The Star Wars Episode 9 speculation and things you want to see thread (TLJ spoilers)

Guest El Chalupacabra

I like and idea where Rey is "being called" by untrained Force users throughout the Galaxy. Now these Force users wouldn't know they are calling to her but they are. Something like this: The Resistance really needs Rey but she needs to leave and find these other young, potential Jedi. Says something to Poe or Finn "I see the Galaxy, it's shrouded in darkness by the First Order but breaking through this darkness I see points of light, all throughout the Galaxy. They are like me, the Force has awoken in them they need help, they need guidance. I don't know if I'm the right person to help them, but I think I'm the only person who can."

So she goes off, spends the 2nd act of the movie finding one or two or three whatever potential Jedi. They show up at the end and help save the day, win the battle, whatever. Then the movie ends with Rey starting to teach these young people (and maybe more) in the ways of the Force.

What if instead of killing Kylo, Rey captures and imprisons him? (With the idea he'd be tried for war crimes) This could be a new path for the new type of Jedi, and would lead to the potential of him being in future movies.

That's what I was saying. And in episode 10, fifteen years from now he's still shut away, and she goes to him like Hannibal Lecter.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Uh! Tank, I love ya, but, just....no. The Skywalker story should end in Ep 9. I'd like to see other Star Wars movies that follow Episode 9, maybe even episodes 10-12, but set it in the far future, relative to Ep 9. I like Adam Driver, but I am not tied to him that much. There are other actors who could be great villains. If Kylo or Rey appear in 10-12 (if made), make them force ghosts or recordings. Though, really, they won't be needed at that point, any more than we need an Anakin force ghost in Ep 9.

4. Knights of Ren Explanation: So, we never quite got a full explanation of who the Knights of Ren are, let alone see them in action. Only hinted at in Eps 7 & 8. Apparently they were the jedi who followed Kylo, and it is assumed Kylo is the last of them.

Who assumed that Kylo is the last of the Knights of Ren?

I've seen that there are some people who have misheard the line "...the master of the Knights of Ren" (from Snoke to Kylo in TFA) as "...last of the Knights...".

Obviously, based on my statement, that is my assumption. And a lot of other fans have assumed this, as well. You may remember there was speculation a while back even on nightly as to whether we would see a flashback where Luke dispatches the other Knights of Ren in TLJ (which didn't happen). Maybe it is true they are gone, maybe not. One thing is for sure, though, we don't know what happened to them, which is what I want to know. if they are still around, I want to know that, too. See my point below that, on the Order of Ren. That might be a good way to introduce the Knights of Ren, if any still exist besides Kylo.

I'd like that Rey's vision in TFA with the Knights was actually a glimpse of the future. That IX has Kylo enlisting them to solidify his position as Supreme Leader, and he has specific intentions for Rey. (Of course, that doesn't explain his mask.)

re: Visions Visuals Not Matching and Kylo Renfaire Knights being in the future not the past...

The future, always in motion it is. Perhaps not the exact line, but close enough. Inconsistencies like Kylo wearing his helmet in a potential vision of the future are easily dismissed under that line alone. Also remember the cave. Luke was not literally Vader, nor going to put on Vaders helmet at sometime. What Luke sees is a visual he is able digest, what Rey sees is a visual she could digest.

Yes, and that brings me to something I noticed in the movie that I didn't the first time which is the misreading of the future by both Kylo and Rey. It happens earlier but mainly when Kylo is bringing her to Snoke. Rey tells him she sees his future perfectly clear, he will not bow to Snoke. Kylo basically says he sees her future and he knows she will join him. Ofcourse they are both are only seeing very small instances of the future and then using their own wants and desires to see what they think of as the logical and preferred future.

Yes, and that brings me to something I noticed in the movie that I didn't the first time which is the misreading of the future by both Kylo and Rey. It happens earlier but mainly when Kylo is bringing her to Snoke. Rey tells him she sees his future perfectly clear, he will not bow to Snoke. Kylo basically says he sees her future and he knows she will join him. Ofcourse they are both are only seeing very small instances of the future and then using their own wants and desires to see what they think of as the logical and preferred future.

And of course everyone was dead wrong. Rey said kylo won't bow to Snoke. It's the first thing he does when he walks in the room. Kylo said Rey will join him, she decides to leave. Snoke could sense people's intentions and still got cut in half. Luke pers into Kylo's mind and sees Kylo's dark future and he thinks about murdering him, which actually helps him along his dark path. Force visions aren't worth crap in this movie.

Visions of the future are accurate, if not complete and subject to updates.

Han and Leia were captured and subject to Imperial torture (well, Han was) and Luke saw it. But he didn't foresee Lando intervening. Probably because Lando had not decided to intervene yet. Does that make the vision Luke had wrong?

Did Rey telling Kylo that he would not bow to Snoke make him decide to bow? Just to show her up? Or was she referring to a metaphorical bow, as in Kylo remaining subservient to Snoke? Rey would easily be considered correct if the bow were metaphorical.

Rey did join Kylo, in fighting and killing Snokes guards. If that is what he saw, it would be legitimate for him to assume that she joined his side completely, rather than merely fighting to save her own life.

Luke saw darkness in Ben. His vision was not wrong or misleading. How far was Ben from declaring against the new Jedi order anyway? We will probably never know. Ben may have been a few minutes from waking up and doing the same thing to Luke, except that he likely would not have hesitated to kill Luke in his bed.

The OT established visions of the future are just mere possibilities. Yoda says "always in motion is the future" as a warning to Luke to take those visions with a grain of salt. They could happen, but if you take them as gospel, they may also come back to bite you in the ass. We then see this lesson in action throughout the rest of the OT and PT:

In ESB Luke saw his face inside Vader's mask - a vision of the possibility that if he did not learn to control his anger and was quick to jump into action without thinking he could succumb to the dark side like his father did. Basically he could become what Palpatine wanted, to take Vader's place as the next Sith apprentice. This vision almost happened twice, once in ESB on the catwalk when Vader tempted him to join him, and the other when he went berzerk and beat Vader down in ROTJ. Both times he chose death over joining the dark side.

The other vision you already explained. He saw Han and Leia in pain in a city in the clouds. He didn't see Lando's decision to intervene.

In ROTJ Palpatine continually brags about everything going to plan. On his arrival at the Death Star he says "everything is proceeding as I have foreseen" and then does his evil cackle. Later when Vader questions how they will get Luke to the Death Star, Palpatine tells him to just sit back and wait for him on Endor. "I have foreseen it. His compassion for you will be his undoing. He will come to you and then you will bring him before me." The Force even threw Palpatine a curve ball, warning him that he was not omnipotent and to stop thinking his visions were gospel when he failed to sense Luke had been in the stolen shuttle slipping into Endor. Vader tells him he felt his son on the shuttle. Palpatine questions it and is confused. "Strange that I have not." That right there was a red flag that Palpatine failed to grasp. Vader had a deeper connection to Luke than he thought. So all his bragging about seeing the future in which he wins was all for nothing because he did not see Vader would sacrifice himself to save Luke.

The PT then cements this lesson when Anakin chooses to act on his visions as if they were concrete to the point where he helps cause the very vision he was trying to prevent, Padme's death.

• 4 weeks later...

I find TLJ really put a cap on things and whats left is IX could really go anywhere. Obviously, there will be new force-users from around the Galaxy being discovered. Thats what I think was being hinted at at the end of TLJ. I basically want a new storyline. If things drag out from the last film Im gonna be very tired. A good part about ROTJ is we got the whole Jabba adventure, which was refreshing. We need something like that to make us get over everything that just happened. After all, half the cast got killed. Its just disappointing for someone who collects merchandise to not be able to invest more in the characters you have. Snoke, Phasma, they've reach the end of their line. I guess Im trying to say I want a whole slew of new baddies so that Snoke and Phasma could at least be part of a line. Id be pretty disappointed if Kylo was the only baddie in this one.

Other things I would love to see are

-Kylo with a new mask

-to repeat myself, new bad guys

-maybe a return of the Hutts and Tattooine. Maybe a return to Podracing!

Guest El Chalupacabra

OK I have a question about what everyone thinks about a time jump, and what is the maximum amount of years you think episode 9 can go past episode 8, and still remain believable, given the relatively young ages of the actors/actresses? Is it 5 years? Ten? Maybe 15?

I think a significant time jump of about 8 to10 years would solve a lot of issues, namely Leia's passing, but also would help set it up for Rey to have a lot of young adult force sensitives ready to answer the call of the rise of a new rebellion against the First Order. But having too great of a time gap might be a stretch for the younger lead actors, like Daisey Ridley especially (she could probably play someone 15+ years older as an actress, but they would need make up and hair dye to make it believable visually), if they went past 10 years. John Boyega could possibly pull it off, as with Oscar Isaac, with a hint of graying around the temples, Adam Driver can definitely pull it off with a withered face or just wearing a mask most of the time, I suppose, but still, I don't want to see episode 9 take place more than 10 years after episode 8.

All the actors could play 10+ years older easily, even without added gray or wrinkles. It's not as if their ages are well established anyway. But I doubt they'll specify any exact time span, any more than they did with ESB (I don't recall any dialogue specifying three years since ANH).

I don't see a time jump. Especially not that long. A month or two maybe. 10 years? I always think back to the distress call not being answered. Is someone going to answer it 10 years later? I also loathe the idea of Rey training new Jedi. Those books didn't help Luke that much. Is Rey going to figure out something Luke couldn't?

Guest El Chalupacabra

All the actors could play 10+ years older easily, even without added gray or wrinkles. Its not as if their ages are well established anyway. But I doubt theyll specify any exact time span, any more than they did with ESB (I dont recall any dialogue specifying three years since ANH).

Good point. After I wrote that, I thought of Padme. Her story spanned 13 years between TPM and ROTS.

I don't see a time jump. Especially not that long. A month or two maybe. 10 years? I always think back to the distress call not being answered. Is someone going to answer it 10 years later? I also loathe the idea of Rey training new Jedi. Those books didn't help Luke that much. Is Rey going to figure out something Luke couldn't?

Well I am not wild about Rey training jedi in the beginning or middle of the movie, to be honest, but I think it will come up in some fashion. Perhaps by the end, she establishes a new jedi order, which I would be okay with. They wouldn't foreshadow it, if that wasn't the intent. Then again maybe that will be one more JJ mystery box that remains unanswered. Wouldn't bother me if it were.

But I do think there will be some sort of time jump, if for no reason than to explain Leia's absence in the film. I think it is a question of how long. At least I hope so, because I think the distress call not being answered will not be answered. It was supposed to show the rebels are alone and the whole galaxy is cowering.

As for the books, maybe like Pav says, Luke didn't read them, or read much of them. I hate that explanation though. Makes Luke look like the worst jedi master ever.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.