The Star Wars Episode 9 speculation and things you want to see thread (TLJ spoilers)

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'm sorry, but the Skywalker family IS Star Wars and without them, even the main series would be little more than side stories like Rogue One. It just wouldn't be the same.

Oddly enough, now that Rey has turned out to come from nobody and is not related to the Skywalkers, it means this family has been nothing but a damn curse on the galaxy. Three trilogies where they've done nothing but cause the deaths of billions. Anakin helped bring the downfall of the Jedi and brought tyranny to the galaxy in the PT. As Vader he continued to terrorize everyone in the OT, allowing a whole planet to be obliterated, among other things. Now in the ST Kylo one upped grandpa by destroying a whole system rather than just a planet.

Even the Skywalkers who are supposed to be the heroic ones saving everyone from their own family failed. Based on what we've seen of the ST, Leia failed to unite the galaxy and end the Empire once and for all. Luke failed to do anything to prevent Kylo from murdering billions. Heck if it wasn't for Rey, he would've stayed rotting on that island while Kylo ran roughshod over what was left of the Resistance.

If you lived in this galaxy, the Skywalker name would be synonymous with Hitler or Stalin.

I'm sorry, but the Skywalker family IS Star Wars and without them, even the main series would be little more than side stories like Rogue One. It just wouldn't be the same.

Oddly enough, now that Rey has turned out to come from nobody and is not related to the Skywalkers, it means this family has been nothing but a damn curse to the galaxy. Three trilogies where they've done nothing but cause the deaths of billions. Anakin helped bring the downfall of the Jedi and brought tyranny to the galaxy in the PT. As Vader he continued to terrorize everyone in the OT, allowing a whole planet to be obliterated, among other things. Now in the ST Kylo one upped grandpa by destroying a whole system rather than just a planet.

Even the Skywalkers who are supposed to be the heroic ones saving everyone from their own family failed. Based on what we've seen of the ST, Leia failed to unite the galaxy and end the Empire once and for all. Luke failed to do anything to prevent Kylo from murdering billions. Heck if it wasn't for Rey, he would've stayed rotting on that island while Kylo ran roughshod over what was left of the Resistance.

If you lived in this galaxy, the Skywalker name would be synonymous with Hitler or Stalin.

Sadly yes. And...since the Force itself kick-started this whole thing with Anakin, what does that say about it's very nature or purpose?

But in the next trilogy shed be the Obi-Wan / old Luke to teach the actual Skywalker heir. (Ben sowed some wild oats).

Theres your Episode X entry point. Ben had a fling, and whilst pregnant his female friend saw what he became and ran.

With a Twi'lek. Haven't seen a single Twi'lek in these films damnit.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Episode 9 should be the end of the Skywalker story, since Rey is apparently not a Skywalker.

Maybe it all goes to letting the past die and all that which was, somewhat ironically, Kylo Ren's desire in this movie. But I do not want the Skywalker story to end. I'm sorry, but the Skywalker family IS Star Wars and without them, even the main series would be little more than side stories like Rogue One. It just wouldn't be the same.

Besides, honestly, I don't think Daisy Ridley can carry the series all by herself through another Trilogy. She needs a strong partner to work off of.

Much of what you say makes sense if one wants the episodes to remain about Skywalkers. In fact, this is why I wanted Rey to turn out to be a Skywalker, actually, so that we could get episodes 10, 11, and 12 about Skywalkers. But, she isn't, so can't have it that way. It was problematic to me (and is, to be honest) that the last Skywalker standing at the moment is Kylo, who is evil. I don't like the Skywalker legacy ending in evil.

But I disagree you can't have Star Wars movies without a Skywalker in it, as we had Rogue One,will be getting Han Solo, Obi wan, and a Rian Trilogy. However, at the same time I can appreciate fans like you who feel the opposite. Unfortunately, I just don't like the idea of Rey hooking up with Kylo. I could be OK if Kylo has offspring, or its revealed Luke had offspring at some point. I can even be OK with Kylo pining after Rey and Rey wanting to redeem Kylo (which I think he should remain irredeemable). But I don't want to see Kylo and Rey make babies.

Rey needs to make sure she doesn't hook up with anyone related to a Skywalker/Solo. Padme was nearly choked to death by her husband. Leia's home world and everyone she grew up with and loved was destroyed by her father. Then at the most critical point of her life she was abandoned by the father of her child and her brother.

I'm telling you Rey, these guys are a bunch of murderers and deadbeats. Stay single.

Are the Skywalkers widely known in the galaxy? Vader was infamous, but who knew he was Anakin Skywalker? Is Kylo Ren known to be Ben Solo to the public? The only Skywalker that is known to even the little kids of Cantonica is Luke, and he is regarded as a positive figure by them.

Regardless of who knows what about whom, the Skywalker males are now all officially douchenozzles. It will only take one inquiring mind to find the truth, one adept listening to the Force and all of the myth will crumble behind the reality... Just like revered public figures in our real life.

Conflict is essential, but what these films (and the EU before them) did and what that then means is why I and others have always been weary of having Skywalkers after Anakin turn dark. Again, conflict is essential and honest, but becoming what was shows no lessons were learned.

The Skywalkers are now akin to abusers breeding abusers. The story of hope, redemption and growth crumbles into a vicious cycle of tragedy.

Its not the Jedi Way that was broken, like Luke thought in this film. The writers have always broken the message of the OT when imagining their new stories because they focus on the Skywalker bloodline. I have a glimmer that RJ might have gotten a bit of that and that is part of why he made Rey into a Nobody, but then at the same he drove home the cycle of abuse within the family line so...

No. The message was I am a Jedi, like my father before me. The message was I will not fight you, I will stand my ground and live by my code, you must make the right choice.

There are no bad students, only bad teachers. Wait, sorry... thats a Miyagi-ism. ;-)

The PT/OT message of letting go of the past, not living in it, failing, then finding hope and striving for redemption and growth was preached by and embodied in Luke Skywalker.

TFA, TLJ display a Luke and Skywalker line that completely betray the message of the PT/OT. Luke disregards his own belief system. Luke betrays himself, the very lesson provided to his father thru Lukes prior actions and convictions. It shows a Skywalker line of tragedy and lies, a revered myth waiting to be exposed and the adoration of those heroes will then erode the hope of countless others just like the fallen revered do for so many in our real life. The myth, the fable, the lesson is broken.

There is a difference between providing conflict, temptation and what was done.

Ben is responsible for himself, certainly. Yet Luke killed himself with his actions. Luke did not gasp, fall to a moment of fear. He dove into it. His hand did not drop to a holstered weapon in an honest reaction, a moment of failing. He drew his weapon, he considered his action, he ignited his weapon. He then adandons his beliefs and abandons his family. These are all steps too far that break him as a character, breaking him as a character then breaks the mythos. He never needed to be perfect, but there is a difference between that and what the story presented.

The writers after the OT have cemented Star Wars as cyclical tragedy, but not just galactically (hence the franchises name) but cyclical within one bloodline and with it wiped away the message of redemption and growth.

I imagine that Luke had spent some time trying to talk to Ben before the incident in the bedroom. We are missing a lot of details and context for how that situation was reached. I suppose the sequels could have spent more time on that stuff but do we want to watch a movie about Jedi training? Could they have had a movie that recaptures The Phantom Menace, with Snoke in the place of Palpatine and Luke in the place of Qui-Gon, and Ben in Anakins place?

Absolutely, I love daydreaming and Im right here with you all imagining what now could be. That doesnt change what is, though. Star Wars is no longer what the PT/OT presented on film. Prior to this we could ignore EU going down these paths that broke the myth, we could fall back on but the movies show this... well now the movies show what they do. Anyone that remains a fan moving forward has to understand that the myth of the Skywalker is a time bomb waiting to go off in that universe.

Myths are what Star Wars is all about! And the Skywalker legacy is defined by Luke, I think, not Anakin or Ben. Mainly because they did not commit their atrocities under those names.

Plus, The Skywalker just has such a ring to it, and lends itself to such a powerful positive story, that even though 2 out of 3 of the family go dark doesnt mean the bad outweighs the good.

At the moment, I wonder if Shmi had any siblings. Perhaps there is another Skywalker family branch out there, not necessarily Force weilders that could show up as good guys.

With the emphasis on legacy and living up to the past, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up in a spot in Episode IX where Rey ends up being told that, through her actions, even though she isn't related by blood to Luke, she is a true Skywalker and the true heir of his legacy. Perhaps, she is even told that by Luke's Force Ghost.

It could even provide a nice impetus for the story. The Resistance starts referring to her as a Skywalker to simultaneously drum up support and piss off Ben.

It would also allow them to continue the episodes being about a Skywalker, just in a different way than expected.

Guest El Chalupacabra

He exemplified a Jedi Knight in RotJ. He was the prototypical Jedi Master in TLJ.

What pavonis said.

Luke make a LOT of bad decisions, but I don't know how you can say TLJ shows that the Skywalker males are all awful. It wasn't even Luke's teachings that turned Kylo dark. Kylo made that decision.

Well, to be fair, Skywalkers are 2-1 in favor of bad, right now (Vader redemption notwithstanding). But I agree Luke remained true to his principles for the most part (except pulling a saber on Kylo). Even then, he didn't go through with it.

But I also agree Rey shouldn't go anywhere near Kylo.

Whether light or dark the Skywalker legacy is of unparalleled force potential channeled to mastery. I don't see the Skywalker legacy as ring diminished one bit.

Also Kylo is a Solo, not a Skywalker.

Luke uses the phrase "mighty Skywalker blood" when talking about Ben.

Why would he not be considered a Skywalker when the entire reason Snoke wants him is he's the heir apparent to Lord Vader?

I was being a little facetious to all the people moaning about the Skywalker legacy being tainted by the ST and TLJ in particular portraying the Skywalker males as asshats.

If people are gonna be that pedantic, then I was gonna be pedantic in retaliation: If you take our current way of determining family lineage and genealogy being passed through the paternal line.. Then Kylo is a Solo.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.