed with Achilles and he's Paris?

Hey that reminds me, wasn't there speculation of an Arthurian allegory at play in TFA? I guess RJ tossed that too. Or I'm too dense to see it.

The Arthurian triangle was a thing people expected from the PT. And in my opinion, SHOULD have been there. That would at least have been something tangible for Anakin to be all dark butt hurt about.

The allegory is still there in the sense of the ST being a battle over the future / control of something with Rey being the rightful heir v imposter Kylo, and 'Excalibur' has been broken (Rey will probably fix it herself instead of take it to someone else), but there was hardly any emphasis on Anakin's lightsaber being special (and Kylo wasn't repeating his claim on it during their chats) in TLJ and it looks like neither Rey or Kylo will kill the other unless they have to.

The Arthurian thing would have only stuck as Luke v Snoke using Rey and Kylo as proxies, so Merlin v Morgana via Arthur v Mordred, but Luke and Snoke might have never met each other going by TLJ.

Ending could be a bit Arthurian. Rey kills Kylo, but is mortally wounded and asks Finn to set the lightsaber adrift in space until it is found by the Force' next champion...

If carefully placed, just suggested and then dug into by Anakins paranoia that might have been a fun fan twisting mystery box. Did they really? Are the twins Anakins or Obi-Wans? The answer of course is laid out in Obi-Wans and Padmes displayed personalities, even if there was attraction it would stay at the Romantic Courtly level.

But alas, this just makes me want an adult Anakin for three films to really weave all the subtext in. Oh well. What is what is.

The Arthurian triangle was a thing people expected from the PT. And in my opinion, SHOULD have been there. That would at least have been something tangible for Anakin to be all dark butt hurt about.

I mostly remember people thinking the PT would be Othello (not that there aren't similarities between O and Arthur)

The Arthurian thing I heard more after TFA (as outlined above by bleh) particularly with Knights of Ren and a sword in the stone (snow).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.