Your ideas for reboots, remakes or revivals

Guest El Chalupacabra

Guest El Chalupacabra

Though reboots, remakes, resurgences, and revivals are about as old as the movie industry itself, it seems that we have seen a lot of remakes or revivals of movies or series in the last 2 decades, especially. Almost too many to list, but among them are Star Wars, Star Trek (both movie and tv), BSG, Xfiles, The Thing, West World, Godzilla, Blade Runner, Alien, , etc.

Anyway, it seems this trend usually involves remaking a successful property, and sometimes said remake is as good or better (IE West World, BSG), but more often than not, worse (Star Trek Discovery, Karate Kid, Red Dawn, Twin Peaks). Either way, it is rare that a remake is justified, and usually it seems that the studio that owns the rights to said intellectual property is rebooting in order to a) milk as much money from the IP as possible, and/or b) use it or lose it clauses where the property would revert back to its original owner if it isn't rebooted. That may be overly simplistic, and is painting with a broad brush like using a roller brush for a painting, but I think for purposes of this discussion, that is close enough.

I have often felt that there are a lot of movies or TV shows that were not so successful, yet had good concepts but were just executed poorly, or were decent enough in their day but aged poorly (BSG), or otherwise just were obscure (achieved cult status at best), but had some really interesting concepts. Sometimes, there are cases where old TV series, successful or not, could be remade as a movie (IE Untouchables), or a movie could be expanded as a series (IE West World).

So, I would like to open this discussion up and ask what ideas you have for either a series or movie that you think should be rebooted, and how you would like it to be done. I will begin with a few ideas I have:

Phantasm

If you are not familiar with this, basically you have some pretty cool concepts: unlikely heroes like an ex-ice cream vendor who drives a hemicuda, a creepy undertaker from another dimension who is building an army of the undead to take over the world, and especially chrome spheres of gory death. There have been 4 movies, since the first one in 1979 with almost a decade in between each sequel. This is a franchise that is definitely a cult classic that has a small following. I am a fan of the first 2 movies especially, with the other three having some good scenes but overall pretty terrible. What I like about the first two (Phantasm 1 especially), is that very late 70s feel, that I have a nostalgia for. I think this franchise could be rebooted into a great series on HBO or AMC. After seeing a couple episodes of Stranger Things, it occurred to me that Phantasm could be done in a way that is a call back to that late 70s/early 80s vibe, as well as have a story arc that spans an entire season, beginning with a mystery that the teen characters and Reggie begin to solve, much in the way Stranger Things does.

Logan's Run

Another product of the 1970s, that saw both a movie and short lived TV show. Arguably, I think this film was as much an influence on the original Blade Runner, as Electric Sheep was. The basic premise of the film (and series) is in a distant, dystopian future, humanity lives in dome cities where resources are scarce. By age 30, people are required to commit ritualistic suicide, called Carousel. However, those who do not commit suicide in the "Carousel" and leave the dome city are called runners. To dispatch these runners, Sandmen are sent after them to execute these runners. The titular Sandman character, Logan, is about to turn 30 himself, and is sent after a young woman who is on the run, and whom convinces Logan to join her on her quest to escape death, and the dome city. The closes we have seen to a remake ( rip off is more like it) is Michael Bay's 2005 film, The Island, which was pretty terrible. I think the basic premise of this franchise could work as a series, again by HBO or AMC.

2001: A Space Odyssey

There is no denying that this film is one of the most influential films in both sci fi and film history in general. However, it is very slow and plodding in some parts. I think that such a movie could be remade into a series, and updated with better pacing. Season one could draw on the entire movie as inspiration and loose adaptationfor the overall arc of season 1, with new elements added, namely depicting HAL slowly going "insane," if that is the right word. Season 2's arc could loosely adapt 2010. This would especially work if HBO did it, in the same way they did Westworld.

So, what do you think of these ideas? Would they work, or not so much? What are your ideas for a reboot or revival?

My Science Project

Grungy Teacher inspires Genius Teen. Genius Teen and friends investigate an urban legend regarding aliens and time travel, Genius Teen pieces the treasure map puzzle together and a crash site is found. Genius Teen is galacticly stupid, activates a device and realities start to merge. Adventure ensues, events based around parallel timeline theories. Plot is satirical in nature.

There is no denying that this film is one of the most influential films in both sci fi and film history in general. However, it is very slow and plodding in some parts. I think that such a movie could be remade into a series, and updated with better pacing. Season one could draw on the entire movie as inspiration and loose adaptationfor the overall arc of season 1, with new elements added, namely depicting HAL slowly going "insane," if that is the right word. Season 2's arc could loosely adapt 2010. This would especially work if HBO did it, in the same way they did Westworld.

I love this idea. I know people are afraid to touch Kubrick. Tom Hanks was going to adapt the other two books in the series, but it never came together. SyFy was also going to do a miniseries based on just 3001, but it never came to be. Doing what you suggest is a great idea. If they make Heywood Floyd one of the leads they could go up through the story of 2010 as well.

Phantasm had a movie recently...

Remakes I'd love to do-- The Wraith, Blue Thunder, Big Trouble in Little China, Last Starfighter-- lots of 80s gems that could be really cool if done smartly. TV wise, I think Buckaroo Banzai would be an awesome TV show. I'd also love to adapt Star Blazers / Yamato as a TV series.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I love this idea. I know people are afraid to touch Kubrick. Tom Hanks was going to adapt the other two books in the series, but it never came together. SyFy was also going to do a miniseries based on just 3001, but it never came to be. Doing what you suggest is a great idea. If they make Heywood Floyd one of the leads they could go up through the story of 2010 as well.

Kubrick was a genius film maker but 2001 was not his to begin with. Rather, it was Arthur C Clark's concept, which Kubrick expanded upon, so I would love to see a remake.

Phantasm had a movie recently...

Remakes I'd love to do-- The Wraith, Blue Thunder, Big Trouble in Little China, Last Starfighter-- lots of 80s gems that could be really cool if done smartly. TV wise, I think Buckaroo Banzai would be an awesome TV show. I'd also love to adapt Star Blazers / Yamato as a TV series.

I think you may be referring to Phantasm Ravager, the final film before Angus Scrimn died. But, that was a pretty terrible movie.

The Wraith would probably in my mind be the best movie on your list to redo as a movie of the lot. A so-so movie and ideal for what I was originally saying: I like it myself, but it is more a cult following movie with great ideas and maybe an average execution, and is perfect for a remake done right.

I love Blue Thunder, but in a world where you have Apache attack copters and drones easily flown that do all what Blue Thunder was supposed to do in the early 1980s, in order to have a plot, and a Blue Thunder, that would hold people's attention, such a remake would devolve quickly (out of necessity) to a chopper that can do all kinds of fantastical, over the top sci fi stuff, which would be too radically different from the original Blue Thunder.

I would LOVE to see a Buckaroo Banzai TV series! Not sure who would be a good replacement for Peter Weller, though.

Starblazers/Yamato: what happened to the upcoming live action movie? But yes, a new TV show is in order.

I know a lot of people would love to see a remake of The Last Star Fighter, and as a kid I loved the original. But I am not sure how that would work, outside being a period piece. To me, there is something magical about Alex spending hours and hours each day playing an arcade game in a trailer park. Today, every kid and many adults have some sort of console at home, along with tablets and PCs. In 1984, consoles were around, but not as ubiquitous (and had far inferior graphics compared to arcade games), so kids still went to arcades quite a bit. Now, except for arcades being intentionally retro like Dave and Busters, or Chuck E Cheese, do many people really frequent arcade games anymore? I know that is a small detail that could be worked out, but to me, and important one to overcome.

Big Trouble in Little China....I would love to see a revival more than a remake. Kurt Russell should be in it, or don't do it at all. Chris Pratt might be a good choice for a successor character to step in as the "new" Jack Burton.

The Wraith could basically be The Crow meets Fast and Furious.

My Blue Thunder would touch more on armed drones being set loose over an American city.

Last Starfighter would be updated to be about an MMO thats actualy a remote piloting system, a little Enders Game like. But it goes down and they need to gather the pilots up for real.

For the most part, you are going to see a Last Starfighter remake out of Ernest Cline's Armada. I hope that the film adaptation is better than the novel

Willow Returns

Elora Danan is in her early fifties, Willow is Nelwyns ancient sage. In Eloras twenties she laid the ground work for uniting various kingdoms into a republic. In Eloras thirties a Democratic Camelot was founded. The story opens after two decades of prosperity when a conspiracy involving shape shifting magic users has birthed rampant suspicion and started to destabilize the country. In some locales magic users are being rounded up and killed by lynch mobs. In other locales suspicions and violence are causing people to flee into safer areas only for people in those locales to turn their backs on them. A valiant female cleric has uncovered the identities of the villainous magic users* and is on her way to give all this scrolled information to Elora, but its a trap, Elora isnt Elora. The scroll ends up in Willows possession and the adventure is on.

*Afterthought: Depending on Kilmers health, ability to take the part, a badass death awaits his now epically old, grey haired and crazy bearded Madmartigan in this opening sequence. He became a great spymaster, using his disreputable background and connections to establish a wide network. He defends the clerics escape from their headquarters, first with a bow and arrow (multiple kills) and then finally he takes up a sword with that Madmartigan swirl of a blade (a few kills) before succumbing. Maybe the cleric is his great-granddaughter... I dunno. Spitballing here.

I'd bring back:

Unsolved Mysteries

The Life & Times of Tim

Daria

Goosebumps

Harold & Kumar

Kill Bill

I'd remake/reboot:

Spartacus

The Addams Family

The Exorcist

Child's Play

Carrie

Johnny Stecchino

Garfield & Friends

3rd Rock from the Sun

Let's Be Cops

I'd Spin-off:

The Sopranos

I would come back and edit this cause I can't think of anything else right now.

Star Trek: The Animated Anthology

Half-hour episodes, no constraint to an era or version. The series being animated means that actors could reprise their roles regardless of age, ala Adam West & Burt Ward returning as Batman & Robin 66. And or even creative reuse of dialogue recorded for films or episodes could happen, ala DS9s Tribbles homage.

Maybe a TOS era episode could involve time travel, taking place during the Search for Spock. This means Spock is on Genesis not in the story, McCoy is incapacitated due to the meld and Scotty is on the Excelsior. The future-time elements are from that distant Timefleet-Starfleet which was teased in Voyager and then Enterprise. Perhaps the technobabble hook is transwarp technology, given it appears in this film and never again maybe its future tech. lol Oh! Maybe the time-agent is the guy that Uhura has eating out of her hand. Maybe the time agent could be used as a comment satirizing celebrity, dealing with being star struck.

Keyword to remember: ANTHOLOGY.

The episodes can be anything from a simple comedic episode of Simon Peggs Scotty going on Shore Leave, maybe the Drug Trip-Like Adventure of the Traveler traveling with Wesley Crusher, or perhaps The Emissary Returns etc. etc.

Bring in a bunch of creatives and just play around.

Guest El Chalupacabra

More ideas I have...

Buck Rogers: but done in a similar way to Orville, and what the 1979 tried to do but failed; part drama, part space opera, part parody, with a good measure of social commentary thrown in. Would work best on a network TV time slot, maybe as a companion to Orville (and done by Seth MacFarlane or someone with a similar style). Almost like a live action Futurama.

Flash Gordon: I am vaguely aware sci fi had/has/proposed an update to this, but never seen it and don't have time to research it much just now. But, I would love to see an update to this, but done more in the vain of Star Wars as far as epic-ness, deal with moral dilemmas and adult themes like the BSG remake, but also have a serial feel, maybe even have cliff hanger episode endings like the old serials. I think this would work better as a series done by AMC, Showtime, or HBO.

Forbidden Planet or spin off series set in the same universe: Since I have thoroughly given up on both Paramount and CBS to do Star Trek right, I say revive one of Star Trek's heaviest influences: Forbidden Planet. I'd like to see a remake of Forbidden Planet modernized and with a realistic feel, but take heavy styling queues from 1950s sci fi (I love old 30s-50s sci fi rockets, etc). Perhaps the first episode could be Forbidden Planet proper, and the series follows continuing adventures of the crew

My first girlfriend starred in her high school's Return to the Forbdden Planet. It was really bad, but she was super hot, so I saw it all three nights.

That's the only connection I can make to Forbidden Planet, but if they could get that girl to star in it, teenage me would watch it.

I'd love to see modern remakes of Zulu, Waterloo and, slightly off-topic, a movie about the Battle of Hastings (don't think one has ever been made on the battle, at least not a mainstream movie).

On that vein, i'd also like to see a remake of Sharpe. The series hasn't aged that well, and I can't help but feel that with a proper budget and modern effects, we could actually see the kind of carnage you'd expect from battles like Badajoz, Salamanca and chasing the French out of Spain.

Back to the Future

I'm a big fan of the trilogy, but now there are certain aspects of it that I see as in need of fixing, such as how the time-travel rules were never consistent. In the first one we are led to believe that Marty's very existence is threatened by affecting the past and preventing his conception. We literally see him getting erased from existence. Whereas in the second one we are told that changing past events will create an alternate timeline that exists apart from the one you came from. Also, we see Biff deliver the almanaic to his 1955 self and return to the same 2015 that he came from. That 2015 should have no longer been assessible to him. Upon returning to the future, he should have found himself in the timeline that Doc and Marty found themselves in upon returning to 1985. Biff should have returned to 2015 to find the he owned the city and was a billionair. I've been told I worry too much over details but these things really bug me. Also, I would like a reboot that somehow avoids the pitfalls of it becoming outdated, as has happened to the original films and the original Lost in Space, which took place in 1998! Maybe the story could exclude travel to the future altogether. Or if travel to the future does occur, maybe they can keep information about that time period to a minimum, only revealing what is necessary to move the story forward. That way, the movie doesn't set itself up for failed predictions.

My wife and I had a dumb idea for years for a movie remake of Smokey and the Bandit with Matthew Mcconaughey, Reece Witherspoon, and John Goodman in the main roles. I think the time for those kind of movie remakes has passed and all three of those actors are too big for that kind of thing now.

It might could still work as a fun half hour network TV show now. If they did Rush Hour and Lethal Weapon, might as well give it a shot too.

Back to the Future

I'm a big fan of the trilogy, but now there are certain aspects of it that I see as in need of fixing, such as how the time-travel rules were never consistent. In the first one we are led to believe that Marty's very existence is threatened by affecting the past and preventing his conception. We literally see him getting erased from existence. Whereas in the second one we are told that changing past events will create an alternate timeline that exists apart from the one you came from. Also, we see Biff deliver the almanaic to his 1955 self and return to the same 2015 that he came from. That 2015 should have no longer been assessible to him. Upon returning to the future, he should have found himself in the timeline that Doc and Marty found themselves in upon returning to 1985. Biff should have returned to 2015 to find the he owned the city and was a billionair. I've been told I worry too much over details but these things really bug me. Also, I would like a reboot that somehow avoids the pitfalls of it becoming outdated, as has happened to the original films and the original Lost in Space, which took place in 1998! Maybe the story could exclude travel to the future altogether. Or if travel to the future does occur, maybe they can keep information about that time period to a minimum, only revealing what is necessary to move the story forward. That way, the movie doesn't set itself up for failed predictions.

Zemeckis, Spielberg, and Gale actually own the lions share of the IP, not Universal. Kind of like Star Wars the studio was so sure of its failure they let them trade budget for useless ownership.

They all say theyll never remake it or do any sequels. Even though I am okay with the rare decent remake, this one is such a product of its time I like it being left alone.

My wife and I had a dumb idea for years for a movie remake of Smokey and the Bandit with Matthew Mcconaughey, Reece Witherspoon, and John Goodman in the main roles. I think the time for those kind of movie remakes has passed and all three of those actors are too big for that kind of thing now.

It might could still work as a fun half hour network TV show now. If they did Rush Hour and Lethal Weapon, might as well give it a shot too.

As you saw on Twitter, I wanted John Goodman as Smokey and Pedro Pascal for the Bandit. Person liked the tweet.

So its official, obviously.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I think that could have worked in the late 1990s/early 2000s, though it doesn't quite meet my personal criteria of not remaking an already successful franchise (this one had 3 movies), but the only of the original version that is remotely watchable is part 1. Parts 2 & 3 should never have been made.

Cannonball Run

On a similar note to that, if you do a remake of Smokey and the Bandit, you are obligated to do a Cannonball Run remake, too. Not to sure on who all could be cast, but they could get Pierce Brosnan as the Roger Moore role, and Sinbad is one of those not-too-funny comedians in the same way Dom Delouise was never that funny, who would be just not funny enough to be Captain Chaos. I just don't want to see Dwayne "Teh Rock!!" Johnson anywhere near this remake (which means if they ever did remake Cannonball Run, he'd likely be the first pick). He has a bad habit of starring in movies that piss all over my childhood and early adulthood these days.

Time Rider

Another "not-good" movie that had a pretty cool premise, even if cheesey, is Time Rider. Basically, the plot involves a motor cross semi pro biker, while taking a short cut through the desert to win a race, inadvertently stumbles on a time travel experiment, and is sent back to the 1880s Old West. The movie sags, but the premise was kind of cool, and for some reason I have nostalgia for it (probably all those Saturday mornings and early afternoons watching it after kung fu theatre, on HBO in the 1980s). Probably works best as a popcorn flick, or made for tv movie on syfy channel or something.

Werewolf (TV Series)

Remember all the "edgy" shows from fox in the mid-late 1980s? This one was one of the first. More or less the Incredible Hulk, minus the exceptional acting Bill Bixby provided, the series is about a guy who is bit by a werewolf (played by Chuck "the Rifleman" Conners) in the pilot. In this mythos, if the werewolf who bit you is killed, your lycanthropy is cured. So, the main character drifts from town to town, searching for the Chuck Conners (who only appears one other time, and is then killed off), and hi-jinks ensue. The show lasted 1 season, and when Conners was killed off, they retconned it to him not being the "original werewolf," sot the hero had to keep searching for the wolf who bit Chuck Conners. I think with good writing, and done with a modern take, this could be made into something pretty decent. Probably best done by AMC, or maybe FX (more likely, actually).

Back to the Future

I'm kind of with Tank on this one, in that I don't think a remake is warranted, but I wouldn't mind a Directors cut-style re-edit to address some of those points (if done well, and where feasible). I also wouldn't mind a sequel or spiritual successor.

Guest El Chalupacabra

If you have ever re-watched War of the Worlds (season 1, not 2. Even then we knew season 2 sucked ass), or to a lesser extent Friday the 13th the series, 20+ years after the fact. They don't hold up too well. I haven't seen Werewolf since it was on the air (wish I had snapped up the dvd set when I saw it back in 2010ish). I suspect Werewolf might hold up a little better, aside from special FX. And acting methodology of the 1980s. But you are probably right that it is best left unwatched, so as not to spoil it.

On that topic, Friday the 13th the series was pretty good (back then), and could make a good remake as an anthology series. Just would have to be called something else, though. I remember seeing it at first, and remember being pissed that it had nothing to do with Jason. But after a couple episodes, I got into it. And the redhead girl, Roby, was enough to keep me watching, anyway.

SeaQuest

I loved the whole concept of the show. Its the future, and we've colonized the oceans. It was like an underwater Star Trek. But it was executed very poorly. The first season was the only watchable season. It quickly went downhill after that. The second and third seasons strayed too far from the original premise of the show, namely sea exploration, which meant that any sci-fi stories were best done in that context. So mermaids, sea monsters, Atlantis, Posidon, etc, were all acceptable. But the writers wanted to throw in every sci-fi element into the show they could think of. Next thing you know, the crew is constantly having run-ins with aliens and traveling to other planets! Then they started churning out episodes where the crew never once stepped foot on the submarine because they were too busy hunting down aliens or whatever. The show at some point lost its identity. You literally never knew what you were going to get from one week to the next. It was just all over the place.

It would like to see a reboot that sticks to its roots. Also, instead of taking place in the near future, as the original did, I would like the reboot to be set in the far future. The original show was set in an era where humans were just beginning to colonize the oceans. So what you had on the show were small colonies here and there, akin to small towns or villages. I say do a show set in the distant future where you have entire underwater cities, huge submarine terminals that play a similar role to airports, and wars between underwater nations over unclaimed "land." Just go all out.

SeaQuest

I loved the whole concept of the show. Its the future, and we've colonized the oceans. It was like an underwater Star Trek. But it was executed very poorly. The first season was the only watchable season. It quickly went downhill after that. The second and third seasons strayed too far from the original premise of the show, namely sea exploration, which meant that any sci-fi stories were best done in that context. So mermaids, sea monsters, Atlantis, Posidon, etc, were all acceptable. But the writers wanted to throw in every sci-fi element into the show they could think of. Next thing you know, the crew is constantly having run-ins with aliens and traveling to other planets! Then they started churning out episodes where the crew never once stepped foot on the submarine because they were too busy hunting down aliens or whatever. The show at some point lost its identity. You literally never knew what you were going to get from one week to the next. It was just all over the place.

It would like to see a reboot that sticks to its roots. Also, instead of taking place in the near future, as the original did, I would like the reboot to be set in the far future. The original show was set in an era where humans were just beginning to colonize the oceans. So what you had on the show were small colonies here and there, akin to small towns or villages. I say do a show set in the distant future where you have entire underwater cities, huge submarine terminals that play a similar role to airports, and wars between underwater nations over unclaimed "land." Just go all out.

It would be really cool if it was far future, an above the water the world had ended. War, environmental disaster, something that makes it all end of the world on land, but humanity resettled under the sea.

If you have ever re-watched War of the Worlds (season 1, not 2. Even then we knew season 2 sucked ass), or to a lesser extent Friday the 13th the series, 20+ years after the fact. They don't hold up too well. I haven't seen Werewolf since it was on the air (wish I had snapped up the dvd set when I saw it back in 2010ish). I suspect Werewolf might hold up a little better, aside from special FX. And acting methodology of the 1980s. But you are probably right that it is best left unwatched, so as not to spoil it.

On that topic, Friday the 13th the series was pretty good (back then), and could make a good remake as an anthology series. Just would have to be called something else, though. I remember seeing it at first, and remember being pissed that it had nothing to do with Jason. But after a couple episodes, I got into it. And the redhead girl, Roby, was enough to keep me watching, anyway.

Warehouse 13 was basically the exact same format, only set in the warehouse you see at the end of Raiders and scifi focused instead of horror.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'd like a remake of Chips.

As long as it's not a remake of the remake of Chips. I'm surprised the Rock wasn't in that one, actually.

Warehouse 13 was basically the exact same format, only set in the warehouse you see at the end of Raiders and scifi focused instead of horror.

I only caught a few episodes, but that never occurred to me. Now that you mention it, I can see that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.