DIY tech projects

With the ease of things like the Raspberry Pi, what kind of DIY projects have you done? Any?

I think Chalup has done a custom streaming box, which sounds awesome. Anything else?

I've done some emulators, which was a fun project. Backed away from it after I started my new job, though. I have a few other projects that I would like to do, but I don't ever seem to have time.

That's pretty sweet. Did you buy a motherboard with the processor already installed, or did you do that yourself?

I've built desktops before, but always went with the preinstalled processor. I may have been able to get a better value doing it separately, but I also would've probably destroyed everything and cost myself a bunch of money.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I've messed with Raspberry Pi for streaming and as a game emulator (similar to what Fozzie worked on a while back), but to be sure, it is NOT my primary device. In fact, I rarely use it these days (they are AWESOME devices, though), and only put it together just to do it (I originally purchased it for a digital signage project, and other experimentation). My multimedia set up at home is simple, low tech, low dollar, but effective and meets my needs. I have 2 Windows 10 PCs connected to both my HDTVs (living room, bed room), which I built like 5 years ago, so they are not state of the art. I upgrade the PCs as I need and stuffed as many 2 TB hard drives as I could in each, use SSDs as boot drives, and upgrade video cards occasionally. You would think I would do the Plex route, but since I only view movies, etc at home, I find simple file sharing between the two PCs, sufficient. I'm a techie by trade, so by the time I get home, the last thing I want to do is work on tech stuff unless I have to, or I am doing someone a solid.

But I own a classic Chevy so I am often tuning or tinkering on it as needed. Not a mechanic by any means, but I (along with my brother, who also has a Chevy, which I helped him on) removed for rebuild and re installed the engine, transmission, rear axle, rebuilt the brake system, and other maintenance stuff. In fact, my brother just bought a 1959 Chevy Biscayne this weekend that seems a basket case, so I am sure I will be giving him a hand on that in the near future.

That's pretty sweet. Did you buy a motherboard with the processor already installed, or did you do that yourself?

I've built desktops before, but always went with the preinstalled processor. I may have been able to get a better value doing it separately, but I also would've probably destroyed everything and cost myself a bunch of money.

Installed the CPU manually.. Did the gel/glue thing. I admit I had a lot of help from my friend (who knows a lot about computers) and he told me what needed doing.. But essentially I built it myself. So I have a beast of a desktop PC for work... That also happens to be aweeeeeesome for gaming hahah

It was fun. Like complicated adult Lego. Although there were moments where you kind of need to use more force than you'd expect to snap things into place and you feel like you're about to break something really important and expensive.. But it worked out in the end

Final specs are

Intel i5 Kaby lake processor (which we over clocked to abut 4.5 GHz)

16GB of DDR4 RAM

Nvidia Ge-force GTX 1070 graphics card

A solid state drive to boot off and run more demanding software from

And a larger Hybrid Drive for storing/running everything else.

I always wanted a proper gaming rig when I was younger but could never afford one.. So when I finally made a decent sale (I paint) and didn't have immediate bills for the money to go on, I went full retard. And I'm so glad I did, because it's a great machine to work on (photoshop painting and editing large files etc) but I can play all modern games on it at ultra graphics settings without any performance loss.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I think I'm going to get a Raspberry Pi kit for our Girl Scout troop in a couple of years. My daughter is showing a lot of interest in robotics, trying to get her a few kits to tinker with.

A friend of mine at work has a 6 year old daughter, and he is already letting her learn how to program with a Raspberry Pi. They have all kinds of tutorials geared for young kids.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.