The I've Seen The Last Jedi Thread (spoilers OBV)

Dark Wader

Well, the tradition was that the third movie was the lame duck (OT, Matrix, etc.) so maybe tanking the second movie will prove to be a brilliant strategy.

I doubt it. Nobody goes into making a movie thinking.. "Let's make this one not so strong so the next one will be amazing. It's a great strategy".

Thought it was clear I was being facetious. :p

Oh... Yes right....um carry on

Okay, I always get things wrong around here, but I'm pretty sure I've got this one right: in TLJ, they are no longer The Resistance. Once Hosnian Prime is blown up, the government The Resistance supports is no more and The First Order is now the legitimate governing body in the galaxy. As soon as that happens, our heroes become Rebels.

Pretty sure they even say so in the movie.

I thought the name change was rather silly. We are the Resistance because we are resisting the FO's growing threat and the New Republic won't do anything about it. What? The New Republic capitol was blown up? Well then I guess now we are the Rebellion.

They should've just stuck with Resistance. In fact, I would've just made TFA be between the New Republic and the First Order instead of all this mess between who is who and what they stand for. It would've eliminated all those questions of who is The Resistance and what are they resisting? What was that planet that the FO blew up?

Then in TLJ once the New Republic is gone, now they are the Resistance because they are the last group standing in the way of the FO's complete domination of the galaxy.

Aside from the PT showing that Anakin built Threepio, I wouldn't count them as being a coincidence.

Living with? I don't think she lived with Unkar Plutt, or whatever his name is. She interacted with him, selling junk to him, but so did pretty much everyone on Jakku.

Her visions implied she was left with him as a kid. That's what I was referring to.

Her being a nobody makes those early scenes in TFA much sadder. Most people, myself included, thought for sure Rey would be related to some existing character going into the movie. So when watching the movie and seeing her all alone we think "oh it will be alright. there is a good reason you are there. you will see your family again!". Knowing now that her family truly did abandon her makes the scenes much sadder and I think because of that much better.

Aside from the PT showing that Anakin built Threepio, I wouldn't count them as being a coincidence.

Seriously?

Anakin built Threepio.

Threepio returns to Lars farm unknowingly.

R2 is the navigator for a father and son that never knew each other.

R2 is sent to find Obi-Wan (who doesn't recall him) but randomly ends up with Luke, brother of the Princess he's carrying a message from.

Or we could mention--

Chewie knew Yoda.

Obi-Wan and Jango fight, through totally unrelated events, their mentees fight twenty something years later.

How about Ponda Baba and Dr. Ezivan bumping into people stealing the Death Star plans then days later bump into the people the plans have been handed off to... in an ENTIRE GALAXY this happens?

ANH is one crazy coincidence after another. Kid on a farm randomly buys two droids, both of whom knew his father and weren't looking for him. One droid has a message from the kid's secret twin sister meant for a local old weirdo who happens to have mentored the kid's father. They hire a ship, co-piloted by a guy who fought a war with the mentor's mentor. They get captured and end up in the same place as secret sister, AND their secret father, who once owned both the droids in the party, and was once BFFs with the old mentor.

If people want to hate on the ST that's fine, but it bugs me when people take shots at it for stuff the entire saga does.

Seriously?

Anakin built Threepio.

Threepio returns to Lars farm unknowingly.

R2 is the navigator for a father and son that never knew each other.

R2 is sent to find Obi-Wan (who doesn't recall him) but randomly ends up with Luke, brother of the Princess he's carrying a message from.

Or we could mention--

Chewie knew Yoda.

Obi-Wan and Jango fight, through totally unrelated events, their mentees fight twenty something years later.

How about Ponda Baba and Dr. Ezivan bumping into people stealing the Death Star plans then days later bump into the people the plans have been handed off to... in an ENTIRE GALAXY this happens?

ANH is one crazy coincidence after another. Kid on a farm randomly buys two droids, both of whom knew his father and weren't looking for him. One droid has a message from the kid's secret twin sister meant for a local old weirdo who happens to have mentored the kid's father. They hire a ship, co-piloted by a guy who fought a war with the mentor's mentor. They get captured and end up in the same place as secret sister, AND their secret father, who once owned both the droids in the party, and was once BFFs with the old mentor.

If people want to hate on the ST that's fine, but it bugs me when people take shots at it for stuff the entire saga does.

R2 is the navigator precisely because Luke and Anakin are related. For the most part, everywhere the droids end up is because of who they belong to. They're not just running around on their own stumbling into all these events. The only time I will agree is a major coincidence is when they end up with the Lars in ANH. But even then you figure R2 was sent by Leia to find Obi Wan, she probably knew the general area he was in and the reason he's in that area is because he needs to be close to Luke. And Tattooine is sparsely populated.

My focus was on your comment regarding the droids. If you had mentioned everything else but the droids I would say yes, that's SW in a nutshell, especially as more movies are made-the only reason Ponda Baba and Dr. Ezivan are in R1 is fan service. That being said, when the PT did it, Lucas was a hack. When the ST does it, it's just SW.

Here is my thought process:

1-Would I rather the Falcon not be in the movie? The answer is no.

2-Would I want the movie to spend any time whatsoever trying to make it's appearance in the movie seem smoother and less coincidental? The answer is also no.

Devil's Advocate here: Part of me would have rather seen RJ blow up the Falcon in TLJ instead of Poe's cool X-Wing.

Look, I love the Millenium Falcon, but the message is almost becoming that there can be no space heroics without that one single ship. This series is supposed to be about passing the torch from the old gang to the new, but it seems we just can't let go of the Millenium Freakin' Falcon.

Devil's Advocate here: Part of me would have rather seen RJ blow up the Falcon in TLJ instead of Poe's cool X-Wing.

Look, I love the Millenium Falcon, but the message is almost becoming that there can be no space heroics without that one single ship. This series is supposed to be about passing the torch from the old gang to the new, but it seems we just can't let go of the Millenium Freakin' Falcon.

I'm with you. It's be cool to see the falcon go down in a blaze of glory. So long as Chewie is not at the helm.

They could make a new iconic ship.

I always felt like the PT was missing its Falcon. It needed a home ship.

The X-Wing was blown up as part of Poe's story. "There are problems you can't solve by jumping in your X-Wing and blowing something up." Then that option isn't even available to him. He has to figure out a way to help without the one thing that made him special, his ability to fly.

Blowing the Falcon up doesn't accomplish that. It would be far more impactful to the audience than it would be to any of the new characters who had only spent a small amount of time onboard the Falcon.

I always felt like the PT was missing its Falcon. It needed a home ship.

Exactly, at least this trilogy has it's own droid.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.