The I've Seen The Last Jedi Thread (spoilers OBV)

Dark Wader

So Force ghosts now can control the weather?

I think this goes in to the "cool thing that might never happen again" box along with freezing blaster bolts and using the hyperdrive of a cruiser to literally shatter an enemy fleet (even though you could argue that it's a proximity to the first Jedi temple thing).

Future movies will have their own unique things and I don't think it's worth worrying about any continuity issues.

Could have been worse; Yoda could have lifted Luke's X-Wing out of the sea and used that to burn down the tree instead.

The thing that I liked, and said that I wanted, was Poe being an awesome pilot. His attack on the ship was awesome, although his interaction with Hux was super cheesy and belonged in a sitcom from twenty years ago.

The more I think about it, the more I think that TLJ is the worst Star Wars movie. AotC had bad acting, but it felt like Star and understood that Star Wars needs epic storytelling

Guest madddox

i read somewhere that this movie was about failure. luke's failure. poe's failure. finn and rose's failure. the failure of the resistance.

ironic really, because the movie itself was the biggest failure. what a mess.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I think the reviews will still remain positive, overall. Most of the nerd stuff people like me are b*tching about usually won't be what the critics worry about. But I do think the slow middle at space Las Vegas and the even slower hyperspace chase with the big plot hole of the First Order not sending ships to head the Resistance off in a pincer movement does hurt the story enough where some braver, more independent critics will take it to task somewhat.

No matter what, TLJ will still make a buttload of money. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/

And that is what is important, right? RIGHT?! :eek:

Guest madddox

>First I was a character who saw only the darkness in Vader and tried to kill him, but eventually realized the potential of light in all things
>Then I forgot about that and went back to the first thing

luke's character just.... didnt make much sense in this movie. and to me it really needed to work in order for the movie to be successful.

It was his RotJ green saber.

Cool. I was pondering whether it was possible for Anakin's lightsaber to have found its way back to Luke between RotJ and TFA and then on to Maz. I suppose someone will write a novel on that journey, though.

The prop-nerd forum I go to has already started drawing blueprints from screencaps.

Ben's lightsaber was basically the same one he has as Kylo-- just minus the cross guard, wires, and black paint, and with a blue blade.

While I liked the finale with Luke doing what he did, building up to it I KNEW he had to show up to save the day. I was expecting him to swoop down in an X-Wing and take out a bunch of crap before facing Kylo.

I kinda wish I'd seen Luke the super pilot one more time.

Guest El Chalupacabra

The audience score at RT is currently 57% liked with 3.3 / 5 from 80'000+ ratings, compared to 88% liked for TFA with 4.3 / 5 from 220'000+ ratings.

So next weekend's box office will be interesting.

R1 was 87% liked with 4.2 / 5 from almost 100'000 ratings.

Anyway, this is Poe's job.

Totally. I'll leave that to him, too. But I don't think it will "bomb."

While I liked the finale with Luke doing what he did, building up to it I KNEW he had to show up to save the day. I was expecting him to swoop down in an X-Wing and take out a bunch of crap before facing Kylo.

That would have been cool, but what I wanted. Really wanted. Really, really wanted was to see Luke stand before a column of walkers Tiananmen Square style, and after failing to blast him, reach out with the force.....and CRUNCH. They are all destroyed. Reach up in the air, clap his hands and....Crunch, Star Destroyers crash into one another.

I know we kind of got that, but I wanted to see Luke destroy an entire walker battle group.

The audience score at RT is currently 57% liked with 3.3 / 5 from 80'000+ ratings, compared to 88% liked for TFA with 4.3 / 5 from 220'000+ ratings.

So next weekend's box office will be interesting.

R1 was 87% liked with 4.2 / 5 from almost 100'000 ratings.

Anyway, this is Poe's job.

Totally. I'll leave that to him, too. But I don't think it will "bomb."

That would have been cool, but what I wanted. Really wanted. Really, really wanted was to see Luke stand before a column of Walkers Tiananmen Square style, and after failing to blast him, reach out with the force.....and CRUNCH. They are all destroyed.

I thought that was coming 100% -- even though it was in the Dark Empire comic from the 90s.

I think this goes in to the "cool thing that might never happen again" box along with freezing blaster bolts and using the hyperdrive of a cruiser to literally shatter an enemy fleet (even though you could argue that it's a proximity to the first Jedi temple thing).

Future movies will have their own unique things and I don't think it's worth worrying about any continuity issues.

Could have been worse; Yoda could have lifted Luke's X-Wing out of the sea and used that to burn down the tree instead.

It just begs the question...if Yoda can appear somewhere and create lightning to burn a place down, what keeps him and Kenobi from showing up in the throne room and wrecking havoc on Palpatine?

It just begs the question...if Yoda can appear somewhere and create lightning to burn a place down, what keeps him and Kenobi from showing up in the throne room and wrecking havoc on Palpatine?

That was literally in the first draft of the ROTJ screenplay.

Guest El Chalupacabra

That was literally in the first draft of the ROTJ screenplay.

I didn't know that! But makes sense, because in Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Obi Wan Kenobi briefly possesses Luke and defeats Vader.

You know, ever since I saw TESB way back in 19 hundred and 80, I have ALWAYS assumed that Force Ghosts had rules they had to play by, as Obi Wan says to Luke that he "cannot interfere." Maybe Force Ghosts either A) have limited ability in the physical world, or b) the FORCE imposes limitations and rules they can play by (sort of like the ascended beings in Stargate).

I didn't know that! But makes sense, because in Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Obi Wan Kenobi briefly possesses Luke and defeats Vader.

Technically, what defeated Vader in that book was his randomly tripping and falling down a hole.

You know, ever since I saw TESB way back in 19 hundred and 80, I have ALWAYS assumed that Force Ghosts had rules they had to play by, as Obi Wan says to Luke that he "cannot interfere." Maybe Force Ghosts either A) have limited ability in the physical world, or b) the FORCE imposes limitations and rules they can play by (sort of like the ascended beings in Stargate).

I was more surprised about Yoda bopping Luke on the head with the gimer stick he apparently brought with him into the afterlife. Messing with the weather seems more in line with a ghost's powers.

Everything that is horrid about the Prequels is equally so if not worse in this film.

Everything that is great about the Star Wars concept is equally so if not better in this film.

Quibble: Carrie Fishers sudden death may have seriously derailed plans set in motion for this plot going forward. There is a pivotal moment given to the Vice Admiral which I want to be very critical off, but I am hesitant to given I am (we all are really) completely out of the loop for what those future plans for Leia were. My instinct however is that should have been Leias moment.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.