The I've Seen The Last Jedi Thread (spoilers OBV)

Dark Wader

I found this funny and decided to put it in this thread because of the earlier talk about the novel and the place of books in the story. Its about the decision to get rid of the old EU. One of the story guys was saying that the thing that made the decision obvious was the death of Chewy since they wanted Chewy to be in the sequels. This line is just hilarious though:

"There is no way I'd want to do an Episode VII that didn't have Chewbacca in it and have to explain that a moon fell on his head"

That's just classic, did he really have a moon fall on his head?

I just got back from seeing it a second time (finally). I liked it a lot more this time. It still felt too long, but I had a lot of fun with it.

That's just classic, did he really have a moon fall on his head?

That's how people always describe it, but it was more that Chewie saved the youngest Solo child, Anakin, by getting him safely on board the Falcon as it escaped from a planet whose moon was being pulled into it by Yuuzhan Vong weaponry. It was a heroic moment for Chewie and led to a lot of new character dynamics among the Solos. It was incredibly controversial at the time, which led to people describing it as was done here.

I saw it again kinda spur of moment, was at mall and was leaving just as a showing was starting. I had nothing to do so I went and saw it again.

I kinda think the last hour or so is just phenomenal. Basically from Rey and Kylo's last connection through the force to the end. At that point I believe Finn is heading back from Canto Bight and the space chase is kinda coming to a head with the mutiny and all that.

I'll admit that how the Finn and Poe stories get to those points could use some fine tuning. Maybe have Finn and Rose go straight onto Snokes ship and spend more time on it rather than go to Canto Bight. Maybe add a bit of variety to the First Orders pursuit of the Resistance. Im completely open to criticisms along those lines.

However I think from that moment on where Rey and Kylo connect and Luke bursts in through the end of the movie which I'm guessing is probably an hour or so is maybe the best extended sequence in any Star Wars movie.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest El Chalupacabra

Have we mentioned this one yet?

"What's your name?"

"FN-2187."

"FN...what?"

"It's the only name they ever game me."

"Well I ain't using it. FN, huh? Finn, I'm gonna call you Finn. Is that all right?"

"Finn...yeah, I like that!"

"I'm Poe, Poe Dameron."

"Good to meet you, Poe!"

"Good to meet you too, Finn!"

I didn't think there was anything wrong with that. A little dorky, but it's as much introducing the characters to the audience, as the characters introducing themselves.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with that. A little dorky, but it's as much introducing the characters to the audience, as the characters introducing themselves.

Well, it was in the middle of an action sequence. But, y'know, Finn just ruins every scene he's in. It's what he does.

And here's the answer to the great bomb debate...

Ya know whats funny is that I saw a tweet from Pablo Hidalgo not long ago that explained it differently. He said that all of the ships have artificial gravity in them. So while inside the bomber those bombs would respond to the artificial gravity and begin falling inside the ship and once they were moving in that direction they would continue to move in that direction.

In reality all these reasons are dumb and the real reason is that the laws of physics don't apply in Star Wars. The filmmaker writes it paying zero attention to these rules and then later some guy comes up with a reason that explains it.

What makes that even worse is that Hidalgo wrote Incredible Cross-Sections as well. There's a ****ing writers' group and they can't get this caught and corrected earlier in the production?

That the bombs don't behave at all like they're magnetized is the most frustrating part. Fix it before the dvd release!

I kinda think the last hour or so is just phenomenal.

How can you KINDA think something is phenomenal? The fact that you're undecided means that it was NOT phenomenal. Do you think that when Ramses asked a random slave if the pyramids were worthy of the gods the slave said "I KINDA think it was a justifiable use of time and resources to build elaborate tombs for pharoahs who haven't come terms with their own mortality?". Go back in the Delorrean and gun it to 1985 mph because I don't see you finding the Fountain of Logic ANYtIME soon.

First the George Lucas raped my childhood, then the new films grab me by the *****???

NOoOOooOoOooOoO!!!!

I'm not a physics guy at all, what is dumb about the artificial gravity explanation? It makes sense to me (again, not a physics guy).

Separate explanations from the same person is my greatest annoyance, but the artificial gravity is the better answer due to its depiction in the film with both Paige and the remote falling down the bay. Decent idea, poor execution.

Personally, I've never considered AG on a starfighter due to being obviously useless in a confined space, nevermind being an extraordinary power drain.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a physics guy at all, what is dumb about the artificial gravity explanation? It makes sense to me (again, not a physics guy).

Separate explanations from the same person is my greatest annoyance, but the artificial gravity is the better answer due to its depiction in the film with both Paige and the remote falling down the bay. Decent idea, poor execution.

Personally, I've never considered AG on a starfighter due to being obviously useless in a confined space, nevermind being an extraordinary power drain.

They can create enough power to move a space station the size of a moon at the speed of light between star systems. I dont think the power drain is an issue. LOL.

That first sentence is the best, they literally in the first movie have a moon sized space station that can be moved faster than the speed of light for incredible distances between solar systems. That's totally cool. But there is no way they could figure out a way to make bombs fall in space.

• 4 weeks later...

Rewatched it at home-- feel about the same. I am fine with the Luke stuff-- I actually like it. The great space OJ chase is still bull****, and Canto Bight is a a time-killer plot line to fill out time so we can cut away from the Rey/Luke stuff.

Moving into the future this is going to be a lot like ROTJ-- I'll rewatched it, but there will be a lot of skipping over anything not Luke related.

I will say though, visually-- in terms of production design and cinematography, this one is probably my favorite Star Wars movie in terms of visuals.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.