Weekend Estimate: $52,446,000 (-26.7%)

Wednesday: $21,846,132

Thursday: $19,490,329

Friday: $19,064,000

Saturday: $19,943,000

Sunday: $13,439,000

Domestic Total: $517,144,228

Foreign Total: $523,300,000

As expected, The Last Jedi did not suffer as big a drop this weekend as last. Though, I am a bit surprised by such a small Saturday bump. Not sure what the cause of that is.

Also, it should be noted that Jumanji has oddly gotten a 40% boost at the box office this weekend and has turned into a pretty decent hit for Sony. It's only been a few hundred thousand below The Last Jedi for a few days and is probably eating into its take a lot more than expected. Wouldn't surprise me if Jumanji does better than TLJ on Monday.

Weekend Full Results (3 day): $52,520,140

Weekend (4 day): $66,813,601

Friday: $19,029,250

Saturday: $19,924,241

Sunday: $13,566,649

Monday: $14,293,461

Pretty good Monday. First day that it's passed The Force Awakens day-to-day, though it's a holiday. Hopefully, this means that there's a little more juice in the weekday numbers as many students are still out of school, though many adults are now going back to work. As I surmised, Jumanji has passed The Last Jedi. It's become a surprisingly big hit. It might be making a run at Sing's record for biggest movie to never hit #1 on a weekend.

Also, I'd like to remark at how perfected the whole box office estimates are. They are generally bang on accurate despite often making predictions about Sunday before the evening rush of movie tickets even happens. It used to be a pretty spotty process that was sometimes manipulated by studios, but the adjustments when the full results come in these days are usually only a few percent off.

Tuesday: $7,876,574

Wednesday: $5,225,332

Thursday: $4,348,867

Domestic Total: $548,962,602

Worldwide Total: $1,122,462,602

We're starting to see a clearer picture as the seeming random quality of TLJ's run recedes now that the holidays are behind us. From here, Rogue One made another $77 million. TLJ has been trending a bit ahead of Rogue One, but I wouldn't be surprised if it fell a bit behind in the day-to-day after some time. So let's estimate about $70-85 million left in the tank domestically. So figure about a $625 million run by the end. It'll be close whether it passes The Avengers for #5 on the all-time list.

Yeah, we can expect multiple billion+ movies every year from this point. It's not that big of a deal. It wasn't long ago that Titanic was the only billion dollar movie and it stayed that way until Return of the King a full six years later, and it didn't just crawl above that mark, I don't recall if it was just above or just below $2 billion (I believe it was above), but it was well double what any other film pulled in for years. Just a beast.

Weekend Estimate: $23,551,000 (-55.2%)

Friday Estimate: $6,584,000

Saturday Estimate: $10,529,000

Sunday Estimate: $6,438,000

Domestic Total: $572,513,602

Foreign Total: $632,700,000

Worldwide Total: $1,205,213,602

An expected steep drop this weekend at the end of the holidays (both Rogue One and TFA experienced drops in the mid-50s as well). This sets up TLJ to be just shy of the $600 million mark coming out of the MLK weekend boost.

People are saying that Star Wars is done on some of the Box Office Analysis sights. How can a series that has topped the North American Yearly Box Office 3 years in a row be done? I'm pretty sure Solo won't top the Box Office next year what with a new Avengers and Avatar 2 on the schedule but even that doesn't mean star Wars is "done". It only means Star Wars will probably from now on act like the comic universe movies. I suppose in that sense Star Wars is done being Star Wars. I suppose that's what many fans are a little sad about. Personally I'm just happy that I will be able to hang out in the Universe for many years to come.

Even The Phantom Menace made money. Bad word of mouth means little to Star Wars.

It's going to get interesting if the Han Solo movie also falls flat. If that happens I think you'll see a huge drop off for ep 9.

"...also falls flat"???? I think becoming one of the top 5 movies of all time (probably top 10 internationally) is hardly falling flat. But the perception that it has "fallen flat" is what I don't understand especially when people say it as if it's a real thing not just an opinion.

Yes more and more movies will make 1bill.

In the last 3 years, 13 movies have 1bill plus - 3 of those were Star Wars movies. The big question for the North American Box Office is who will crack the 1bill domestically. Will it be a Star Wars movie? IX is the best bet for Star Wars. Solo wont do it. Avengers seems to do better OS than in North America. So the only possible competition is the next Avatar.

Meanwhile in Australia, TLJ is looking pretty good. Up to date figures are always hard to come by but as of Dec 31st it had AUD45mill. Remembering that Australian schools and university are still on holidays (schools for another 2 weeks, unis for up to 1.5 months) it's still feasible that TLJ could make somewhere between 8-10 mill more. 8 will see it's all time figures somewhere around Jurassic World at 5 and the Avengers at 6. If it can mange to make it to 10mill extra from here on then it will top out at 55-56 mill placing it above The Avnegers and just below Titanic. Avatar is still number 1 with a huge AUD115mill followed by TFA with AUD93.9mill

Oh and TLJ is the highest grossing movie in Australia in 2017. So falling flat? I'm not so sure.

The story that the movie fell flat is just wrong. Its going to come in around 635 mil, thats a huge, huge hit. It's about a 30% drop from TFA, which is almost exactly in line with the drops from Star Wars to Empire and from Menace to Clones.

When movies break the domestic record people seem to think other movies will fall in line with it, but thats not what happens. The record breaking movies generally blow away the old record. Titanic, Avatar and The Force Awakens all blew away the previous record. Just recently did movies start making what Titanic made during its original run, which was about 600 mil.

The Force Awakens went crazy, it didn't set a new standard it was an outlier. In general there is a limit to what movies can make, right now its probably right around where TLJ will come in. With inflation some movies will pass TLJ and Avengers Jurrassic World but I'd think TFA will hold the record for a bit. However when it falls it will likely be passed by a couple hundred million bucks. What will happen is that years from now wtih inflation another movie will "go crazy" and blow the record away.

The Last Jedi is a monster hit and did essentially what any sane person would think it would do.

It only means Star Wars will probably from now on act like the comic universe movies.

That's the big downside for these side movies. Star Wars should be special, not something that is run into the ground until it becomes unprofitable.

I'm pretty sure Solo won't top the Box Office next year what with a new Avengers and Avatar 2 on the schedule but even that doesn't mean star Wars is "done"

Avatar 2 won't be out until 2020... maybe.

It fell flat. People went to go see it because it was Star Wars, Even if they heard about fans being disappointed they went out of curiosity.

It's just not a good Star Wars movie. It's not a good movie period. I guess the prequels proved that all you have to do is put a Star Wars logo on a movie and people will watch it, but I can't say that I'm too surprised now that the Transformers are even a thing, let alone a money making franchise.

Someone's trying to build a narrative.

Look, I won't bother arguing whether it was a good movie or not. I certainly thought it was a big improvement. But the idea that there was vast disappointment is something you hear from the noisy minority. The people who actually go out and survey the people who watch the film get something different. It has an A from Cinemascore and on ComScore/Screen Engine it received 89% positive response, only 1% off of The Force Awakens.

It can be objectively stated that audiences liked the movie. When they talked to their friends, most people were told that it was good.

Everyone I know liked to loved it. Anyway...

I just found some up to date Aussie figures and as of this weekend TLJ is at AUD51.3mill. That means it it less than 2mill off the Avengers in all time 4th place at AUD53.2. Titanic in 3rd place at AUD57.6 is looking quite likely to fall. That is way beyond my expectations.

I have a Gold Class ticket and was thinking of going and seeing TLJ tomorrow on my own as a way of getting out of the house when my daughter has some friends over. I just had a look at the sessions and they are already quite full. I was expecting to be almost on my own with my pick of seats. So much for some peace and quiet.

Guest El Chalupacabra

It only means Star Wars will probably from now on act like the comic universe movies.

That's the big downside for these side movies. Star Wars should be special, not something that is run into the ground until it becomes unprofitable.

Agreed.

But will Star Wars cease to be profitable? As in lose money? I don't see that happening any time soon. I think even if the Han Solo movie is a gawd awful mess, it will make a ton of money. Maybe not to the level of the episode movies, or R1, but I think it is safe to say it will make at least $500 million world wide, and I wouldn't be shocked if it gets over $700 million.

As far as "the narrative" is concerned, I think that's just social media nowadays. A movie like Guardians of the Galaxy was considered a major hit with a worldwide gross of $773,328,629 while Suicide Squad was seen as a huge flop, yet it finished with $746,846,894.

Anyone who called Suicide Squad a flop is an idiot and I'm not aware of any serious person who did. Turning a poorly made and reviewed movie about a bunch of D-List villains plus Harley Quinn into a $700 million movie was a minor box office miracle.

If fandom is not satisfied, they have the angry voices to make it seem like a flop regardless of money. It doesn't hurt the bottom line for a studio's profit, but they definitely sweat it as maybe crushing the pre-sell ability of its follow up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.