The Last Jedi Box Office

Poe Dameron

Guest El Chalupacabra

TLJ as of 1/17/18 earned $1,271,869,943

Rogue One made $1,056,057,273

TFA made $2,068,223,624

Disney paid $4.05 billion for LucasArts. Can it now officially be said that Disney has made back its money, and everything it makes from this point forward on Star Wars, or other LucasArts properties, is nothing but profit, now?

Guest El Chalupacabra

I didn't account for that, I suppose. I was just going by box office only, but I am sure the merchandising probably did put Disney over the top, anyway.

TLJ as of 1/17/18 earned $1,271,869,943

Rogue One made $1,056,057,273

TFA made $2,068,223,624

Disney paid $4.05 billion for LucasArts. Can it now officially be said that Disney has made back its money, and everything it makes from this point forward on Star Wars, or other LucasArts properties, is nothing but profit, now?

While I'm sure Disney is raking in huge stacks of cash, I wouldn't be surprised if they're still in the red on the LucasFilm purchase. The movies aren't free to make, advertise, and distribute. Theaters and foreign countries take their share. They hardly get 100% of the merchandise sales. The tax man wants his cut.

Not saying Disney's poor, just that $4 billion is a huge amount of money.

I'm sure Disney is happy with the purchase whether they've actually made back the money yet or not, they certainly will eventually. They probably haven't yet since though since they've likely spent another billion dollars producing and marketing the movies plus they don't get anywhere near 100% of the box office anyway. Im not too up on these kinds of business deals however does Disney just like cut a check and pay 4 billion for Lucasfilm or is it financed? I doubt that Iger went to the ATM, withdrew some money and all of a sudden Disney has 4 billion dollars less. Maybe it does work that way?

Either way The Last Jedi has crossed 600 mil domestic, it took a whole 37 days!!! Third fastest ever. Do you think Disney can stay in business with this?

I think you have to take into account everything Disney is getting from owning Star Wars. It's not just the films-the cost of making them and the box office. There's all the merchandise, games and books. Every Star Wars tie-in now goes directly into Disney's pockets. Plus Star Wars Land is currently under construction at Disneyland. Once that opens it's going to create a huge spike in park attendance.

Disney obviously makes money from merchandise but they don't get all the money. I mean you buy a 10 buck Kylo Ren figure and the store you buy it at gets some of it, Hasbro gets some of it. How does that work with Hasbro? Do they pay Disney a huge fee for the right to make the toys and then Hasbro gets to sell them and keep the money?

Plus Star Wars Land is currently under construction at Disneyland. Once that opens it's going to create a huge spike in park attendance.

That's just another reason they'd still be in the red on Star Wars. Those expansions are costing about $1 billion a pop! That's before operating costs and maintenance.

It's going to be many years before Disney sees any profits on that investment.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to jump on here to say that TLJ just passed Titanic to become the 3rd highest grossing film in Australian Box Office History behind Avatar and The Force Awakens.

http://www.mpdaa.org.au/customers/mpdaa/mpdaa.nsf/HistoricalBoxOffice?ReadForm

I had predicted earlier that it would probably pass Titanic but I didn't think that Jumanji and The Greatest Showman would be so leggy over the the Summer holidays. So the fact that TLJ managed to hold audiences long enough to pass that milestone despite the strong competition says a lot about how beloved Star Wars is in Australia. Btw, I loved Jumanji and The Greatest Showman. It's been a fantastic summer of movies for me.

It looks like Worldwide TLJ will finish at 9th which is probably seen as a disappointment. But I can't help thinking that a series that has had the top 1 (TFA 2015 & TLJ 2017) or 2 (R1 2016) movie Worldwide for the past 3 years is struggling. It will be interesting to see how Solo goes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.