The Star Wars Episode 9 speculation and things you want to see thread (TLJ spoilers)

Guest El Chalupacabra

Here’s my prediction for Ep. 9. I think General Hux is going to somehow play a part in the downfall of the First Order. Hux doesn’t get the recognition or respect he thinks he deserves. That’s been made pretty clear, and I think maybe that's leading up to something. I think that Hux will get fed up with his authority being constantly undermined that he finally throws caution to the wind and lashes out in some way against Kylo. This act of defiance will create internal discord within the FO. Carefully laid plains will go horribly wrong, allowing the resistance their victory. You heard it here first.

Interesting idea Q. I like it.

Alternatively, but in the same vein, Kylo kills Hux before he can become a threat to his rule and powerbase (maybe by setting him up for failure in an attack, or by sending him on a suicidal mission). Kylo might think this course of action - kill all potential rivals - would be one Vader would take. Rather than cementing his rule, though, it may cause mass defections (or at least internal strife) in the First Order, weakening them at just the right time to allow a fatal blow from the Resistance (or is it the Rebellion).

Heres my prediction for Ep. 9. I think General Hux is going to somehow play a part in the downfall of the First Order. Hux doesnt get the recognition or respect he thinks he deserves. Thats been made pretty clear, and I think maybe that's leading up to something. I think that Hux will get fed up with his authority being constantly undermined that he finally throws caution to the wind and lashes out in some way against Kylo. This act of defiance will create internal discord within the FO. Carefully laid plains will go horribly wrong, allowing the resistance their victory. You heard it here first.

Take a look in Hux's eyes when Starkiller Base fires in the Republic. Rewatch that speech he gives. I think Hux sees Ren as a detriment to the First Order. I see Hux turning the First Order on Ren.

In the next movie he has the Knights of Ren to come back him up.

He calls them all back, explains that he abandoned them because he was afraid of Snoke but now that he has killed Snoke they can accomplish together what they set out to when they left Luke's school.

However one doesn't answer the call, in the intervening years he has had a crisis of conscience about what they all did that night at the school. Rey seeks him out and this former Knight of Ren joins her against Kylo and the Knights of Ren.

Personally, I don't think this movie will at all see the fall of the First Order. I probably said this earlier in the thread but my guess is this:

The movie will begin with the Resistance desperately trying to find allies, to no real success. Poe will decide they need a symbolic victory to show the Galaxy that the First Order can be beaten. They will put together some huge attack on a prominent First Order planet, maybe the reinstated capital of Coruscant which through some daring moves by our main characters will be successful.

At the end of the movie the First Order will still be incredibly strong but they will have suffered a defeat. The Galaxy now believes they have a chance if standing up the First Order. Popular uprisings will ensue throughout the Galaxy.

Movie will end with Rey finding her first apprentice and beginning to train him or her and the real war between The First Order and a new Alliance will begin.

Skip ahead 15 years to Episode X where some new 18-20 year old whose had a hard life but is strong with the Force stumbles his or her way into this still ongoing conflict and rises in strength in the Force themselves.

I'm still feeling like we're going to get Jedi Finn...

But if Kylo calls back his old buddies to come back him up, that would be an interesting dynamic. That would be like the SS trying to run the Nazi party and rule Germany after Hitler were dead. Hux and the other old school Nazi officers will see them as a threat-- especially if Kylo's ego is what governs his rule.

Interesting idea Q. I like it.

Alternatively, but in the same vein, Kylo kills Hux before he can become a threat to his rule and powerbase (maybe by setting him up for failure in an attack, or by sending him on a suicidal mission). Kylo might think this course of action - kill all potential rivals - would be one Vader would take. Rather than cementing his rule, though, it may cause mass defections (or at least internal strife) in the First Order, weakening them at just the right time to allow a fatal blow from the Resistance (or is it the Rebellion).

But would Kylo ever take Hux seriously enough to bother removing him? My guess is that Kylo, like Snoke before him, just sees Hux as a lap dog, no threat to anyone. I really like the irony of Hux growing a back bone and having an uncharacteristic act of defiance at the most inconvenient time, and the entire First Order suffers for it. Either way, I'd be willing to bet that the Hux-Kylo rivalry is going to amount to something big.

I definitely would be all for a Hux mutiny against Kylo.

Hux ain't gonna do ****. He had his chance when Kylo was just waking up, all disoriented, and Hux bitched out.

We'll see. He got less and less silly as the movie went on, and the last look he gave Kylo was positively murderous. Kylo turned on Snoke, I think it would be super cool to see Hux turn on Kylo.

Whatever happens, I want Kylo to be alone and hopeless. :p

Guest El Chalupacabra

Here’s my prediction for Ep. 9. I think General Hux is going to somehow play a part in the downfall of the First Order. Hux doesn’t get the recognition or respect he thinks he deserves. That’s been made pretty clear, and I think maybe that's leading up to something. I think that Hux will get fed up with his authority being constantly undermined that he finally throws caution to the wind and lashes out in some way against Kylo. This act of defiance will create internal discord within the FO. Carefully laid plains will go horribly wrong, allowing the resistance their victory. You heard it here first.

Agreed, and I said something similar here...

Continuing on things I would like to see....

7. First Order defectors: While Kylo, Snoke, and Hux are unquestionably evil (though maybe Hux could possibly be redeemed...he unwillingly accepted Kylo as Supreme leader), how do we know that most of the First Order is? it must be remembered that the Empire was originally the Old Republic reorganized, and that essentially, the First Order was what was left of the Empire after the defeats at Endor and Jakku. While oppressive and brutal, there were many people who were loyal to the governments of the Empire and First order that could be argued as good people that were just indoctrinated. Much like say the average non-SS soldier was for Germany, or the average Japanese soldier was in WW2. Or the average Russian soldier under Stalin's USSR. They were people who were basically good, but indoctrinated into their government's propaganda.

So, it makes sense to me that maybe there are good First Order soldiers, as well. What if Kylo Ren goes so dark and evil, that entire legions defect to the Resistance? Like what if Kylo start obliterating entire solar systems on a mass scale? Right now, the First Order is so huge, that I don't see how the Resistance can hope to stand against something like that. How many survived TLJ? A hand full? Yeah, the good guys are going to need some help, and why not from some good guys, currently on the bad guy side.

I think there is a very good chance we will see First Order Defectors. First off, the resistance is all dead except a couple dozen people. The First Order wiped out the New Republic government, and fleet. The Galaxy cowered as what was left of the resistance was being destroyed. There really isn't an army to stand against the First Order. Would be interesting if some of the First Order becomes that army. Not to mention, Kylo threatened Hux with the idea of creating a new clone army in TFA. What if Kylo is unsatisfied with his troops (maybe defections are already taking place when we begin episode 9?), and decides to go all in with a Clone army, and starts killing his own troops with them, as well as other worlds considered to be disloyal? That could be enough to cause defectors in the First Order to stand with the rebellion.

Whether or not Hux is among the defectors is up for debate. I could see him being loyal to Kylo because he is a coward, or leading a First Order insurrection/civil war because he has finally had enough of Kylo, or even cowering to Kylo most of the movie, but switching sides at the very end and possibly being killed in the process sort of like Vader in ROTJ. The thing is I think Finn isn't the only one who defected out of a conscience, just the first one to do it. That leads to my second point...

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'm still feeling like we're going to get Jedi Finn...

But if Kylo calls back his old buddies to come back him up, that would be an interesting dynamic. That would be like the SS trying to run the Nazi party and rule Germany after Hitler were dead. Hux and the other old school Nazi officers will see them as a threat-- especially if Kylo's ego is what governs his rule.

This leads into what I think may happen with Finn. I've mentioned this before, but just for the sake of the current discussion, I'll mention it again. I am not discounting Finn may become a jedi, but I really think Finn's destiny is to lead an underground movement within the First Order to recruit defectors. In fact, the first movie he ran from the First Order, the second movie, he was willing to die a futile death in a lost cause. In both cases he didn't see himself as a hero. Maybe in Episode 9, he realizes the only way to truly win is to act like a hero, even if he isn't one, and try to inspire others within the first order to defect? I think that is a greater destiny than just simply becoming a jedi, which I have seen over and over in video games and EU. Everyone seems to become a jedi. Hell, even Leia basically became a jedi. How about a hero who doesn't? Besides, while Finn held his own against Kylo, I saw that as all martial arts skill, and he didn't seem force sensitive at all in the last two movies.

I definitely would be all for a Hux mutiny against Kylo.

Hux ain't gonna do ****. He had his chance when Kylo was just waking up, all disoriented, and Hux bitched out.
We'll see. He got less and less silly as the movie went on, and the last look he gave Kylo was positively murderous. Kylo turned on Snoke, I think it would be super cool to see Hux turn on Kylo.

Whatever happens, I want Kylo to be alone and hopeless. :p

I'd like to see Hux die because of Kylo's paranoia. Kylo thinks he'll turn and so chokes him out.

So who here thinks Kylo will survive the 9th movie? Like, be in prison or something. Now that they know they're going to do endless movies, I can totally see it.

I hope he makes it through. I'm adamant he should find some form of redemption or come back to the light but if that happens and he dies, it riffs on Anakin a bit too much. Leia was clearly going to be a huge part of his arc in the next one so interesting to see how it plays out. But I'm also sure he will make it through just for the fact he is the last Skywalker. I don't think Lucasfilm will want to end the Skywalker line completely without having the option to pick it up somewhere down the line.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.