The I've Seen The Last Jedi Thread (spoilers OBV)

Dark Wader

It showed me how well that film was made compared to the big releases of the day (The Dark Knight Rises was the big event movie that year) and how poorly modern films held up to rewatchability.

See I find that whole argument rubbish. There are plenty of films that have come out in the last 10 years that are as rewatchable as the classics that came out 20 or 30 years ago. Dark Knight Rises? No. Dark Knight? Holy hell yes. Fury Road only came out a few years ago and I think I've watched that 8 or 9 times and enjoyed it as much as I did the first time.

We remember the classics for a reason, but when Raiders came out there was just as much garbage released in the cinema as there is now. We just don't remember them, the same way films like Batman vs Superman probably won't be remembered in 20 years.

Naturally there were just as many forgettable films back in 1981 as there are today. But in looking back at the "event/highest grossing/blockbuster" films of the past 10 years or so, I can't think of one that I will be able to watch in a theater 30 years from its release date and have it feel like it's the first time I'm watching it.

A lot of that probably just has to do with Hollywood's obsession with comic book films, a medium which by its very nature has to constantly update itself to fit the times.

One thing I never picked up on, and maybe everyone else did and I;m a moron is this: When Kylo and Rey have their first connection Kylo says how he can't see her surroundings and that it couldn't be her doing this because the effort would kill her. Now at the time I took it kinda like this: Kylo saying it can;t be Rey makes us wonder who it is and also that Kylo doesn't think Rey is that powerful. Then later it plays out where Snoke admits to doing it, ending the mystery and making Snoke seem powerful enough to do it.

Now though I realize it all sets up Luke at the end. When he first sees Rey Kylo believes that she doing what Luke does later in the movie, sending a projection of herself. He quickly realizes that it can't be her because it would kill her. But it wouldn't just kill her, it would kill any Force user who attempts it. This changes the perception of Luke at the end of the movie. First off it makes his death not be some elective thing whereby after his saves the day he chooses to die because he has filled his purpose. He dies because it takes such an effort to do that "trick" that it killed him. Secondly it makes the whole thing a huge sacrifice. If Kylo knows that the astral projection thing takes so much effort that it leads to death it stands to reason that Luke would know the same thing. So when he decided to do that, he knows he will die afterward.

BB8 does, ofcourse we cant understand it but at the very start of the movie BB8 lets off a bunch of beeps to which Poe replies "cmon happy beeps" and Leia says she agrees with the droid. What BB8s beeps meant was "I have a bad feeling about this"

Guest El Chalupacabra

I just realized, does anyone say 'i have a bad feeling about this' in TLJ?

No, just some people are saying that about Episode 9, after seeing TLJ.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'm actually excited about JJ coming back. I used to think he didn't get it. But TFA 'got it' more than TLJ.

I agree, just was being flip. I wouldn't say excited for myself, though. More like I'm glad that there is a chance to change the direction they are headed back to something closer to what it seems JJ was intending with TFA.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Good thing I am only mildly interested in how Episode 9 ends, then.

I think it will be ironic that if Solo is actually good, and we get a good Obi Wan film, that it actually pans out in ten years that the spin off movies are seen as the good star wars movies, and the ST episode movies are seen in about the same light as the PT.

Well, the tradition was that the third movie was the lame duck (OT, Matrix, etc.) so maybe tanking the second movie will prove to be a brilliant strategy.

I doubt it. Nobody goes into making a movie thinking.. "Let's make this one not so strong so the next one will be amazing. It's a great strategy".

That said I am hoping the third film is so brilliant that it contextualises the previous two films and solidifies the trilogy as a whole into an amazing piece of cinema that is heralded as nothing short of genius.....

What could go wrong?

Problem with JJ is that he hasn't proved he has any ability to close a story. I think he was the perfect choice to kick start the new movies but I'd be really surprised if Ep 9 wrapped things up nicely - I fully expect nothing to be resolved and he'll just leave everything open ended for someone else to have resolve in the next lot of films, same way RJ had to clean up the threads in Last Jedi. JJ may have had an "idea" for the next 2 films but he clearly didn't articulate to anyone.

From what I remember before Carrie passed, RJ was writing the treatment for Ep 9, and that was what Collin whateverhisname was going to pick up in the 9th film. But it's pretty clear from TLJ that Leia was going to feature pretty heavily in the 9th film, so they've had to rethink what exactly they were going to do with the next film when she passed. Personally, which doesn't seem to be the general consensus around here, I think it's a shame RJ isn't continuing the story as I think he has a much better grasp on what Star Wars is about than JJ has. He retained the magic of Star Wars as well as move it in a different direction.

Well, the tradition was that the third movie was the lame duck (OT, Matrix, etc.) so maybe tanking the second movie will prove to be a brilliant strategy.

I doubt it. Nobody goes into making a movie thinking.. "Let's make this one not so strong so the next one will be amazing. It's a great strategy".

Thought it was clear I was being facetious. :p

Can I address this "why didn't the FO just hyperspace travel in front of the Rebels" thing?

Answer: Hyperspace doesn't work that way!

As I said before, there is one reference from the dialogue:

Travelling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy!

Sure, he's talking about the dangers inherent in a long jump, but the point remains, it's not just a push-a-button-and-zip-to-wherever-you-want-to-go thing.

Look at how the Rebel ships arrived in that scene above Scarif: they weren't all in perfect formation, some are behind, some are dangerously far ahead. Why didn't the Blue Squadron X-Wings trying to get to Scarif before the gate closes just hyperspace jump? Could it be that making a light speed calculation to go four kilometres is not that precise and potentially fatal? And yet nobody criticizes Rogue One for this.

The only time a precision hyperspace jump is made, to my knowledge, is when Han does it in TFA. Everyone says it's crazy, it's suicide. Is this not enough canonical evidence that it's not a thing?

I'll be first to admit TLJ has many flaws and the slow speed chase may not be the most exciting, but can we put the "why don't they just jump ahead of them?" thing to bed? It was a clever suggestion, but if an argument, any argument, based on the canon can be made to negate it, I think that puts RJ in the clear.

Thats what made me the most mad. If you wanrt to invent this handy plot device, fine but commit to it. Dont say :we cant do this thing then repeatedly do it in the same story.

Hyperspace has never revolved arouind fixed points. If this were B5 or Stargate it would make some sense but Star Wars has always depicted hyperspace like warp speed pick a destination and go.

Maybe MAYBE you could argue that you jump to lightspeed from anywhere, but you need to come out near a fixed point, like a planet, or a ship with a navigational beacon but just within TLJ alone you have Rose and Finn leaving and choosing to come in next to the First Order cruiser, and later Rey and Chewie do the exact same thing. If they can precision hit the dreadnaught, why cant the First Order have a ship in another system jump intpo the path of the Resistance ships?

It's not something that bothers me much, but (as has already been said) a fix in the form of some "we could summon some of our ships from somewhere else to jump in front of them, but we don't have to because they can't escape" lines would have been easy to do.

I prefer hyperspace in SW as an imprecise / somewhat mystified thing though (The Falcon and DJ's ship jumped in to the area, but it wasn't that precise). I don't like Han's stunt in TFA. I would have chosen a different obstacle with a less ridiculous solution.

In reality would jumping in front have helped? I mean the Resistance could change course. If a ship appeared in front of themThe, in their course, couldn't they just go "down" or "up" or something along those lines. The First Order would have to surround them, right?

If you want to get really nerdy about it, then a course change would be difficult because the Resistance (and the FO) had been accelerating for however many hours it was. All of that momentum would make things complicated </edit>.

Any ship that appeared in front of them wouldn't have much time to do anything before the Resistance and the FO flew past them (or in to them).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.