Ranking the Star Wars Films Again!

Poe Dameron

This is a misnomer Legends fans seem to cling to. His words were taken out of context. He said it took him buy surprise, and he struggled with it, but after talking with Rian and seeing all the moving pieces said it made sense.

THAT said-- there's no doubt in my mind people in your camp will fully DETEST Luke in this movie because he's not the happy go luck infallible hope and love wizard from the EU.

I think it's hilarious that this is your impression of Luke from Legends. It could not be farther from truth, especially when Luke is the same age as in The Last Jedi. The people I know who hated Luke in this movie ALSO hated his character development in Legends.

1. ROTJ

2. TFA

3. ANH

4. ESB

5. R1

6. ROTS

7. AOTC

8. TPM

I can't rank TLJ yet. I didn't like it as much overall as The Force Awakens. However, the scene with Luke on Crait is probably my favorite in the entire saga, and I like TLJ the more I think about it. So I'm unsure where it will eventually fall.

This is a misnomer Legends fans seem to cling to. His words were taken out of context. He said it took him buy surprise, and he struggled with it, but after talking with Rian and seeing all the moving pieces said it made sense.

THAT said-- there's no doubt in my mind people in your camp will fully DETEST Luke in this movie because he's not the happy go luck infallible hope and love wizard from the EU.

I think it's hilarious that this is your impression of Luke from Legends. It could not be farther from truth, especially when Luke is the same age as in The Last Jedi. The people I know who hated Luke in this movie ALSO hated his character development in Legends.

1. ROTJ

2. TFA

3. ANH

4. ESB

5. R1

6. ROTS

7. AOTC

8. TPM

I can't rank TLJ yet. I didn't like it as much overall as The Force Awakens. However, the scene with Luke on Crait is probably my favorite in the entire saga, and I like TLJ the more I think about it. So I'm unsure where it will eventually fall.

I agree with your take on the Luke/Kylo scene. When I first saw the movie I thought there would just be more after it. I thought Luke and Kylo would actually fight. I thought Kylo would lead troops into the base with the Resistance still there, Rey shows up and they have a rematch allowing the Resistance to leave. So when they don't fight and it turns out Luke wasn't "really" there it's almost like "WTF". But when you go back and watch again it, without those expectations of more to come, and just enjoy it then it really is a beautiful scene. From the visual of the 2 of them standing across, which is one of the great shots of the whole saga, to Luke's dialogue it really is great.

And really it plays into so much of what Yoda told Luke in ESB. "Adventure, heh, excitement, heh, A Jedi does not crave these things" and also "your weapons, you will not need them." Luke got one over on Kylo by using the Force, rather than a lightsaber.

The first time you see it, it really is hard to accept how they went about this but when you rewatch it and think about it, it really is the correct way.

Also loved while Luke is walking out to face him the awed looks on the faces of the remaining Resistance fighters. Luke really is a legend to them and that's how they all envisioned him to be. How he should look, how he should act, how powerful he should be. The actual man could never live up to that legend, no man could, not even Luke Skywalker.

The fight against Snoke's guards had all the twirly-fighty action out of the way for us, so it was totally cool to have an old school samurai showdown at the end.

I agree, just saying the first time I saw it I expected a more traditional saber fight. I have no problem with what they did, in fact it's great.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I love that "everything you just said is wrong" is now a Star Wars quote.

It will produce memes galore like Boromir's One Cannot Simply quote.

Empire

A New Hope

ROTJ

Way up here

TLJ and TFA (kind of interchangeable)

Down here

ROTS

TPM

Down here

AOTC

Rogue 1 doesn't get a vote cause it didn't really feel like Star Wars to me. Until Vader came out at the end in the tunnel. That was sick. But also its a side story and not part of the Saga.

My list changes from time to time, and has changed since the emotion of TFA settled. This is how I currently rank them:

1. TESB

2. ANH (though, it technically ties with TESB, I am placing this at #2)

3. ROTJ

4. Rogue One

5. TLJ (just barely edges out TFA. Overall they are pretty equal)

6. TFA (actually ties with ROTS, also has fallen in ranking for me. Last time I ranked it as well as ROTJ)

7. ROTS (far and away the best of the PT. Barely edged out by ST films, due to handling of Anakin, and too much General Grievous....but there are sometimes I do rank it higher than the ST!)

8. AOTC ( I always have trouble ranking these last 2. Sometimes I like AOTC better than TPM, and vice versa. Depends more on how I feel at the moment.

9. TPM

Totally agree with your list here.

I watched all the movies fairly recently, don't know if I've ever done that before. Plus I've seen TLJ again and it's sank in more. So here is my new better than ever list!!

1-The Empire Strikes Back

2-Star Wars

3-The Last Jedi

4-The Force Awakens

5-Rogue One

6-Return of the Jedi

7-Revenge of the Sith

8-Attack of the Clones

9-The Phantom Menace

Don't construe this as any kind of prequel bashing, I like all 9 movies!

And before Tank bashes you for putting ROTJ under the prequels, there's a TV trope concept called Original Sin. It means that when a movie franchise or TV show goes bad, really bad, you can often find the precursors to that Badness in previous episodes. It just got overshadowed by the greatness of the beginning of the franchise.

Looking back with the benefit of hindsight, and without the Rose Colored Glasses of nostalgia, so much of what we bitch about with the PT could find it's origins in ROTJ. I've come to the position that ROTJ really is little better than the PT, in other words, damned near unwatchable.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.