You’re Rian Johnson... now what?

Tank

Guest El Chalupacabra

Whatever Rian Johnson's new trilogy is, it WON'T be KOTOR....

http://mashable.com/2017/12/05/star-wars-rian-johnson-trilogy-not-old-republic/#5cyubCOe.iq1

I'm a little sad, but OKAY with this, too. In fact, part of me is relieved, because if KOTOR were adapted (either faithfully or loosely), there were bound to be a lot of changes, anyway.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Thank God.

Silencio! Even Rian Johnson affirms the KOTOR games are awesome. Maybe not necessarily movie material (I can see how they would be difficult to adapt), but I certainly loved the two KOTOR games. Without them, there would have been no Mass Effect, either.

What part of "new corner of the galaxy with new characters" (or whatever) did people not understand?

I was never under any illusion they would do a straight adaptation of KOTOR. I was just hoping they would set the next trilogy in the far past and draw on some of the highlights as inspiration, nods, or homages, in the same way Rogue One seemed to have some minor influences/passing resemblences from Dark Forces games.

Depending on how well-received the back ground of Ahch To (or Journal of the Whills?) is, maybe we will see a trilogy set in the ancient past, after all. But if not, that is OKAY, too.

Just no more young Han Solo movies, or spin offs of said young Han Solo movies, please.

Guest El Chalupacabra

If by retelling, you mean what if Luke were an amnesiac sith lord who was once a Jedi, and becomes a Jedi again?

Actually, what I liked most about the kotor games was that they balanced echoing everything in both the pt and ot, while maintaining their own unique stories.

Exactly. I mean, the basic plot was mostly A New Hope with some of the rest of the original Trilogy thrown in (namely the protagonist turning out to be Darth Revan, akin to Darth Vader turning out to be Luke's father), just a bit of the prequel trilogy (Revan and Bastila's forbidden roman, Jedi versus Sith), as well as original stuff. It was done in a way that wasn't a blatant rip-off. In fact, it was so well done that I didn't even realize that was what it was until about a decade later.

Do his quotes totally remove a movie from the Old Republic though? He said he loved the game and understood people wanting to see a movie based on it, but then said the fun part is the new characters and stories they can tell. He didn't say "oh no, I wont be in that era." His comments are vague at best. If you take the original statement on his trilogy that it would take us to a corner of the galaxy never seen before to mean "not seen in movies" then an movie set during that time period is still possible.

People are probably too into the time period of the movie anyway. It doesn't matter much unless he is going to do something like show the first Jedi or something along those lines. If you accept that technology in Star Wars is eternal then it really doesn't matter.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Do his quotes totally remove a movie from the Old Republic though?

I think it leaves room for Rian Johnson's version and interpretation of Old Republic era trilogy. It may not be called that, but basically a de-facto Old Republic era.

But at this point, I think it is fair to say even Rian Johnson isn't sure what he wants to do yet (per article), and any de-facto Old Republic stuff may never even happen. It's just as likely he goes forward into the future, beyond episode 9.

\

I cant imagine he has no idea. Theres no way theyre granting him three movies without a pretty big pitch.

Maybe The Last Jedi is just that good that they did.

I could see Kennedy buying into a person as much as she buys into an idea. If she loved working with Johnson and believes he is especially talented then that would easily be worthier of investment in than any idea.

I'm sure she believes in him and that's fifty percent of it, but she's not doing it on only that.

At the very least, there was: "you know I really dig these porgs and I'd love to do a trilogy delving into their backstory, it would be like yadda yadda yadda, then the big explosion and roll credits."

I dont think anyone thought that. Just something set in a similar time period. Ive never played the game or even seen it, Im just aware of the time period.

The internet is full of fanboys who did exactly that. They heard new, fresh, unconnected and immediately jumped to OH I BET I HOPE IT BETTER BE AN ADAPTION OF KOTOR.

Cause nothing says NEW and ORIGINAL like adapting a decade old video game that takes place in the past.

It was never in the running and it annoys how much people whine and complain about how unoriginal Hollywood is, and yet unless its their favorite thing that already exists, they lose it.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I cant imagine he has no idea. Theres no way theyre granting him three movies without a pretty big pitch.

Good point, but I think Choc may have a good point as well. Perhaps the real answer is he has multiple rough ideas, but hasn't decided which way to go yet.

I dont think anyone thought that. Just something set in a similar time period. Ive never played the game or even seen it, Im just aware of the time period.

The internet is full of fanboys who did exactly that. They heard new, fresh, unconnected and immediately jumped to OH I BET I HOPE IT BETTER BE AN ADAPTION OF KOTOR.

Cause nothing says NEW and ORIGINAL like adapting a decade old video game that takes place in the past.

It was never in the running and it annoys how much people whine and complain about how unoriginal Hollywood is, and yet unless its their favorite thing that already exists, they lose it.

Well, for those who actually thought that, they were deluding themselves because KOTOR was decanonized, anyway.

I am a KOTOR fanboy, admittedly, but like I said a few posts/pages back, I was just hoping for a setting in the distant past and some KOTOR influences/homages, with an original story and new characters. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. After all, this was originally a thread asking if we were Rian Johnson, what we would do, right?

I don't think Johnson went in there and was like "I go nothing, give me money". I also don't think he made some elaborate pitch. He's been busy making The Last Jedi I'd think. I just think this is more about believing in him rather than believing in any specific idea he has at this point. I mean look at it this way, they want to make a Star Wars movie every year, right? As of now they only have movies scheduled through 2019. That's coming up quick. Personally I don't think they will jump right into Episode X in 2021. So starting in 2020 they need movies. What seems a better option, giving Johnson who they obviously love, 3 movies to fill in 3 of those years and then peppering in stand alones around that or having to find a new writer and new director and new ideas for stand alone movies every single year?

I agree with this. I would not want to see KOTOR adapted. It would be just as asinine as adapting A New Hope into yet another film and combining it with the Legacy of the Force novels and changing the names.

Oh, wait . . .

[Edit] Also, when did you become Tank again?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.