The Orville

I have to say that this show is a flop without the chemistry between Ed and Kelly. They tie the ship and the show together and I'm really invested in the show because of them.

Special mention for Doctor Cassidy Yates. She is also very good on her own.

On the topic of Ed and Kelly - she put in a good word for Ed with the admiralty to help get him a command. Did she also request the First Officer position, or was that something that the admirals made part of the deal? As in "You think he deserves a command? Fine, but you have to watch him!" Certainly she seems like she would be a great captain.

And I just remembered that those red aliens that kidnapped Ed and Kelly had transporters (or something that at least looked like a transporter/teleporter), so the technology exists in The Orville universe, but the Union doesn't have it (yet). They could do The Enemy Within with good/evil Ed Mercers. What would that be like?

Your dump comment was more crass than your usual comments.

When you wipe someone's butt on a daily basis, you tend to be pretty desensitized to it. Having young children changes you.

Although, to be fair, I've always been willing to make poop and penis jokes. Mostly to annoy Pong, but I still have done it.

Future-chick had teleportation tech too, right?

I know that they show has already been renewed for a second season, but my guess is that this is one of those shows that has a good first season, and then limps along. I'm sure it won't be as bad as Heroes, but it'll need to grow quite a bit to maintain quality for very long.

Season finale ended pretty well. Good way of handling the Ed/Kelly story, another example of a more developed culture having teleportation technology.

• 11 months later...

So I just started watching this, I think it is okay, I guess. I feel like the show is at war with itself. The comedy is tame, the performances are flat and as a result the show feels less like an endearing satire and more like getting knock-off toys for Christmas. The first episode is 45 minutes long, roughly a third of Galaxy Quests length but it feels twice as long and not even half as amusing. Im going to watch the next episode now.

I wouldn't describe it as satire, and certainly wouldn't go in with that expectation. It's more light-hearted sci-fi. TNG-era Trek with the worst crew instead of the best. It was advertised as a comedy, but I think that was because of MacFarlane's history than anything with the show itself.

If it is not a intended as a comedy /or satire, I feel like the show is worse. Im half way into episode two now and the show is doing The Menagerie except without the thought and they are already using technobabble to solve the problem. So far this makes OS Trek look like hardcore sci-fi.

Side: My teen daughter just got home from school, she watched for a second as she was putting away her winter gear and then commented, So is this like a Star Trek rip-off?

And on that this show does not feel much better than Star Trek Continues.

I haven't liked any Trek since TNG, and didn't even watch every episode of that. IMO, pretty much everything released after The Undiscovered Country has been a Trek rip-off, so I enjoyed the show. But I can see why someone who is a Trek fan wouldn't care for it. For me, it was a perfect antidote for everything that happened starting with DS9.

• 5 months later...

Season 2 had some great stuff. Lots of holodeck sex, time travel, war, an annoying obsession with Moclans, and an acoustic guitar.

I liked the first season, but it really hit a groove in season 2, and I'm excited for season 3.

• 1 year later...

Season 2 had some great stuff. Lots of holodeck sex, time travel, war, an annoying obsession with Moclans, and an acoustic guitar.

I liked the first season, but it really hit a groove in season 2, and I'm excited for season 3.

Me too-- it was so note for note perfect at emulating TNG. I missed that even if it was a little hokey. After Picard though I realized I love it even more.

Also, MacFarlane was always a huge Trek fan. That he got a studio to fund his cosplay Trek fantasies is hilarious to me.

I'm not surprised that season 3 may be it's last, but it's interesting that no real news sites are even jumping on these claims.

The second season ended so long ago it's kinda off the radar.

I get that, but there's still a lack of real coverage, so at this point I'm going to take it with a grain of salt. I'm not surprised if it is true, but it seems to be mostly an internet rumor right now.

And it seems like a producer for the show is stating that it's just a rumor. And the original "reporter" is coming back with "Well he says it's false but at the same time doesn't guarantee there will be a season 4, so I'm right" which is stupid and makes me wish the internet didn't exist, because it gives people like that the ability to have a loud voice.

• 1 year later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.