With Justice League Floundering, Will DC Finally Rethink Their Shared Extended Universe?

Poe Dameron

I love Grace and Frankie on Netflix and I think having a Ma Kent that is like Tomlins Frankie would be great. I have been imagining a Superman story were he doesnt yet know he is Kryptonian but has been Superman for a while. The story opens with major bombast the likes of which superhero films have conditioned us to see, but then Supes has no powers left because of it. So he and Lois and his Ma, she insists, go on this Last Crusade and Romancing the Stone like adventure where Supes discovers who he actually is and gets recharged.

So earlier I watched the first Toby Spider-Man and I realized that Joe Manganiello plays Flash. I pictured him watching Homecoming and thinking "so they got some tough nerd Indian guy to play me?"

Oh crap, I have to watch that again, too, I had no idea Joe Manganiello was in that movie.

LITERALLY everything you say is the opposite of the reality and intent behind diversity championing.

The only people whose intent I am questioning are the politicians who happily foment racial animus for the purpose of creating voting blocs and don't even try to hide it.

I am questioning the reality because I am looking at the results.

Anyway, I'll let you have the last word and hopefully we'll call this done.

The general concensus I've seen from minority communities is that they want everyone to "see color," because race is a huge, huge thing in our society and always has been, and we have not dealt with it well at all. We've tried ignoring the problem, and it did not go away.

Well, now we've tried making it everything and we're living through the most racially divisive times of my life.

Instead of working together on the problem as we had been, we're staring across a chasm again and the chasm is only widening. Worse yet, we're not even allowed to talk about it.

Further ponderance of day dreams:

The Birthing-Escape Pod genetic sequencer can be used to bring out and embrace a lot of Supermans sillier past. Lets face it, there is a lot of history for DC that is awesomely absurd. So... now the Legion of Super Pets could truly be Kryptonians. lol

Morons whined heavily about both, saying Gal was too skinny and the Ghostbusters reboot was sexist. Although the Ghostbusters whiners were much more aggressive. Unless I missed some bombshell, no creative went into those projects to cause division, they were concepts they thought would be entertaining. The divisive and hateful response to those concepts is on the responders. I feel to argue otherwise approaches the same line of thought of a victim shamer.

In fairness, I argued against the idea that because there were four male ghostbusters that a reboot had to be four female ghostbusters. I was instead in favor of a continuation/baton passing to characters like Oscar (Danas kid) and then a child of Winstons. But that was more a day dreamy concept thingy rather than their project would suck because type of argument, or any silly idea of ownership (which is likely the basis for many of our fan reactions to numerous projects).

I thought Ghostbusters was a dead thing and wasn't desperate for more of it. But I thought the idea of an all-female Ghostbusters had great potential whereas some people seemed to think that an all-female Ghostbusters could never be great, and I had very little sympathy for them.

I didn't think it was bad, but I thought it was unambitious and too family-friendly in tone (I really wanted a scene where Kristen Wiig called Slimer a little ****). Which is probably more damning.

I don't know if it's a fair comparison either. Wonder Woman in the DCEU had to be made. That it was a good movie helped. We didn't need another Ghostbusters. Let alone a recast one set in some universe where the originals never happened. That it was a bad movie didn't help matters.

We don't need a Back to the Future 4. If it were to be green lit as a reboot with an all female cat, yes it would get dumped on. To be fair it would take crap if it were recast with male actors as well. Not as much, but it would.

Me and my friends went to see Ghostbusters and had a fantastic time watching a fun, goofy little comedy. We bought a few Funko Pops, started using gifs from the movie in our usual gif rotation, quoted the movie to each other, and all bought the bluray. Other than dealing with neckbeards online telling us that the movie is some abomination because it doesnt honor their penises enough, we had a very positive Ghostbusters experience.

We also adore Wonder Woman, because contrary to popular belief we women dont have to be pitted against each other all the time, even the fictional ones.

I actually thought Ghostbusters was okay the first time I saw it. When it came on HBO was able to figure out how much of the last third of the movie I actually slept through. Wow I really dozed off because that last part was terrible. It didn't have to honor the originals. Honestly the cameos should have been left out.

I'm still asking for legit examples of what recasting outside previously established gender/race results in that's so terrible. If Ghostbusters is that example I'm guessing then we're saying if we keep doing this we'll get movies that won't be hits and everyone will move on?

My God... the Republic IS doomed!

Guest El Chalupacabra

We don't need a Back to the Future 4. If it were to be green lit as a reboot with an all female cat, yes it would get dumped on.

I don't know about anyone else, but I, for one, would fully support Einstein the dog being recast as a cat. Far too long has lead roles gone to the dogs. It's time for equality, and time to start casting cats in lead roles. Time to end this institutional discrimination against felines, and time to end canine privilege. Let's get woke, people.

#meowtoo!

We don't need a Back to the Future 4. If it were to be green lit as a reboot with an all female cat, yes it would get dumped on.

I don't know about anyone else, but I, for one, would fully support Einstein the dog being recast as a cat. Far too long has lead roles gone to the dogs. It's time for equality, and time to start casting cats in lead roles. Time to end this institutional discrimination against felines, and time to end canine privilege. Let's get woke, people.

#meowtoo!

But that might lead to dogs and cats living together

#meowtoo!

But that might lead to dogs and cats living together
Mass Hysteria!!!

The problem with a Ghostbusters remake is this: It's alway going to pale in comparison to the original. No matter if it's all male/all female/a mix of the two. It just doesn't matter. So when you make it all female with the intent of kind of saying "women are just as funny as men" you are putting those women in an impossible spot because they have slim to none chance of measuring up the original, through no real fault of their own.

If you remake it with a split squad between men and women, you don't have that issue. Now there will be some morons who will hate any women being Ghostbusters, but that's a smaller percentage. Most would see one or two female Ghostbusters as sort of the normal progression between 1984 and now. So when the movie doesn't live up the original it's just another remake that isn't as good as original rather than someone seemingly trying to make a point that women can be as good as men and then the movie coming up short.

Obviously if the movie is good that trumps everything. If the new version was as good as Ghostbusters 2 it might have gotten a sequel.

It's Monday morning quarterback for sure, but the new Ghostbusters should have been a sequel. The main character should have been Pete Vinkman Jr. Not Oscar, but Pete and Dana's kid. Maybe not all the Ghostbusters kids but Pete Jr and Egon Jr to honor Harold Ramis. The original team don't show up until late in the game to assist the new guys or to congratulate them after they put down Gozer Jr.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.