The Star Wars Episode 9 speculation and things you want to see thread (TLJ spoilers)

Guest El Chalupacabra

Guest El Chalupacabra

We vary on a few of our respective ideas/wants, Tank, but the important stuff I think we agree. Even the ones that are different, I like your ideas.

I especially like that you pointed out there needs to be clarification on the geopolitics of the galaxy. I understand that in TFA, the First Order destroyed the Republic Capital, Hosnian Prime and other planets. But what about Coruscant? Was it also destroyed at some point? Is it still in First Order hands? How much territory did the First Order have at the beginning of TFA? I don't know why (maybe influenced from what I knew of the Imperial Remnant from EU?), but I assumed that the First Order had a minority of territory. There was at least enough territory for the Republic and the New Order to have a Cold War, so it implied to me they were nearly equal in power. Now it seems that with destroying Hosnian Prime, they somehow captured the entire galaxy. I know losing a capital planet and a few others is a serious blow, but the Republic now being destroyed by the beginning of TLJ, doesn't seem to match the end of TFA. Like you, I would be happy with just a few lines from C3PO in front of a map explaining this.

I also like how you point out that perhaps Rey's vision of the Knights of Ren was the future, not the past!

We also agree on Luke's ghost returning to confront/haunt Kylo. I know you like Excalibur, too. What do you think of my idea to draw inspiration from Merlin?

As to Jedi Rey, I WANT this! I want her to establish a new order. But as Yoda points out, she knows what she needs to know. I'd like her to establish a new order, with new rules. Maybe not even called Jedi? But definitely light side force users.

But as Yoda points out, she knows what she needs to know.

Yoda's certainly becoming more lax as he ages (or whatever he's doing as a ghost) about how much training is needed. He went from demanding the training begin in early-childhood or no training at all with Anakin and Luke, to demanding Luke stay to complete his training, to waving Luke off when he came back months later and dropping dead instead.

Now he's cool with Jedi training consisting of a few tips picked up one afternoon from a reluctant teacher.

I always liked to think that going from sitting in his castle over-looking the castle, to living in a hovel, that after 900 years and even dying, Yoda learned some lessons.

He wanted Luke to let Han and Leia die after he missed his chance to kill Dooku and end the war to save Obi-Wan and Luke.

Guest El Chalupacabra

But as Yoda points out, she knows what she needs to know.

Yoda's certainly becoming more lax as he ages (or whatever he's doing as a ghost) about how much training is needed. He went from demanding the training begin in early-childhood or no training at all with Anakin and Luke, to demanding Luke stay to complete his training, to waving Luke off when he came back months later and dropping dead instead.

Now he's cool with Jedi training consisting of a few tips picked up one afternoon from a reluctant teacher.

Rey is no ordinary Jedi, though.

And the thing Yoda (implies) and Luke (directly) makes clear is that the old ways are what lead to Palpatine taking over. Now that he has been one with the force for 30 years, like Tank said, he HAD to have learned something.

Personally I don't think the next movie will end the story, I think they will take a shortish break and come back for Episode X or at least plan to so they will leave meat on the bone to that end. I'd like something like this:

Opening Crawl explains 1-The First Order under Supreme Leader Kylo Ren dominates the Galaxy to an extent that even the Galactic Empire never achieved, 2-The Heroes of the Resistance scattered in an attempt to try to find allies to join their cause, 3-They have reassembled to make their first strike on the First Order.

The movie would start with their first attack on the First Order since the events of TLJ. The main plotline of the movie isn;t them actually defeating the First Order but of them getting to a point where they can even fight them. The movie would end with a semi victory for the good guys. The Resistance being a full on Rebellion and Rey finally feeling confident enough in herself begin training new Jedi. Last scene could even be Rey standing before several students about to give them their first lesson.

Personally I don't think the next movie will end the story, I think they will take a shortish break and come back for Episode X or at least plan to so they will leave meat on the bone to that end. I'd like something like this:

Opening Crawl explains 1-The First Order under Supreme Leader Kylo Ren dominates the Galaxy to an extent that even the Galactic Empire never achieved, 2-The Heroes of the Resistance scattered in an attempt to try to find allies to join their cause, 3-They have reassembled to make their first strike on the First Order.

The movie would start with their first attack on the First Order since the events of TLJ. The main plotline of the movie isn;t them actually defeating the First Order but of them getting to a point where they can even fight them. The movie would end with a semi victory for the good guys. The Resistance being a full on Rebellion and Rey finally feeling confident enough in herself begin training new Jedi. Last scene could even be Rey standing before several students about to give them their first lesson.

Do you mean end the story as in the characters will return as bit players in the next trilogy? Ideally they have to find an end to this story in some way.

3. Rey's TFA vision of the Knights of Ren. It doesn't add up with either Luke or Kylo's version of what happened. In TFA, we see Kylo Ren and the knights kill somebody, and it's raining. It's implied this is when he burned it all down. But in TLJ, in both versions of the story, Kylo was still Ben when he turned and left and set fire to everything... and it wasn't raining. I think it would be awesome if what we saw in TFA was actually Rey seeing her face them in the future.

That ran through mind while watching the film. The vision makes it look like the Knights had some kind of coordinated attack after Kylo decided to betray Luke and managed to kill all of his students. But the events as explained by both Kylo and Luke dont match up to that vision because it would mean a bunch of students decided to join Kylo and trash the place simply because one night he woke them and told them Luke had tried to kill him.

I know what I dont want to see;

Starships not moving but everyone acting like they are moving for chase drama.

Porgs. I dont have a hatred for them, but seriously more toy marketing there than teddy bears. At least Ewoks did stuff. Porgs are Tribbles with faces and legs.

More starring characters created instead of building on Rey, Finn and Poe. Look, Rose was sweet and that zap was humorous, but her last name was Superfluous. Chewie could have done that except for the fact that I guess he was with Rey and Rian was like why is he here, fuck, lets pretend hes not.

Hux.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Rey with a double-bladed lightsaber now that Luke's old one is good and destroyed.

I was getting ready to say that! I just came back from a second viewing, and when I saw Rey at the end holding the two pieces of Luke's saber, I had this thought of: what if she places each part on each end of her staff? Could be cool! Taking her own staff and Luke's saber, and doing something new, yet old, with it.

Another thing on my WANT list: If Luke returns as a ghost, please look like Legendary Luke from Crait!

Yet another want....If Lando doesn't return and doesn't join Chewie on the Falcon, make the Falcon the New Rebellion's (if that is what they call it) command ship, and either have Poe take over as Captain with Chewie as co-pilot, or make Chewie captain, and bring in Nien Nunb as co-pilot.

Guest El Chalupacabra

That's kind of what I want. The entire resistance on a couple ships, with only a fighter or two.

Agreed on the resistance remaining small. But in addition to that, I personally would like to see defectors from the First Order, even if at the very end and it turns the tide from certain defeat (space battle, I mean).

Plus Finn needs something to do besides follow Rose around like an over protective puppy dog! Have him be instrumental with rallying defectors to the Rebellion.

Addition to my list for 9.

That message from Leia that everyone ignored? ONE voice answers and comes to help the Resistance... Lando.

YES a thousand times!

Guest El Chalupacabra

And then he does a Holdo with the Falcon, destroying Starkiller Base II

:(

Admiral Antilles, please.

General Syndulla can also help.

I wouldn't mind seeing these characters in an Obi Wan movie, or a Rogue One spiritual successor movie. Not sure I would like them in Episode 9. Maybe descendants of them, though?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.