The Star Wars Episode 9 speculation and things you want to see thread (TLJ spoilers)

Guest El Chalupacabra

When

That's why I don't get it when people say they wanted to see an Anakin in the prequels more like Kylo Ren.[/size][/font][/color][/background]

I've said that repeatedly.

It's not a literal plot desire, it's more performance and character traits than anything else. Yes, when we meet Kylo he was already deep in-- but we know the back story and can fill in some of the blanks.

I would have preferred a TPM with a totally innocent Anakin, who has one outbust of anger in the mix somewhere, but it's a scary one. In AOTC he's like Luke-- he's considered one of the best at what he does, he's gotten cocky-- but where Luke was impatient, Anakin would be angry. The ROTS Anakin would have been like Kylo Ren-- that anger coming to the surface, his ego taking over. Him killing Padme the way Kylo killed Han.

You all know I could talk for pages about my issues with the PT, but one of the biggest ones is that Anakin never does anything to truly make us hate him. Yes, he kills younglings has Sith eyes and stabbed Shaak Ti in a cut scene-- but none of that has any real weight in the story. Those are characters we don't know really, or care about. Had he killed Padme, that would have been a pivotal moment that tells us he's legit evil.

When

That's why I don't get it when people say they wanted to see an Anakin in the prequels more like Kylo Ren.[/size][/font][/color][/background]

I've said that repeatedly.

It's not a literal plot desire, it's more performance and character traits than anything else. Yes, when we meet Kylo he was already deep in-- but we know the back story and can fill in some of the blanks.

I would have preferred a TPM with a totally innocent Anakin, who has one outbust of anger in the mix somewhere, but it's a scary one. In AOTC he's like Luke-- he's considered one of the best at what he does, he's gotten cocky-- but where Luke was impatient, Anakin would be angry. The ROTS Anakin would have been like Kylo Ren-- that anger coming to the surface, his ego taking over. Him killing Padme the way Kylo killed Han.

You all know I could talk for pages about my issues with the PT, but one of the biggest ones is that Anakin never does anything to truly make us hate him. Yes, he kills younglings has Sith eyes and stabbed Shaak Ti in a cut scene-- but none of that has any real weight in the story. Those are characters we don't know really, or care about. Had he killed Padme, that would have been a pivotal moment that tells us he's legit evil.

The more I think about the prequels, the more I think it should have been Anakin's fall. Basically flat out the fall. Not his discovery, not his rise. Start it with a 25 year Anakin who is already done with his training. He is the epitome of the perfect Jedi. Then the 2nd movie is his struggling with temptation. The 3rd movie is a last ditch effort by his friends to bring him back which ultimately fails when he does something truly terrible, killing Padme.

The same thing goes with the overall plot too, start us knee deep in the Clone Wars.

Star Wars works best when it's somewhat dealing with the fall out from other major events. Even if you wanted to keep the basic structure of the prequels, TPM should start later. It should start with the good guys arriving on Tatooine. Think about this: The crawl from ANH tells us an exciting story, Rebels from a hidden base won a battle and stole plans to a weapon and are now being chased by bad guys! That's exciting, hell is the third act of Rogue One, which is great.

Compare that with TPM which tells us the most boring crap ever. Now what if the crawl of TPM told us of the first act of that movie? What if the crawl said something like "The peaceful planet of Naboo has been invaded by the droid armies of the evil, greedy Trade Federation/However 2 Jedi Knights, the keepers of peace and justice throughout the Galaxy helped the young Queen of Naboo in a daring escape/During this escape their ship recieved severe damage and is unable to make the long journey to safety, hoping to find help they head for the desert planet of Tatooine...."

You feel like you are being dropped in the middle of something exciting.

I always thought, pre-PT, that the Clone Wars were already raging. Obi-Wan was a Jedi, Anakin was some rando pilot and they end up on a mission together. Obi-Wan senses the force in him and sees his potential and decides to train him.

I thought the turn would always be Anakin's overconfidence. That he dipped into the dfarkside to "get on the inside" as it were with the bad guys-- but once in, he wasn't strong enough to pull out.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I always thought, pre-PT, that the Clone Wars were already raging. Obi-Wan was a Jedi, Anakin was some rando pilot and they end up on a mission together. Obi-Wan senses the force in him and sees his potential and decides to train him.

I thought the turn would always be Anakin's overconfidence. That he dipped into the dfarkside to "get on the inside" as it were with the bad guys-- but once in, he wasn't strong enough to pull out.

I had a similar impression at one time. I envisioned Anakin's fall to be similar to Ulic Qel Droma after reading that comic arc back in the day. But before that, I had envisioned Anakin had simply was a flawed individual and he had been tempted by the quickness to power the dark side offered, and made a conscious decision to become Darth Vader. I also had envisioned Anakin being apprenticed to Obi Wan not at 10, but closer to Luke's age in the OT and he had problems with anger and impulsiveness, and desire for adventure, probably from Yoda's justifications for not training Luke in TESB.

Yeah, the conversations in ESB, specifically them talking about Luke choosing the quick and easy path like Vader did, gave me similar assumptions about Anakin's fall. I'd always assumed that he dabbled in the dark side because the Jedi training was somehow failing him.

Since we don't know much about Ben Solo's fall, I'm kind of hoping they use that idea for him, whenever and however they get around to telling that story.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah, the conversations in ESB, specifically them talking about Luke choosing the quick and easy path like Vader did, gave me similar assumptions about Anakin's fall. I'd always assumed that he dabbled in the dark side because the Jedi training was somehow failing him.

Since we don't know much about Ben Solo's fall, I'm kind of hoping they use that idea for him, whenever and however they get around to telling that story.

I get the feeling that when it comes to the movies, Kylo is Anakin 2.0 in that regard. We may get the story of his fall, but I doubt it will be in a movie. Gotta remember JJ "leave those teased plot threads dangling" Abrams is taking over for Episode 9. Plus, we got what we need to know from the episodes 7 & 8, anyway. Any detailed story about Kylo Ren's fall will likely be in the new EU novels and/or possibly a CGI series.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah, I like Filoni, but if they do a CGI series, but maybe its time to pass the torch to someone else for a change. I wasn't really impressed with Season 3 of Rebels. Also, I want to see Mark Hamill voicing Luke. If he doesn't, then it's a non-starter for me.

• 2 weeks later...

So I watched The Last Jedi again yesterday and I focused in on something. When the Resistance gets their message out they say the send it to allies in the Outer Rim. So I got to thinking, who is in the Outer Rim? You have a few familiars:

Dantooine: abandoned base so I doubt anyone is hanging out there

Geonosis: the Empire turned on them. Still don't think fans want to see bugs come to the rescue

Hoth: Wampas and Taun Tauns? No

Malachor: no

Ryloth: Twi'leks? Captain Sindula to the rescue? No

Tatooine: Sand people save the day?

Dathomir: the Nightsisters of Ren?

Utapau: No

Mandalore: interesting. Too rooted in the animated series

Or is Lando hiding on one of these worlds? It's the whole message thing that leads me to believe that a time jump won't happen if longer than a few months.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Why is everyone so fixated on Lando? Lucasfilm knows it's time to look forward, not back. You'll get your Lando fix in Solo.

Speaking for myself, Lando (and I am talking about Billy Dee Williams, not the new guy) is as much part of the cast as the big 3. Here we are, 2 movies into the new trilogy, and he doesn't have so much as a cameo? And Billy Dee Williams is on record saying he would like to be in it, to boot. Instead, we got some stupid CGI half-ass scoundrel/half ass Yoda-lite character in Maz. Seems poor form to me for Disney to take a giant turn on Billy Dee Williams like that. If Lando isn't in Episode 9, that will be pretty much unforgivable, and I may stop watching any other Star Wars movies after that (except Obi Wan..I will see that no mater what).

I don't think that distress call is going to play any more role in the story. There were no specific allies. "Allies in the Outer Rim" is just to show that any potential allies they had were pushed into the "Outer Rim" meaning the middle of nowhere, pushed to the edge of the galaxy, far away. There was no one specific there that Johnson was referencing. If you spend time trying to figure out who they were trying to contact and thinking it will play some role in the next movie you will be disappointed the same away anyone who thought we were going to get an explanation about Snoke or the map or how the saber got to Maz was disappointed in TLJ. Those things were never meant to be explained and neither is this.

Why is everyone so fixated on Lando? Lucasfilm knows it's time to look forward, not back. You'll get your Lando fix in Solo.

I don't need to see Lando, but what other allies could the Resistance have that can swoop in save the day and the audience give a flip?

BROOM BOY.

Seriously though, I think it's more of a concept than specific people. But I would not object to see Admiral Wedge Antilles come out of retirement....

Guest El Chalupacabra

I think that would be cool, too, but I seem to remember Disney tried to get Denis Lawson to reprise the role of Wedge for TFA, and he flat out refused.

Guest El Chalupacabra

So that the iconoclasts at Disney can just kill him off? They'd likely Admiral Ackbar Wedge. No thanks! I hope he sticks to his guns.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Well they pretty much have killed off 2 of the big 3 already, and we know Leia will not be back, so, yeah. Iconoclasts. That is their theme in TLJ. Let the past die, right?

Guest El Chalupacabra

If you guys can't tell, I am being flip.

But on a more serious note, do you really want to see Wedge brought back, just to kill him off? That is how it would likely turn out if they did.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.