Disney buys Fox

Man, they really want to own all of Star Wars, eh?

Seriously, this seems like really good news for Star Wars (way closer to getting the original films re-released!) and Marvel (X-Men! Fantastic Four!) and a pretty raw deal in terms of one company pretty much owing all the content.

That pretty much sums up exactly how I feel. I'm glad Marvel is almost completely all back together again (though I don't have any actual interest in F4 or X-Men being integrated into the MCU [but Doom and the Surfer and Galactus and other tertiary space characters is good]), and hearing the Fox fanfare before Star Wars will be neat, but ugh. The world is gonna come down to Amazon, Disney, Wal Mart, and Google in a minute.

I would think they'd be more likely to drop Hulu. Why share the money when you can have it all?

Maybe. There are some choices to be made though. It's not like you just drop the 2nd biggest streaming service in the country and all of its customer base and infrastructure.

It depends on what they've already done in terms of infrastructure and what they anticipate the profits to be from their service versus sharing a third with Comcast.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Was it Fox they purchased, or just 20th Century Fox?

Everything but Fox Sports and Fox News.

Who'd want those anyway!

Man, they really want to own all of Star Wars, eh?

Seriously, this seems like really good news for Star Wars (way closer to getting the original films re-released!) and Marvel (X-Men! Fantastic Four!) and a pretty raw deal in terms of one company pretty much owing all the content.

That was exactly what came to mind for me, too: finally get an unmolested yet cleaned up 4K version of the OT, and a unified MCU! At least I hope so!

And I would be interested in a Fantastic Four movie done right for a change. Ditto on Xmen.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

With Comcast out of the picture, and US regulators giving the greenlight, we'll see what other countries say. I'm still assuming it's a done deal, but there's a lot of talk about what China will do, especially in the face of strained trade relations with the US.

The timing of this couldn’t be more perfect for Wolverine. As great as Hugh has been in the role, it’s time to start fresh and put somebody new in there and make him wear the costume. I’m partial to the brown, but I’ll settle for the yellow.

I look forward to seeing all of the X Mem decked out in all of their colors. When the first X movie came out they played it safe with the black leather (coming after the Matrix was a factor), but now that Marvel has proven that they can portray characters as they appeared in the comics, I look forward to seeing what they can do with the X Men, including the inevitable Avengers vs X Men movie.

And Wolverine vs Hulk anyone? To this day the crown jewel in my comic collection is Wolverine’s debut in Hulk 180/181 (I have both). I don’t even know if modern Marvel fans know about Logan’s humble beginnings as a throwaway bad guy for Hulk to smash way back in 1974.

Guest Robin

I think there is a chance that Hugh reprises his role with Deadpool, but other than that possibility I think hes done and Im interested to see what Dis/Marvel will do with the character.

In a related note, Dis will apparently launch a Dis-only streaming service. I think they could/should relaunch the Fantastic Four as a series on this new service. Here is me hoping for a 1960s Cold War F4 set in the MCU.

Afterthought: I share everyone elses concerns about Mickey Mouse growing up to be a cow, but in a hypocritical way I know that if I wrote something and Disney was interested Id be all yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes like Trons Bit.

I mean, you have to understand the confusion, even with context, of someone who's lived with some 4 years of DisArt reading this:

"In a related note, Dis will apparently launch a Dis-only streaming service."

Especially considering the festival has a category for filmmakers.

Not saying I don't think "Dis" should ever be used to talk about Disney, just saying my brain broke a little there.

I'm just being flip. But, yeah, I can see it. Although I'm only familiar with "dis" as a way of saying "this". Or diss, meaning an insult.

Guest Robin

I understand the general confusion, Icey. Admittedly a little less so in a specific thread about Disney rather than just over hearing a random conversation, but I do get ya. Also no offense was intended.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.