The I've Seen The Last Jedi Thread (spoilers OBV)

Dark Wader

Well, I mean there are explosions in space in Star Wars, right? There is sound, right? Ships move in ways that should be impossible in space right? Characters stand in bays of ships that are completely open to the vacuum of space, right?

This isn't stuff that is new to The Last Jedi or The Force Awakens or even the prequels. This stuff has been the case since 1977, right?

It really plays into my point earlier about Rey needing a homing beacon. Sure you can go to lengths to explain it in story, she isn't trained or whatver. But that doesn't even matter. Same here, the reason the bombs can drop isn't cause of any kind of artificial gravity on ships or whatever.

It just always seems silly to me when people complain about stuff in new movies that is basically exactly the same as in earlier movies. The laws of physics have no place in Star Wars for the most part and never have. So unless you always complained about there being explosions in space and other things like that you are just being silly complaining about this.

Just like complaining about Reys beacon is silly unless you had similar complaints in Jedi when Luke doesn't just find Leia when she is missing and off with Ewoks.

Star Wars complaints are inherently silly, because ultimately these films are for children. Why did Luke kiss hiss sister, why didn't Lule's robot arm clunk to the ground why he became a fart in the wind, why was Anakin's force ghost....ah whatever.

I know that's why we all post here, but c'mon. This shit is religion to some people so we have to humor them. It's real stuff. And it matters.

Btw Rian Johnson has been accused of sexual misconduct with the childhoods of many lifelong SW fans. somewhere George Lucas is laughing.

Was I the only one mildly annoyed by the Dreadnaught? I mean, do we really have to have a bigger-badder ship in every movie? Wasn't the Star Destroyer from TFA already a big upgrade from the Super Star Destroyer in ROTJ? Not mention we also just had the Death Star-on-steroids with Starkiller. It was a bit of an eyeroll for me.

Everything about the First Order reminds of Hasbro's stupid Power of the Force line from the mid-90's.

Was I the only one mildly annoyed by the Dreadnaught? I mean, do we really have to have a bigger-badder ship in every movie? Wasn't the Star Destroyer from TFA already a big upgrade from the Super Star Destroyer in ROTJ? Not mention we also just had the Death Star-on-steroids with Starkiller. It was a bit of an eyeroll for me.

Everything about the First Order reminds of Hasbro's stupid Power of the Force line from the mid-90's.

The idea of the bad guys adding bigger and better weapons has always been there in Star Wars

Star Wars has Star Destroyers and a Death Star

Empire has a "Super Star Destroyer" that dwarfs the already incredibly large Star Destroyers

Jedi has another Death Star even more powerful than the first dreaded Death Star

This is something that the movies have always done.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Okay so Im not reading through 100 pages to catch up, so sorrybif this has already been covered. But tracking through hyperspace is new tech? Isnt that exactly how the empire found Yavin, because they tracked the falcon? I mean I guess its possible the falcon never went to hyperspace but that doesnt seem right either. Yavin and Alderaan mustve been in adjacent systems then.

The only thing i can thing of is maybe they placed a tracking device on the falcon, but once it jumps into hyperspace they can't track it until it gets back into regular space. IN ANH's case, from the Death Star's perspective, the Falcon disappeared for a bit, and once it got to the Yavin system, they were then able to see it again. So, it's more like a homing beacon.

The idea of the bad guys adding bigger and better weapons has always been there in Star Wars

Maybe you're right and I'm biased, but it felt different. Did anyone in ESB point out the Super Star Destroyer and call it by name however many times they talked about the Dreadnaught? Did they say it at all? The Dreadnaught thing had sort of a feeling of product placement to me.

As for the bombs thing: yep, physics doesn't matter in SW, but the explanation that the bomber has artificial gravity (which it clearly does) which starts the "fall" of the bombs, is perfectly good for me.

Okay so Im not reading through 100 pages to catch up, so sorrybif this has already been covered. But tracking through hyperspace is new tech? Isnt that exactly how the empire found Yavin, because they tracked the falcon? I mean I guess its possible the falcon never went to hyperspace but that doesnt seem right either. Yavin and Alderaan mustve been in adjacent systems then.

The only thing i can thing of is maybe they placed a tracking device on the falcon, but once it jumps into hyperspace they can't track it until it gets back into regular space. IN ANH's case, from the Death Star's perspective, the Falcon disappeared for a bit, and once it got to the Yavin system, they were then able to see it again. So, it's more like a homing beacon.

You nailed it. That's exactly how it happened.

Tarkin: "Are they away?"

Vader: "They have just made the jump into hyperspace."

Tarkin: "You're sure the homing beacon is secure aboard their ship? I'm taking an awful risk, Vader. This had better work."

We also see an example of this in AOTC when Obi Wan chucks a homing beacon at Slave I and is able to track Jango Fett to Geonosis.

(By the way, Leia knew the Falcon was being tracked. So why fly straight to Yavin? Go somewhere else and switch ships or something.)

Maybe you're right and I'm biased, but it felt different. Did anyone in ESB point out the Super Star Destroyer and call it by name however many times they talked about the Dreadnaught? Did they say it at all? The Dreadnaught thing had sort of a feeling of product placement to me.

As for the bombs thing: yep, physics doesn't matter in SW, but the explanation that the bomber has artificial gravity (which it clearly does) which starts the "fall" of the bombs, is perfectly good for me.

It's just cause you were a kid. You are right in that they didn't mention the name of the Super Star Destroyer over and over but its introduction is clearly there to make is seem much larger and more imposing than the other Star Destroyers when in Star Wars the movie literally opens with showing how large and imposing a Star Destroyer is.

People are just jaded now "oh an even bigger ship?" then rolls the eyes. Fact is Star Wars has always done this. Just that when you are a kid you actually will think "holy crap look how big that ship is! Wow, how will the rebels win now??". Just like in this movie, a kid will think "wow that dreadnaught is crazy!" Whereas an adult kinda knows its just another ship for them to blow up.

Star Wars has Star Destroyers and a Death Star

Empire has a "Super Star Destroyer" that dwarfs the already incredibly large Star Destroyers

Jedi has another Death Star even more powerful than the first dreaded Death Star

No, I mean they're like amped versions of their OT Empire analogues. I can understand and tech evolution (like comparing WWII battleships to modern era), but their designs take a "more pouches" approach. They have even attached "mega" to the new designs.

(Back to OT, I'll never buy that the Death Star II was larger and more power than the 1st, just because they say so. It didn't seem at all demonstrably so.)

(Back to OT, I'll never buy that the Death Star II was larger and more power than the 1st, just because they say so. It didn't seem at all demonstrably so.)

Good point and I agree. That's going in my head canon.

Did anyone ever actually say that in ROTJ? Or is that just something that was written in some visual dictionary years later?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.