Sexual Harassment

Ms. Spam

I grew up poor. I have my original birth certificate and social security card. When my mother passed a couple of year ago, I found that she kept all of my original birth information from the hospital. Yep even my baby hand and footprints. Not having that information and not getting new ones isn't a symptom of being poor. Are you telling me that your don't need photo ID to apply for government assistance?

What you're talking about is not oppression. By your own logic the people your taking about couldn't rent an apartment, could have utilities, couldn't have a car. If they don't have all that then they probably aren't worried about voting in the first place.

Have you ever lost a birth certificate or other form that has your legal name on it and tried to pay to replace it?

Yeah. Wasn't that difficult.

Look, voting shouldn't be based on the honor system. I get that it's sometimes more of a pain in the butt for some people. However, you still need to prove you are who you are in order to vote. Not because of evil, but because you can't leave such a gaping hole in our democracy. The inability to find voter fraud just speaks to how easy it is to get away with already, not that it doesn't happen. People will cheat. We can be assured that it's happening because it would be a baffling exception to basic human behavior if it weren't happening.

The Democrat response isn't really about voter disenfranchisement. It's to continue to rile up the black community and to allow the voter fraud to continue because they know that it benefits them.

What do you need to provide to get a ID? Wait for it..... a birth certificate or something with your legal name listed on it. Have you ever lost a birth certificate or other form that has your legal name on it and tried to pay to replace it? The South is poor and in many areas they don't have access to the internet and some are not even birthed in hospitals but with a midwife back in the day which was just a few short decades ago. Thanks to those pesky civil rights movement people coming to help get people registered to vote many counties have enacted stronger laws for requirements to help make a sort of preventative measure of keeping these do-gooders from doing helpful things. Alabama is an amazing state. It's why they still write checks and have their jobs listed on the checks to get discounts at the "company store".

I have to say I laughed so hard reading this. This is the biggest piece of **** I think you've ever written. Bless your heart.

Look at that kid who was crying on the internet about being bullied and all these stars came out supporting him and offering things like going out on a date or hanging out and now it looks like the kid is being bullied at school because he is racist.

Near as I can tell, that's a story that was pretty much made up on the internet and grew into a "fact".

Anyway, the whole viral jackpot gives me a headache.

I grew up poor. I have my original birth certificate and social security card. When my mother passed a couple of year ago, I found that she kept all of my original birth information from the hospital. Yep even my baby hand and footprints. Not having that information and not getting new ones isn't a symptom of being poor. Are you telling me that your don't need photo ID to apply for government assistance?

What you're talking about is not oppression. By your own logic the people your taking about couldn't rent an apartment, could have utilities, couldn't have a car. If they don't have all that then they probably aren't worried about voting in the first place.

Photo IDs are the easiest way to prove identity, and if you have one, then it's probably the only way that you ever think about proving your identity. But for most governmental interactions, and even for most private banking and property transactions, photo IDs are not required. You don't have to have a photo ID to apply for government assistance, although you do have to prove your identity. The uniform notary act doesn't require a photo ID to take an oath or have your signature acknowledged before a notary (although a photo ID is strongly preferred). Banks are required by federal law to establish your identity when you open a bank account, and they also prefer photo IDs, but if you don't have one, then they can accept two non-photo IDs such as your social security card, birth certificate, health insurance card, property tax or utility bill, recent W-2, tax returns, or bank statements from another bank.

All that said - I agree with Poe - voting shouldn't be based on the honor system. I just don't know if requiring the extra hoop-jumping of getting a photo ID is worth the additional fraud, if any, that it prevents. In most other identity-proving situations the threshold appears to be, rightly, whether you can prove your identity, and not whether you can check the "I have this specific document" box. Some of the Voter ID statutes are more of a check-the-box threshold -- meaning, if somebody can't check a box saying that you have a specific photo ID on your person when you arrive, then you're not allowed to vote, even if every official at the polling location knows you personally on a first name basis.

But I disagree that the Democratic response is solely about riling up the black community. I think that there's fear, legitimate or not, that the voter ID laws disproportionately affect Democratic-leaning voters. There's undoubtedly some joy on the Republican side over that same issue, although casting the entire debate through the lens of that dynamic is foolish.

The idea that lack of proof of a crime is proof of a crime still makes my head spin.

But, it works. Nobody has proven that Poe hasn't killed a man, which just proves how good a job he's done of hiding it.

Photo IDs are the easiest way to prove identity, and if you have one, then it's probably the only way that you ever think about proving your identity. But for most governmental interactions, and even for most private banking and property transactions, photo IDs are not required. You don't have to have a photo ID to apply for government assistance, although you do have to prove your identity. The uniform notary act doesn't require a photo ID to take an oath or have your signature acknowledged before a notary (although a photo ID is strongly preferred). Banks are required by federal law to establish your identity when you open a bank account, and they also prefer photo IDs, but if you don't have one, then they can accept two non-photo IDs such as your social security card, birth certificate, health insurance card, property tax or utility bill, recent W-2, tax returns, or bank statements from another bank.

Thanks for that info. I didn't know some of that. With information still needed to apply for such programs you can apply for an ID though. Being a citizen involves responsibilities. If you can't be bothered to obtain the info needed to vote, you probably couldn't be bothered to vote.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.