You’re Rian Johnson... now what?

Tank

I know, but I've just got a bit of a phobia about too much / irrelevant detail, and that's heightened by the starting from scratch aspect.

So I never ever want to see a scene in a SW movie that shows someone building a lightsaber. If that ever happens, then "they" will have won and what's left of my passion for SW might vanish altogether.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Literally every Star Wars movie was mostly new places.

Except for the 4 movies that had the desert planet called Tatooine, and the one that had a the desert planet called NOT-Tatooine. And then there was the one with the planet called NOT-Tatooine-with-the-giant-mesa-that-had-a-Star Destroyer-hovering-over-it.

Except for the 4 movies that had the desert planet called Tatooine, and the one that had a the desert planet called NOT-Tatooine. And then there was the one with the planet called NOT-Tatooine with the giant mesa that has a Star Destroyer hovering over it.

That's why I said "mostly."

So I never ever want to see a scene in a SW movie that shows someone building a lightsaber. If that ever happens, then "they" will have won and what's left of my passion for SW might vanish altogether.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I see. You must have been referring to the Mustafar, which we saw in ROTS. Or was it R1?

Or that Death Star from ANH. Or was it ROTJ?

Or that forrest planet from ROTJ. Or was it TFA? Oh wait, wasn't it frozen in TFA, like Hoth?

Or that city planet from TPM. Or was it AOTC? Or was it ROTS? No it must have been the one in TFA that was blown up!

Why are you Poe Dameron-ing me?

My point is that each Star Wars movies has new worlds, locations, tech, and cultures. Not once, even in the crap-ass PT, has the story ever slowed down and got bogged down by world building details.

I don;'t see why Rian saying NEW STUFF should cause any worry when ever single movie has NEW STUFF.

So I never ever want to see a scene in a SW movie that shows someone building a lightsaber.

As a prop nerd, I demand that the eventual Obi-Wan movie show him fixing up his and Anakin's sand-damaged lightsabers to explain the detail differences in the props between ROTS and ANH.

Except for the 4 movies that had the desert planet called Tatooine, and the one that had a the desert planet called NOT-Tatooine. And then there was the one with the planet called NOT-Tatooine with the giant mesa that has a Star Destroyer hovering over it.

Aside from the 'Luuuuke.......Luuuuuke.....join me.....' bit of dialogue.. I kind of liked that scene. Maybe thats just because I never seen it before though and can't see it objectively.

There's a whole bunch of stuff that was to be the first act of ROTJ that ended up either being cut, or dropped from the shooting schedule. This scene and the sandstorm scene were shot, then dropped, other stuff was ready to be shot, but was dropped.

There's a whole bunch of stuff that was to be the first act of ROTJ that ended up either being cut, or dropped from the shooting schedule. This scene and the sandstorm scene were shot, then dropped, other stuff was ready to be shot, but was dropped.

What else was dropped entirely? I knew of the lightsaber and sandstorm scene, but don't recall what else off the top of my head.

More stuff with Vader's conflict with the Emperor, Leia was on a mission scouting out the Death Star 2 that gets waylaid when Lando sends word of finding Han, Han was already unfrozen and scheduled to be executed, hence them coming to rescue him when they did, there's the team reuniting on Tattooine, Leia arriving in a Y-Wing, then post rescuing Han there was an extended bit in a sand storm before they head out-- basically the first act was longer and had more going on.

Some of it was lost in the script phase, some was cut during production. Rinzler's Making of Return of the Jedi book covers some of it-- including sets that were already built that had to be struck after things were dropped.

Basically, from what I heard, what became Return of the Jedi was Lucas' original last four installments--Episodes VI through IX--condensed into one. The Emperor was originally planned to have been defeated in Episode IX.

Mara: Yeah, I guess from that perspective I came "late" to the EU (unless you want to count The Glove of Darth Vader), but a good many people I talk to started in the 2000s, so I still consider myself to have jumped on board fairly early. Plus, it by the way you describe the events of your life, it sounds like you are a tad older than me. What you said is mostly true, though there are a fair many people in the movement who have been on board since the '80s.

Guest El Chalupacabra

So I never ever want to see a scene in a SW movie that shows someone building a lightsaber.

As a prop nerd, I demand that the eventual Obi-Wan movie show him fixing up his and Anakin's sand-damaged lightsabers to explain the detail differences in the props between ROTS and ANH.

I think if they depicted a lightsaber build or repair, that would be perfect.

The best EU story ever was Han Solo at Star's End. If the Han Solo prequel movie has him up against the CSA I'll die happy.

I understand the new EU books have re-canonized the CSA, so it could happen.

I don;'t see why Rian saying NEW STUFF should cause any worry when ever single movie has NEW STUFF.

I am actually for new worlds. New directions, as well. I still would like to see Rian Johnson's take on pre-prequel/de facto Old Republic, and if it were completely different than the EU version of Old Republic, I would LOVE to see it.

Thank you! I noticed most of those things when I watched the movie as well. When they said the third Death Star thing was powered by a star, I said, "You mean like the ****ing Star Forge?" Plus the star map.

I guess the other things were inevitable since, as I've said, both KOTOR and Episode Whatever were retellings of A New Hope, though the former far less blatantly than the latter.

Also, you guys are using the term "new EU" to refer to everything outside the films from the new canon. I can understand why you would want to label it as such, but you are technically being incorrect. Disney's LucasFilm has expunged the term "Expanded Universe" and has no official term to refer to those works. The EU was, is, and always will be strictly the old canon, which is now called "Legends" (though I refuse to use that term).

What else was dropped entirely? I knew of the lightsaber and sandstorm scene, but don't recall what else off the top of my head.

I don't know if the scenes are provided in any DVD releases, but there's a scene with Vader denied seeing the Emperor and force-choking Jerjerrod out of the way and about to then take on Royal Guardsmen. Another scene with Luke in the throne room, the Emperor commands the Death Star be pointed at the moon and be ready to destroy it.

Another scene with Luke in the throne room, the Emperor commands the Death Star be pointed at the moon and be ready to destroy it.

Really? That is funny to me. It's obvious why it was cut. Let's blow up the moon that has the half-built death star's shield generator on it. You know, the thing preventing ships from flying inside the death star and blowing it up from the inside. Yes let's destroy that along with a dozen rebels down there that are trying to accomplish that very same thing, completing their mission for them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.