What do you guys know about Sling TV?

Ms. Spam

PS Vue is nice. We're getting rid of it after college football season, but I like it. I don't remember the Sling prices, but I remember that it seems really cheap but you had to keep adding things ala carte that raised the price considerably.

I use Sling TV on an irregular basis, usually when there is a show that we want to see and cant get anywhere else. Usually we cancel it for the winter and get it again in the summer for summer series. This year though we want to see Doctor Who and Sling has BBC America. Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix through a Roku stick have been sufficient for year-round viewing for us though.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Kodi has access to more services via plug ins than a typical Firestick or Roku, etc, though. Many of which are free, and I am not talking about the pirated stuff, either. You can even Amazon or Netflix or Sling through it if you want. A Raspberry Pi will take a lot longer before it is obsoleted than a proprietary streaming device (I still use a Raspberry Pi 2), and is far more able to be customized. It's like a choice between a Speak and Spell and a real computer. That was my point.

Kodi has access to more services via plug ins than a typical Firestick or Roku, etc, though. Many of which are free, and I am not talking about the pirated stuff, either. You can even Amazon or Netflix or Sling through it if you want. A Raspberry Pi will take a lot longer before it is obsoleted than a proprietary streaming device (I still use a Raspberry Pi 2), and is far more able to be customized. It's like a choice between a Speak and Spell and a real computer. That was my point.

But she's asking about services, not hardware. In fact, pavonis made a brief mention of owning a Roku stick, but other than that, nobody's even discussed hardware. I'm familiar with Raspberry Pi and Kodi (I have a personal preference for Plex), but I don't think that it's really relevant to the discussion being had.

For what it's worth, I have a server running Ubuntu with Plex installed, and it does everything I could want. If/when it dies, I'll switch to a Pi based system for cost/efficiency.

OK duly noted. I didn't mean to upset anyone. All I was doing was offering a suggestion no one had mentioned yet.

I'm not upset, I just think that it's a little off-topic. I would love to have a topic devoted to Raspberry Pi, though. I wish I had unlimited time to make all the projects.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.