Ranking the Star Wars Films Again!

Poe Dameron

I'll fully agree that sans nostalgia, ROTJ is rough. It's the only OT film I remember seeing in the theater. When Like first fires up his lightsaber the whole joint lost its mind. On the way out of the parking lot my cousin was a pre-internet spoiler dick and shouted out the window to the line for the next showing that YODA DIES!!!

But yes, it's rough. But on a basic filmmaking level, despite the stupid stuff, there's a script that has structure, denouement for characters weve been following, and some heart, which are things the PT could never muster.

I would have given it a level in badass if Luke had turned his father back but then they both died on the Death Star. Victory but at the cost of a big sacrifice. And the EU could have used his severed hand to bring him back to life! Bonus!

But then Vader's turn would have been in vain.

Well I kinda felt it was anyway from a practical pov. I mean, yay, he turned five seconds before he died. Kudos? But it's bigger than that (and I don't mean because he saved Luke). It's bigger than that because Ani turning back from the Dark was the thematic point of the first six movies.

Anakin turning back from Vader was never truly about him, its about Luke and the Force. Yoda and Obi in the OT, plus all Prequel opposers (excluding Padme) to Anakin/Vader are all about putting Vader and Palpatine down hard. Luke says wait up, maybe we can accomplish this without more blood on our hands. Luke saves himself (and thus provides hope for a galaxy) by turning Anakin, surpassing his masters and by directive of passing on what hes learned thru this process he will bring about the Return of the Jedi.

Of course, then the EU and sequels happen. In the EU Luke has learned almost nothing supposedly, because the writers looked at it like grades in school (how could he be a master if he studied for only so little time?) and so Luke is a Johnny 5 who needs more input and so Luke jumps into the Dark Side. Then in the sequels...

That . . . doesn't sound like EU Luke at all to me. Yes, he had to piece together the New Jedi Order from what little knowledge he had and was constantly learning new things, mostly because the audience was just as clueless as Luke was due to the prequels having not been written yet. But that was part of the EU's charm for me: it was limited due to a massive era being roped off by George Lucas (you know, the guy who supposedly didn't care at all what the EU did), but it all came together as new information became known. Retcons were made, sometimes seamlessly, sometimes in a clunky manner, but it all seemed to grow in an almost organic manner. Because of this, the EU is a work of art that developed in a completely unique manner with sever handicaps and overcame them all. The new canon, of course, has the luxury of everything already being laid out, but it can never have the same unique charm.

And Luke did not just fall to the dark side willy-nilly; he willingly turned in order to destroy it from within, but naturally found its lure hard to resist. It's not my favorite story, either, but Dark Empire was supposed to have been something different entirely at its conception. It was George Lucas (surprise) who made them change the story to bring the Emperor back from the dead and all that other crazy stuff, most likely in order to more accurately reflect what he originally had in mind for his ideas for Episodes VI through IX where the Emperor would not call until Episode IX, but was eventually all condensed into what is now Return of the Jedi.

I don't believe I will ever move the original 2 from top position but I put all three newbies above RotJ and the Prequels. I'm happy to watch them all though and prefer to watch in order of release.

1. The Empire Strikes Back

2. A New Hope

3. The Force Awakens

4. The Last Jedi

5. Rogue One

6. Return of the Jedi

7. Revenge of the Sith

8. Attack of the Clones

9. The Phantom Menace

I dont know if I can do a full ranking, but am I the only one who puts ANH at #1? Empire is a solid #2, but the original movie is the best. That's where it all started. It's flawless.

[edit - I see Poe, Dana, Fozzie and Robin had it at 1 also. Okay so I didnt do my research before I got all defensive. Still, we seem to be in the minority]

One thing about this movie is, for me, with a few small changes early in the movie it really could be right with Empire. I won't really get into what I'd change but I'll just say that I feel the 2nd half of the movie is maybe the best extended Star Wars we've had. From when Rey confronts Luke right through the end the movie is pretty phenomenal.

I dont know if I can do a full ranking, but am I the only one who puts ANH at #1? Empire is a solid #2, but the original movie is perfection for me. The way everything unfolds - with a bang at first and then a slow, but mysterious wander through the next hour of the movie as this crazy galaxy is unfolded and we get to know the characters in our story. The way everything builds in this movie is fantastic.

I love Empire too, its got so many classic moments and great pacing, but it cant stand on its own, really - it relies on all the heavy lifting ANH did. For me, that puts Ep IV in the #1 slot.

[edit - I see Poe, Dana, Fozzie and Robin had it at 1 also. Okay so I didnt do my research before I got all defensive. Still, we seem to be in the minority]

It's cool, I understand it. For years I had Empire Strikes Back as #1 myself. But as I've gotten older, it's suited my tastes a lot more as I've come to appreciate a less busy form of film making, simple, but powerful editing structure, and clarity of each of the characters. And, as Tank is fond of pointing out, its template has been reused a thousand times since for good reason.

That, and the it really can't be underestimated that it's the cornerstone of the whole universe. Just being the father of the rest of the series gets it bonus points.

• 4 months later...

1. A New Hope

2. The Empire Strikes Back

3. Revenge of the Sith

4. The Phantom Menace

5. The Last Jedi

6. Return of the Jedi

7. Rogue One

8. The Force Awakens

9. Attack of the Clones

10. Solo

I should probably note that even though Solo is at the bottom, it doesn't mean I hate it. I don't hate any of the films. But it's just nice, safe, unambitious base hit.

1-The Empire Strikes Back

2-Star Wars

3-The Last Jedi

4-The Force Awakens

5-Rogue One

6-Return of the Jedi

7-Revenge of the Sith

8-Solo

9-Attack of the Clones

10-The Phantom Menace

Like you, I enjoy all of the movies. Having TPM last doesn;t mean I dislike it.

1. SW

2. TESB

3. ROTJ

4. R1

5. TFA

7. SOLO

6. TLJ

8. TPM

9. AOTC

10. ROTS

There's not a lot separating the new ones though. I think they've alll got probems, but I've ranked them based on the positives. Solo gets puts above TLJ because Han and Chewie are just fantastic, and because I think TLJ's problems are more serious. ROTS is only last because I still haven't watched it from start to finish. I think I've seen most of it in clip form, but whenever I've tried watching it in one go I end up rethinking my life...

Why is everyone still neglecting to put The Clone Wars movie in their list? It is a feature film, is part of both canons, and if we're listing spin-off films we need to be consistent.

Anyway, since I literally just saw Solo and am on a high note right now, my ranking may be subject to change later on:

1. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
2. Episode IV: A New Hope
3. Solo: A Star Wars Story
3. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
4. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

5. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
6. Episode II: Attack of the Clones
7. Episode I: The Phantom Menace
8. The Clone Wars
9. Ewoks: Battle For Endor
10. Ewoks: Caravan of Courage

I did not list those films I deem apocryphal as I have only seen one of the two, and once only.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.