The I've Seen The Last Jedi Thread (spoilers OBV)

Dark Wader

See if you do what Tank says then I think you are just hedging your bet with Luke. What Tank said is what everyone would expect to happen. Luke won't train her, he decided to train her but doesn't embrace it, Rey wins him over and old Luke is back, they go to save the day. Everyone was just waiting for Luke to return to his old self, but if your story is that Luke is really messed up then have him be really messed up. That what happened with his nephew just totally destroyed him, then have it destroy him. Don't have 2 sequences where he is destroyed and then plucky Rey wins him over and Luke is fine. Have Luke totally be f'd up. He doesn't get happy again, he is never the same again. He doesn't get to go on another adventure in the Falcon.

Even at the end when he sends the projection and is "the old Luke", he's not really the old Luke. That Luke is gone and never coming back. That projection is what Luke wishes he could be but just can't be anymore. He knows he is going to die as a result, Leia knows it's not him and probably senses that he is going to die as well.

Basically if you want to make Luke's story a tragedy, make it a real tragedy. Don't just play at it for a little bit and then have Luke come back and be fine. Make him tragic, make him sad. Make his mistake with Ben destroy him forever, not just as a story device so Rey can bring the old Luke back.

If you are going to make him ****ed up, then make him ****ed up for real.

I don't know if I would say it's what I would have done, it's more what was done vs what people wanted based on familair Star Wars and mythic mentor arcs.

I personally would have shot for something unexpected, but also not so polarizing

Honestly I woulda torn the whole thing up more. I woulda loved a scene where Rey is saying how she wants to help Ben come back to the good side, brings up how Luke was able to with his father. Then have Luke be like "yeah, I 'redeemed' him. then in the years after I travelled the galaxy and met people who didn't really care that in his final moment he saved his own son. That one thing he did didn't bring back their loved ones who were killed or rebuild their homes for them that were destroyed. After hearing these stories I realized something, my father didn't deserve redemption."

...After hearing these stories I realized something, my father didn't deserve redemption."

That sounds unlike Luke, far more unlike him that what we saw in TLJ. If redemption only comes when 100% of people impacted by past actions agree to forgive, then no one would ever be redeemed.

Well to start maybe I'd change the wording a bit. Make it a question. Have Luke enumerate some terrible things his father did and then ask Rey "do you think a man like that deserves redemption?" Something like that. Just something that challenges Reys, and our, view of Star Wars. Ya know see it from another point of view.

As for Luke, it's been 30 years since ROTJ. I'd hope in all that time that Luke grappled with the life and legacy of his father. That over time his views on his father have evolved or changed. I mean I can't imagine that now 30 years later he is basically thinking "it doesn't matter all the evil, terrible things my father did because in the end he saved MY life." That seems a pretty narrow and self centric view of things.

Struggling with his view of his father may not be what we knew of 22 year old Luke but, for me, if we are going to look at what Luke may be like 30 years later I'd think that he would have some reservations about being lauded for what he did on DSII.

Guest Robin

I have no doubt that whatever crown you choose to wear includes pajamas.

I herby apologiz for4 the typo

See what I did was born from self-depreciating humor, what you did feels... well... my pajamas are fuzzy, btw, since theyre on your mind.

As for Lukes OT actions and fame born from them, I always thought it was unlikely that anyone outside of the inner circle would know anything about Luke, Anakin-Vader and any redemption Force whatevers. It seems more likely Luke would just be lauded as a Jedi who helped the Rebellion overthrow the Empire.

I mean I can't imagine that now 30 years later he is basically thinking "it doesn't matter all the evil, terrible things my father did because in the end he saved MY life." That seems a pretty narrow and self centric view of things.

I don't think saving Luke was the main point of what Anakin did when he killed the Emperor. I think it was more about putting an end to the evil in the galaxy.

I’m probably one of the few out there that thought the characterisation of Luke was pretty much on point the whole film. The Luke I imagined post-RoTJ growing up, largely influenced by the EU admittedly, was very different to what we got in the film. But my idea of what he would be was influenced prior to Lucas changing my perception on what the Jedi would be like in the prequels.

Did it need to be the depressed Luke we got? No. But I think that’s the corner that JJ forced Rian into. He needed to explain why Luke was absent during the rise of the First Order and destruction of the Republic. The Luke we knew wouldn’t have stood by, he would have been actively involved. But we’re told in TFA he is MIA and the last thing we see of him is standing on a rock on a distant planet, seemingly safe and out of the picture.
The Luke we see in TLJ was the most realistic version of Luke I’d imagine now, considering the context of what has been established in both Force Awakens and the prequels. He has learnt more about the Jedi and how his father fell to the Dark side and I imagine he was disappointed by the truth of events. He thinks he can start anew and right the wrongs but with Kylo, realises he is just as susceptible to the same mistakes as the Jedi were.
Of the original three, Leia is the one who I think could have been written better in the sequels. Can’t put finger on what it is but something feels off. Though I honestly believe they really did have big plans for her in the next one.

My initial reaction was "I guess I liked it, because it's Star Wars and I love Star Wars."

The longer it goes, the more I realize that i actually hated it. I'm way more interested in Avengers 4 than I am for any Star Wars. I still love the OT, but I have zero interest in Solo, and little more interest in Episode 9.

• 5 weeks later...

Some things I have noticed going back and have made it grow on me:

I loved when Finn took out the blanket to cover Rose in the Falcon the Jedi Texts were in that drawer.

I liked that Luke came to the rescue as young Luke with dark hair and a beard. I mean if you are going to astral project you should make yourself out to be all awesome and stuff.

I like those weird little creatures that lived in the huts around Luke. Like nuns.

I really dont get why people have issues with that kind of stuff. Is there some silly stuff in The Last Jedi, ofcourse. But no sillier than Jawas or when the monster in the trash compactor sticks his eye up like a periscope. Certainly nothing as silly as three foot tall pig men playing keep away with Threepios head.

Guest El Chalupacabra

The alien sea-cow does not wink at Rey. Only looks over at her. I did not see a wink.

It does blink, but I don't think it was an intentional wink.

You have to remember the intent.

The intent to wink is VERY IMPORTANT!!!

That is how we determine the canonicity of winking VS blinking.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.