Return of the Rian

The Choc

I guess we know now why they picked JJ rather than Rian for Episode IX:

http://www.starwars.com/news/rian-johnson-writer-director-of-star-wars-the-last-jedi-to-create-all-new-star-wars-trilogy?cmp=smc%7C1147744441

I'm guessing this was already in the works at least somewhat when the JJ decision was made. What else is tells me is that Lucasfilm is very very happy with The Last Jedi.

At least Lucasfilm/Disney think that. Doesn't mean they are right. But lets face facts this is like a 750 million dollar commitment when you factor in budget and marketing. Gotta be pretty confident in a guy. It would have been pretty easy to wait a few months to see how The Last Jedi does and is received. Must be incredibly confident to make the announcement now.

I like a few things about this too.

1-I like that its a trilogy. I love the Star Wars movies but I also love the speculation between them. Figuring out what will happen next. Rogue One is great but when it's over, its over. Another trilogy leads to more talk between movies.

2-Kennedy also recently said they planned to continue the main Skywalker story after Episode IX. Now this doesn't have to be the case but I'm hoping that through the early 20's the movies are standlone, Johnson trilogy, standalone, Johnson trilogy etc. I didn't like the idea of "Episode X" coming out too soon after IX. I think they need to stay generational. Now they don't need to wait 20 years between trilogies in real time, but waiting 6-8 years gives the actors enough time to age and also means that story gets a slight break.

I like a few things about this too.

1-I like that its a trilogy. I love the Star Wars movies but I also love the speculation between them. Figuring out what will happen next. Rogue One is great but when it's over, its over. Another trilogy leads to more talk between movies.

2-Kennedy also recently said they planned to continue the main Skywalker story after Episode IX. Now this doesn't have to be the case but I'm hoping that through the early 20's the movies are standlone, Johnson trilogy, standalone, Johnson trilogy etc. I didn't like the idea of "Episode X" coming out too soon after IX. I think they need to stay generational. Now they don't need to wait 20 years between trilogies in real time, but waiting 6-8 years gives the actors enough time to age and also means that story gets a slight break.

I don't think giving Star Wars a "break" is a feasible financial plan. It's a popular franchise now, and has been for a while, but there's a reason it was given a break between 1983 and 1991, and it wasn't because they were giving the actors time to age. It just wasn't making money like it used to. So I don't think we can expect a break between Ep IX and Ep. X longer than 3 years, if that. If anything, they'll likely head towards releasing 2-3 movies annually.

I don't see them releasing 3 movies in a year. Two I could see, although not on a regular basis. There are only certain times of the year you would ever release a blockbuster like Star Wars. The holiday corridor, basically now through XMas, and the summer. You wouldn't release 2 Star Wars movie in the same season and you'd basically have to in order to release 3 in the same year.

As for Episode X, we just don't know the plan. I think you are assuming that the Episodes will make more money than the non episodes. Which may be true. But my guess is that after Episode IX, hell maybe after VIII, none of the OT Big 3 will be around. And that's a huge head start removed from the Episodes. Even if this trilogy finishes awesome and people love it and want to see what happens next Rey, Finn, Poe and Kylo will not have that same built in excitement that Han, Luke and Leia do. If 8 and 9 are good then 10 would have a head start over a standalone or Johnson's trilogy but not a huge one. The movies would sink or swim much more on their own.

Well I mean I guess they could, but the OT Star Wars films are probably the most beloved films in the history of movies. Pretty hard for any characters from any movies to get to that level. The movies could all be great and everyone could love those characters, I actually think that will be the case, but it won't be the same as the OT characters. It's nearly impossible.

I'll argue anything that says these movies will be the past, especially the KOTOR stuff.

No way is Rian going to be hemmed in by anything already covered or "old." It's going to be new stuff altogether, which is great.

Given that KOTOR isn't canon, I don't see why going back 10,000 generations would be hemming him in. If Rian has an idea for something in the past, especially if it comes from something that came up while writing TLJ, they aren't going to say "No! We already had some old stuff about that timeframe!"

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.