The I've Seen The Last Jedi Thread (spoilers OBV)

Dark Wader

I'm not sure if anyone is keeping score, but you can now add one more to the "I saw it a second time and went from disliking it a lot to liking it" team.

So many of the things I disliked the first time seemed minor to me now (Poe over-pranking Hux, Canto Bight, slow speed chase). And the good stuff seemed even better. I'm converted.

Guest El Chalupacabra

My opinion of this sh*t show

First viewing: was very meh, with some parts annoying me

Second viewing: Liked it much better

Third viewing +: Hated it, and hate it more with each viewing

Coming to Nightly to discuss the movie and anticipating episode 9 has gotten me to tolerate tlj a whole lot more but that doesn't exactly mean that I liked it. I've just come to accept it as an episode and the progression of our heroes' story. I like going on YouTube and rewatching the throne room scene and the ending scene with kylo and Luke. That's about all I could stomach from that movie. There are moments when I actually begin to enjoy tlj but then I think of the other movies and the other movie Stand Out as a million times better in my view and I begin to realize I'm just tolerating tlj I'm not exactly a huge fan of it.

Well that sounds like what most of us went through with the prequels. We could cherry pick the parts that we liked and then complain about the parts that we didn’t here at nightly. Somehow, amongst all of the negativity, I was able to appreciate the prequels for what they were, which is pure comedy.

As for TLJ, it’s not total garbage. There are some good parts. Sad, though, when you have to fast forward through the bulk of it to watch the 5% of the movie that doesn’t suck.

I listened to a lecture at Industry Workshops the other weekend by a writer/concept artist/psychology major who dissected why the current incarnations of old franchises are sucking so hard these days. And it comes down to what Tank Driver has been banging on about for ages. Mythic storytelling in the Jungian and Freudian psychological tradition using mythic character archetypes. I cant be bothered going into it, cause it was a 2 hour talk and I could never do all the information justice in my paraphrasing. But essentially this guy scientifically (proved) explained why the new Jurassic Park and TLJ blow. Cause they don't have any covert subtext, metaphor or symbolism that appeals to our subconscious (which is the very thing that made the original incarnations of said franchises a hit in the first place). What we currently have are overt displays with all the surface trappings of mythic storytelling but without any of the depth masters like Spielberg (and Lucas with the OT) were able to create.

Is that what most of us went through with the prequels? I thought it was about 50/50 here - with about half of the members being PT defenders and the other half being intelligent.

To be completely fair, the majority of us were in our teens and early 20's at the time. And generally drunk off our asses.

I listened to a lecture at Industry Workshops the other weekend by a writer/concept artist/psychology major who dissected why the current incarnations of old franchises are sucking so hard these days. And it comes down to what Tank Driver has been banging on about for ages. Mythic storytelling in the Jungian and Freudian psychological tradition using mythic character archetypes. I cant be bothered going into it, cause it was a 2 hour talk and I could never do all the information justice in my paraphrasing. But essentially this guy scientifically (proved) explained why the new Jurassic Park and TLJ blow. Cause they don't have any covert subtext, metaphor or symbolism that appeals to our subconscious (which is the very thing that made the original incarnations of said franchises a hit in the first place). What we currently have are overt displays with all the surface trappings of mythic storytelling but without any of the depth masters like Spielberg (and Lucas with the OT) were able to create.

I don't suppose there was a recording made of this lecture, or if they've written anything on the subject? I'd love to hear it/read about it, this is right up my alley.

Maybe there will be a video posted, but I don't think it'll be up yet. I'll keep my eyes peeled

It was funny cause while he was explaining stuff people were amazed, because upon hearing the explanation it all seemed so obvious. The whole time I was thinking, Ahhh Tank would love this.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.