Sexual Harassment

Ms. Spam

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'm giving Moore 90/10. I'll be surprised if he loses, but it isn't impossible.

That's actually pretty generous. If trolling for 14 year old girls doesn't dissuade people in Alabama from voting for him, I don't know how he could possibly lose. It definitely is all about party ID there. I hate saying it, but probably about race, too. I would like to say that Southern states sometimes get unfairly saddled with racial accustions, and I hate painting an entire state as racist (I live in AZ, and because of a few bad state legislators and older voters, we get labeled as an anti immigration state all the time when it isn't really that widespread, IMHO). But in this case, I have to conclude Roy Moore is being propped up on nothing but fear and people afraid of voting for anyone other than white and republican.

You think that's bad? Try any teen comedy from the 80s.

Breakfast Club and Revenge of the Nerds are actually pretty problematic.

Or Porky's for that matter!

If Moore wins we havent moved beyond the fifties. Political machinery aside, we have learned nothing and this is just lip service. But people are human and we still do terrible things. Look at that kid who was crying on the internet about being bullied and all these stars came out supporting him and offering things like going out on a date or hanging out and now it looks like the kid is being bullied at school because he is racist.

It's a reflection on how what's considered "problematic" changes over time. Thirty years from now, people may well look back on this era the way we looked back on Victorian era fainting couches and referral to furniture 'limbs' instead of 'legs' to avoid any potential sexual connotation. Cyclical phases of libertinism and moralism are nothing new. Already there are a few - scattered to be sure, but a few wondering if things haven't gone too far.

I blame this whole movement for messing with my movie watching. Since I'm in marathon mode I just watched ROTJ. When Leia is shot at the bunker Han cops a feel when he goes to help her. Probably had something to do with their little affair whatever. And Jabba, Oh Jabba. Not only does he sexually harass Leia, he makes her wear a skimpy out fit after he enslave her. Yeah, I'm so over this stuff that I'm making Star Wars jokes about it.

I worked with a dude who used to pick up chicks at Church. He figured pity sex as he was a slouchy blind guy was good in churches. Turned out he was right. He'd just sit next to a chick who looked single and say "hey, I'm ugly and blind and do you want to go out with me?" and it worked. He'd grope them while they kneeled during vespers. It was a turn on.

That's actually pretty generous. If trolling for 14 year old girls doesn't dissuade people in Alabama from voting for him, I don't know how he could possibly lose. It definitely is all about party ID there. I hate saying it, but probably about race, too. I would like to say that Southern states sometimes get unfairly saddled with racial accustions, and I hate painting an entire state as racist (I live in AZ, and because of a few bad state legislators and older voters, we get labeled as an anti immigration state all the time when it isn't really that widespread, IMHO). But in this case, I have to conclude Roy Moore is being propped up on nothing but fear and people afraid of voting for anyone other than white and republican.

His lead has been within the margin of error in the polls, so there are enough people who are considering not voting to make it possible that he'll lose.

Guest El Chalupacabra

His lead has been within the margin of error in the polls, so there are enough people who are considering not voting to make it possible that he'll lose.

Looks like I had it wrong. And actually I am glad I was. Not that I care what Alabama does politically, but that it looks like I was overly pessimistic when I shouldn't have been.

It's a reflection on how what's considered "problematic" changes over time. Thirty years from now, people may well look back on this era the way we looked back on Victorian era fainting couches and referral to furniture 'limbs' instead of 'legs' to avoid any potential sexual connotation. Cyclical phases of libertinism and moralism are nothing new. Already there are a few - scattered to be sure, but a few wondering if things haven't gone too far.

Perhaps.

But I’m pretty sure that calling a scene where a dude wears a mask to trick a girl into sleeping with him by pretending to be somebody else and then she is instantly in love with him is okay to call problematic.

Looks like I had it wrong. And actually I am glad I was. Not that I care what Alabama does politically, but that it looks like I was overly pessimistic when I shouldn't have been.

Alabama was a huge win nationally. It should have been impossible, and it would've been impossible had Strange won the nomination, but the Republican voters wanted to go with Moore, and it cost them. Potentially big, especially with the already tight margins.

Perhaps.

But I’m pretty sure that calling a scene where a dude wears a mask to trick a girl into sleeping with him by pretending to be somebody else and then she is instantly in love with him is okay to call problematic.

It's pretty much fact that touching a penis makes you fall in love. That's why I always wear gloves when I go to the bathroom, so I don't fall in love with myself.

If the Republicans had any testicles they would have squashed this from the beginning. Come out against Moore and hold that stance. Don't flip because if he wins the seat you can oust him for someone you really want. Now you're breathing a sigh of relief, but with one less seat in the Senate. Bring on getting it back in to years is paying Russian roulette. If you steered clear of Moore before you look good because you look like you actually have morals. Now you just look opportunistic.(even more than the Democrats)

I find it funny that outlets try to spin this election as "A Rejection of Trump!" Maybe it's a rejection of a pedophile? Maybe Jones is breathing a sigh of relief that he barely beat said pedophile? Maybe Trump backed one of the candidates who should have won the primary first? Maybe be honest and say that Trump shouldn't listen to Steve Bannon anymore? As someone who watches the news everyday I can't help but laugh. I mean it'll never be brought up how many House and Senate seats Obama lost while in office.

Meanwhile Tillerson looks like he maybe on the outs with Trump. I think he's the most public employee of the administration that openly admits there is something to the Russian election meddling. I would be sad to see this happen. All the others can come and go but Tillerson was trying and doing something within the framework he was given.

Not sure how much there is truth to the rumor that Mueller may also be fired.

To Met's last post, I think I've read somewhere about how many seats were lost during Obama's time in office. I think it was way more than at this moment in Trump's administration. And by extension you can look at states that went red last year in the presidential election for failures in the states that normally go blue. I do believe 2018 will be much more interesting. It's not the smaller percentage point Jones won by it's more about the fact that 9 months ago Jones was just a guy for Democrats to prop up against a guy who had a clear path to winning in a red state that's sent GOP candidates to DC for decades. Also 98% of the black women voters voted for Jones. That's huge. Can you imagine if there wasn't voter repression happening in Alabama?

I wouldn't argue with that. But who's to say how people will think in the future?

The percentage of voter fraud is actually very small in the US. It's not like we're a third world country. Alabama has some of the strictest voter ID laws. The requirements to get said ID makes it harder for people to jump through to get a valid ID to vote. Shrug, bitch about the left and stuff but until you have actually dealt with getting ID it is painstakingly hard for poor people never mind middle class people.

A voter can use any of the following forms of photo ID at the polls starting June 3, 2014:

Valid Driver's License

Valid Non-driver ID

Valid Alabama Photo Voter ID

Valid State Issued ID (Alabama or any other state)

Valid Federal Issued ID

Valid US Passport

Valid Employee ID from Federal Government, State of Alabama, County Government, Municipality, Board, Authority, or other entity of this state

Valid student or employee ID from a college or university in the State of Alabama (including postgraduate technical or professional schools)

Valid Military ID

Valid Tribal ID

That's from Alabama.gov.

By law you're required to have photo ID. So that's one form of ID everyone older than 18 should have. Hell in Alabama you can vote it you're a convicted felon. The only hurdle would be actually registering to vote. In high school they had us fill out voter registration forms when we were seniors. This notion that they make it hard for poor people and minorities to vote is wrong.

What do you need to provide to get a ID? Wait for it..... a birth certificate or something with your legal name listed on it. Have you ever lost a birth certificate or other form that has your legal name on it and tried to pay to replace it? The South is poor and in many areas they don't have access to the internet and some are not even birthed in hospitals but with a midwife back in the day which was just a few short decades ago. Thanks to those pesky civil rights movement people coming to help get people registered to vote many counties have enacted stronger laws for requirements to help make a sort of preventative measure of keeping these do-gooders from doing helpful things. Alabama is an amazing state. It's why they still write checks and have their jobs listed on the checks to get discounts at the "company store".

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.