Star Trek: A film by Quentin Tarantino

David

Sounds a bit bittersweet. A full happy ending would probably require bringing in Famke Jannsen to be by his side after her husband died and she was free to join him.

I also wonder about the whole Irumodic Syndrome thing he should be deep in the throes of by now, but I suppose that could be technobabbled away.

They always said the future in the finale was only a possible future. And after he shared the events, Worf and Riker seemed determined to make sure it didn't happen. Given that Riker married Troi, and Picard didn't marry Crusher, that future is avoided.

So maybe in the prime timeline a cure was invented for the disease?

Guest El Chalupacabra

I always like the idea that Picard takes Kirk's advice and never gives up the chair.

I like to think Nemesis sort of alludes to that. He retains command of the Enterprise-E at the end, even though most of the crew moves on.

They always said the future in the finale was only a possible future. And after he shared the events, Worf and Riker seemed determined to make sure it didn't happen. Given that Riker married Troi, and Picard didn't marry Crusher, that future is avoided.

So maybe in the prime timeline a cure was invented for the disease?

Not to mention the Enterprise-D was destroyed in Generations, which infers the movies are a different timeline than All Good Things.

And who is to say if Picard shows up on Discovery, that it won't be a Picard from yet another timeline, anyway.

Yeah, I know the timeline is different. The final scene of the series is even dedicated to their resolving not to let that future where they drift apart happen, including Picard's decision to join their poker game. But, you'd think that a degenerative neurological disease without a cure whose precursors are already detectable would continue no matter what the timeline.

Like I said, it'd be fairly easy to hand wave, but still, if we're going by what we would assume to happen post-Nemesis, Picard should be facing dementia by the time he reaches Patrick Stewart's current age.

Actually, it'd be kinda a good storyline if he'd taken precautions to stave off Irumodic Syndrome, but it finally catches up with him, finally forcing him into retirement. But before he goes, a young Vulcan in the crew does a mind meld with him to alleviate the symptoms for a short time like Picard himself once did for Sarek so that he can perform in one last mission.

Guest Robin

I would love if they just tie in Old Picard like Old Spock and have him fix all this shit like Marty McFly, awesome Picard lectures, face palms and oops faces included. Dont ignore early crazy man brain disease, just push that as something hes struggling with just not as tragic as old grandpa style like All Good. Doing this allows Picard to be Picard but could allow you to do Picard in a way that is different fresh or intriquing for Patrick. Almost Doctor Who but not because that would be a rip and this would be best served as a mega Infinity War crossover film event.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah, I know the timeline is different. The final scene of the series is even dedicated to their resolving not to let that future where they drift apart happen, including Picard's decision to join their poker game. But, you'd think that a degenerative neurological disease without a cure whose precursors are already detectable would continue no matter what the timeline.

Like I said, it'd be fairly easy to hand wave, but still, if we're going by what we would assume to happen post-Nemesis, Picard should be facing dementia by the time he reaches Patrick Stewart's current age.

Actually, it'd be kinda a good storyline if he'd taken precautions to stave off Irumodic Syndrome, but it finally catches up with him, finally forcing him into retirement. But before he goes, a young Vulcan in the crew does a mind meld with him to alleviate the symptoms for a short time like Picard himself once did for Sarek so that he can perform in one last mission.

I agree with you that a Picard battling dementia would be very interesting, and fitting. It would be very Sarek-like, and considering Sarek and Picard mind-melded, it would be a nice connection to the past. Stewart in All Good Things Logan shows us a glimpse of what it could be like to see a Picard losing his mental faculties, and how brilliant he can be as an actor.

That said, I think if you wanted to use canon to explain Picard without dementia, it can be explained away (talking head canon, anyway) that the actual timeline saw technological advancements that the All Good Things timeline didn't see. You have the Dominion War (DS9), as well as multiple Borg invasions and encounters (First Contact, Voyager), where both examples saw new, and innovative ships and tech introduced (EG Defiant & Prometheus class ships, holo doctors, 7 of 9 bringing Borg tech to the Federation as a few examples). Not to mention the Voyager finale where future Janeway brings future tech back in time.

Also, you have Insurrection where Picard was shown to have had aging reversed. It obviously sucks for Geordi who went blind again by Nemesis, but maybe Picard's Irumodic Syndrome was cured or it's effects were put on indefinite hold. Failing all that, who is to say Q wouldn't step in and hand wave it all away.

But let's be real or a minute: Discovery or JJ-era movie Trek will just DO stuff. They don't go deep with anything on any level. They won't explain Picard not being senile (if they go that route) very much if at all, and probably not very well if they try to explain it. You'll just have to accept it, if Picard shows up without dementia. Hell, I doubt the current Discovery writers would even know what Irumodic Syndrome is, or be aware Picard had it in All Good Things.

But let's be real or a minute: Discovery or JJ-era movie Trek will just DO stuff. They don't go deep with anything on any level. They won't explain Picard not being senile (if they go that route) very much if at all, and probably not very well if they try to explain it. You'll just have to accept it, if Picard shows up without dementia. Hell, I doubt the current Discovery writers would even know what Irumodic Syndrome is, or be aware Picard had it in All Good Things.

<sigh>

I suppose. Now to convince them that they need to make a straight-up episodic series.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.