The I've Seen The Last Jedi Thread (spoilers OBV)

Dark Wader

Tank since you're the lightsaber historian, what is the deal with Luke/Anakin's lightsaber. The thing looks huge, but it hasn't always. It looks big in ANH and the new movies. It didn't in ESB or the prequels. I thought maybe it's because of Hayden, but it looks "proportionate" when Ewan picks it up at the end of ROTS. I know there were different props, but were they different sizes?

Tank since you're the lightsaber historian, what is the deal with Luke/Anakin's lightsaber. The thing looks huge, but it hasn't always. It looks big in ANH and the new movies. It didn't in ESB or the prequels. I thought maybe it's because of Hayden, but it looks "proportionate" when Ewan picks it up at the end of ROTS. I know there were different props, but were they different sizes?

Im about done with the latest edition of the Bible, Ill put it up when its ready.

The short version is, the props are made from the same parts in ANH, ESB, and TFA. Not literally the same, but the same material. TFA and TLJ just gave it a lot of dedicated close-up shots, something the OT never did outside of the time Luke drops it on Bespin. TLJ especially gives it a giant screen-filling close up. But the dimensions are the same in all 3 movies.

ROTS though did not use the same real-world parts. They made all their sabers from scratch chromed rubber casts of scratch-made originals around the dueling rods.

With ROTS, the details and quality were only approximated and it was a cheap knock off scaled down for the sake of the flashy combat requirements... KIND OF LIKE THE PT IN GENERAL.

But yeah, the prop is smaller in ROTS for all the twirly duel stuff.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Weren't the original ANH light saber hilts made from light flash devices on old photograph cameras or something like that?

Guest El Chalupacabra

Timothy Rose is still alive! It was the voice actor Eric Bauersfeld that died.

That's what I meant, obviously. With this kind of character, it doesn't matter who's in the suit. The voice IS the character.

Not that it matters all that much, but not really. It's not like they couldn't have found a sound-alike voice actor. They did it for TCW after all. Especially considering Ackbar didn't say anything in TLJ, and I don't remember him saying much in TFA.

I wonder if they would have recast him had it not been for what happened with Carrie Fisher. It becomes about respect for a long time vet. If I was the filmmaker I wouldn't do a VO recast if the actor dies anyway. But that's just me. Given that, I respect their decision.

Also, and maybe it's just because I've been producing audioplays since 2010, but I can always tell when a voiceover role has been recast. Don't know if the average fan can though.

Does it matter if a new guy wears the Chewbacca suit? I think the number of people who know anything about the voice and suit actors who played Ackbar is pretty small overall.

If you're saying they killed off the character because the (voice) actor died, that's news to me, but if the character was needed it would be no big deal to replace either voice or body. I respect the decision to "retire" the character though.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I wonder if they would have recast him had it not been for what happened with Carrie Fisher. It becomes about respect for a long time vet. If I was the filmmaker I wouldn't do a VO recast if the actor dies anyway. But that's just me. Given that, I respect their decision.

Also, and maybe it's just because I've been producing audioplays since 2010, but I can always tell when a voiceover role has been recast. Don't know if the average fan can though.

Good question. Somehow, I kind of think Ackbar was a gonner regardless, because as Krawlie points out....

Ackbar dying was to show that the First Order really ****ed them up. If he had stayed alive its just be a bunch of nameless faceless rebels. At least people know who Ackbar is.

That all said, I wasn't a fan of killing him off. I don't mean to make more of it than it really is because I am not THAT tied to Ackbar, but I kind of wish they kept him around until episode 9.

I wish SOMEONE from the OT would actually survive the ST, though.

Ackbar muttered something in TLJ. I don't remember what it was but he did say something.

I thought I remembered he did, but couldn't remember what it was or when, exactly. I think it must have been when they were comparing Starkiller Base to the Deathstar.

Weren't the original ANH light saber hilts made from light flash devices on old photograph cameras or something like that?

Last time somebody asked me this I wrote a 70 thesis on the topic. I shant derail, but I can send you info if youre interested.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I wish SOMEONE from the OT would actually survive the ST, though.

We have Threepio, Artoo, Chewie all left, and all are much, much more important characters than Ackbar.

What I am saying is I hope JJ Abrams doesn't get all iconoclastic and kill them off for cheap shock value.

Last time somebody asked me this I wrote a 70 thesis on the topic. I shant derail, but I can send you info if youre interested.

Please do! I'd be very interested! Thanks!

I'm not sure if this is something that's come up already, but why do Snoke and Kylo idolize Vader? Yeah, Vader was the most powerful force user in the galaxy, but he was conflicted inside, and ultimately sided with the good guys. By Snoke and Kylo's standards, doesn't that make him weak? Isn't Vader guilty of the same things that Snoke berates Kylo for? Why do they act like Vader is some kind of god?

Snoke doesn't idolize Vader. In some cut lines from TFA he tells Kylo that the reason the Empire fell was because of Vader's sentiment. Vader did have a run there as baddest motherfucker in the Galaxy. I'm sure Snoke wanted that as an apprentice and used him as a benchmark for Ren.

I'm not sure if this is something that's come up already, but why do Snoke and Kylo idolize Vader? Yeah, Vader was the most powerful force user in the galaxy, but he was conflicted inside, and ultimately sided with the good guys. By Snoke and Kylo's standards, doesn't that make him weak? Isn't Vader guilty of the same things that Snoke berates Kylo for? Why do they act like Vader is some kind of god?

I doubt Snoke had the same view of Vader as the audience did. What would Snoke or even Kylo really know of Anakin's internal conflict?

Snoke doesn't idolize Vader. In some cut lines from TFA he tells Kylo that the reason the Empire fell was because of Vader's sentiment. Vader did have a run there as baddest mother****er in the Galaxy. I'm sure Snoke wanted that as an apprentice and used him as a benchmark for Ren.

If they're cut lines, do we count them? Everything I heard from Snoke in TLJ indicated a reverence for Vader, at least as a legend if not a historical figure. Sort of how Luke was more remembered as a bigger-than-life Jedi Master, rather than a man.

I find it very believable that Luke and Leia may have been very reticent to discuss what they knew of Anakin/Vader. And what did they really know? Unless they got an infodump off-screen (some EU novel, no doubt) they knew almost nothing about Anakin's life.

Im about done with the latest edition of the Bible, Ill put it up when its ready.

The short version is, the props are made from the same parts in ANH, ESB, and TFA. Not literally the same, but the same material. TFA and TLJ just gave it a lot of dedicated close-up shots, something the OT never did outside of the time Luke drops it on Bespin. TLJ especially gives it a giant screen-filling close up. But the dimensions are the same in all 3 movies.

ROTS though did not use the same real-world parts. They made all their sabers from scratch chromed rubber casts of scratch-made originals around the dueling rods.

With ROTS, the details and quality were only approximated and it was a cheap knock off scaled down for the sake of the flashy combat requirements... KIND OF LIKE THE PT IN GENERAL.

But yeah, the prop is smaller in ROTS for all the twirly duel stuff.

Speaking of Lightsabers yesterday my youngest and I went to see TLJ for the third time. She wanted to see it in 3D which meant traveling from one side of Sydney to the other because that's the only cinema that still had a 3D session. Anyway after she gave me an explanation on how 3D works she began to question the physics of a Lightsaber. Since light has no mass how does one wield the weapon and balance it enough to fight. She is 19 but only got into Star Wars with TFA. She also is a science nerd having studied physics, chemistry and the highest levels of mathematics available in high school and her first year of University (where she studied Mechanical Engineering in her first year but has now switched to Data Science and Decision Making achieving high distinctions in all subjects). Anyway I said they was a whole generation of Star Wars fans who have pondered these questions. For me and my other family members Star Wars has always been about the story and mythology. It's interesting to have a daughter who thinks about the science of it all. I said something vague about the balance being in the actual saber/handle itself and mumbled about Jedi making the weapons to their own specifications.

So Tank can you give me an answer that I can pass onto her that will make us both sound highly intelligent. Or at least point me in the direction of someone who ponders the science if you are only concerned with the cinematic history.

Cheers.

I find it very believable that Luke and Leia may have been very reticent to discuss what they knew of Anakin/Vader. And what did they really know? Unless they got an infodump off-screen (some EU novel, no doubt) they knew almost nothing about Anakin's life.

They have R2. Lucas had mentioned before about his idea that these were stories being told years later from the perspective of the droids, who were present for most of the critical things happening in the saga and would be the only ones living on way past everyone else. The pre-Disney EU made use of this by having Luke and Leia learn stuff about their parents through R2. This idea has been tossed aside now that the two droids have been sidelined in the ST.

As for your point, I disagree. I think if your father is widely known as a mass murderer who terrorized the galaxy as the right hand man of a ruthless dictator, you would want your son to know the truth. Why keep it from him and allow him to go on thinking Vader was everything everyone says? You would tell your son his grandfather was once a great Jedi who made some bad choices that cost him dearly so much so that the only way back for him was to sacrifice himself for his children. If Leia, Han and Luke felt it was better to try and keep Kylo in the dark about Vader, then they really are the idiot deadbeats the ST has shown them to be.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.