The I've Seen The Last Jedi Thread (spoilers OBV)

Dark Wader

I love that moment, because they're such dorks, but also because Rey just had someone repeatedly tell her "you're nothing," so it warms my heart when Poe says he knows who she is.

That's a really nice way to look at it.

I do think it's overly-generous if you're suggesting that was the intent.

I love that moment, because they're such dorks, but also because Rey just had someone repeatedly tell her "you're nothing," so it warms my heart when Poe says he knows who she is.

I think that's a misinterpretation of what Ben was saying. Rey was trying to find her place throughout the movie. The trailer was built around the idea. Ben told her that because she was always looking at where she came from and for father figures to define her. Ben came from the legendary Skywalker line and its brought him nothing but pain as the legends of the past, particularly Luke, failed him. Ben wants to start anew, "Let the past die. Kill it!" and all that. Rey being an outsider, he hoped she'd see that he was trying to accomplish by ending the Jedi/Sith conflict and join him. There is no defined place for her in the story.

Ben wasn't telling her that she was nothing. Just the opposite really. He was practically begging her to understand and stay with him because she means a lot to him.

I find it hard to believe anyone would have any kind of issue with Poe meeting Rey there, it takes 15 seconds and is inside of a scene where the theme is basically "hey we got our asses kicked at every turn but we are still here and still have hope." It's a happy little moment, plus Daisy Ridley has such a great face when she has those happy little moments like when Han offers her a job and when Poe introduces her. Im not saying I left the theater going "wow, that was the best scene in the saga!!" but I just don't see how anyone would dislike it or in some ways how anyone would have really much of an opinion of it either way.

Also, I don't see how the dialogue there is clunky. I mean it's fine, how else would someone introduce themselves?

Also, I don't see how the dialogue there is clunky. I mean it's fine, how else would someone introduce themselves?

I'm trying to think of another time that main characters who have already been introduced to the audience, introduce themselves to one another. It's weird.

I find it hard to believe anyone would have any kind of issue with Poe meeting Rey there

It wasn't a major thing. I just thought it odd given that it highlights an issue with the films when they should be hand waving it. Think of it more as someone looking at it with an editor's eye. I'll freely admit it's not something the normal fan would ever notice or care about.

but also only the Luke one defies my qualifications. When Han introduces himself, it's to the audience as well.

AND I'm pretty sure he doesn't say, "I'm Han Solo..." like a dork, he says "Han Solo...." like a coolguy.

It's the "I'm here with Ben Kenobi" that was the important part of that exchange. She does say "you're who?"

Okay, but again, that's Finn's introduction to the audience. Even more, that's him getting his name for the first time. And did we know Poe's name before that? I think that's also his intro to the audience (I might be wrong there). So it feels like a bit of fair character introduction, not the same as two characters introducing themselves five hours into the saga.

That was not Finn's introduction to the audience. We had seen him at the village already. If I recall correctly, he was even called by "name" by Captain Phasma. Unless getting named "Finn" is supposed to be his real introduction to the story?

When was Poe's name first used? I don't recall. I thought he was named in the opening crawl, but he wasn't.

I didn't have a strong or negative reaction to Rey & Poe meeting for the first time at the end or how it was written. Wasn't that keen on the tone of it, but that applies to the entire movie. I've got much bigger quibbles about the ending of TLJ (like a lack of a scene that Mara's already mentioned), but I don't think Rey & Poe being too distracted with other things at the end of TFA to properly introduce themselves to each other is that implausible. I just read it as two characters finally getting enough downtime to talk to each other, which was nice. Making everything to occur so quickly (so far) in the ST isn't something I agree with, but that scene was a neat way of underlining it.

I don't have many dialogue quibbles with the ST. Sometimes I think characters are named when they don't need to be because everyone (including the audience) knows who they are or saying "your / my father" or just "him" would have been more effective ("you'll never be as strong as HIM" instead of "as Darth Vader") and I cringed a bit during the rapid exchange bonding scenes between Rey & Finn after they escape from Jakku and Rose & Finn technobabblebrainstorming about hyperspace tracking, but I'm mostly OK with it. Still undecided about Rey's interior monologue in the cave of mirrors.

With all the other stuff to talk about, I don't think anyone has mentioned this. So I would just like to say, I'm pretty bummed that Poe's X-Wing got blown up.

Depending on how cynical or allegorical we want to be that scene is there; So Poe can get a new cooler ship to fly in the next film and sell more toys. Or it is a representation to us and to Poe (if the meathead takes a second to think about it) that his fly by the seat fighter pilot super hero days are over and that he has to take the next step in his leadership role, one not locked into a frontlines bubble.

Then again as Forrest, Forrest Gump ponders... both things could be happening at the same time.

Yeah I think that's all true. I just thought it was a cool ship and blowing it up early in the second movie sort of weakens the case for it becoming a truly iconic one.

I'll get over it.

And talking about Rey and Poe's introduction this much is REALLY out of step with how big a deal it was. But we are here to nitpick all the little details, right?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.