If you could make your own Special Edition of the entire saga, what would you change

RamonAtila

I've seen Darth Vader fan costumes that looked better than Vader's in R1! And while they are at it, they need to digitally clean up JEJ's voice. It sounds feeble.

Ackbar not being there is a glaring omission. Especially when they went to the trouble of adding another Mon Calamari.

Until this moment, I thought I was the only one who hated JEJ in R1!! The line that stands out most for me is when he says "Diarector Krennic" (sic)

I hated Vader in it as a whole, but JEJ definitely can't do it anymore. Between Vader sounding like he somehow got 40 years younger between R1 and ANH and him somehow losing all of his super powers between R1 and ANH, they would've been way better off not including him.

I hated Vader in it as a whole, but JEJ definitely can't do it anymore. Between Vader sounding like he somehow got 40 years younger between R1 and ANH and him somehow losing all of his super powers between R1 and ANH, they would've been way better off not including him.

The problem when Disney makes the movies for fan service. You start inserting stuff just to make it look cool. If you watch the films in order having never seen any of them, ANH Vader looks really stupid now having just witnessed what he's capable of just a few minutes before.

Any time somebody throws Disney shade for doing something they think is wrong or stupid with Star Wars I just think of the PT and laugh.

Also, no one at Disney makes arbitrary decisions for random things to be added to Star Wars films.

The problem when Disney makes the movies for fan service. You start inserting stuff just to make it look cool. If you watch the films in order having never seen any of them, ANH Vader looks really stupid now having just witnessed what he's capable of just a few minutes before.

I mean, that's pretty much bound to happen any time you depict Vader. I love A New Hope with all my heart, but the way the films developed made it the oddball film, especially once the prequels came along. We see the downfall of the Republic, the Emperor coming to power, and Anakin's fall from grace as he assumes his role as Darth Vader, and then all of a sudden we have this film that takes place in some remote corner of the galaxy where Vader isn't even the main villain. No matter how you tackle it you are bound to run into that problem one way or another.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Any time somebody throws Disney shade for doing something they think is wrong or stupid with Star Wars I just think of the PT and laugh.

Also, no one at Disney makes arbitrary decisions for random things to be added to Star Wars films.

Sort of agree, but I don't hate the PT like you do. Other than the Han Solo movie, I think Disney has done a good job handling the movies. Even then, the Han Solo movie may yet end up being a decent, maybe even a surprisingly good movie. No matter what, it will make money. Probably a lot of it, too. Where I become critical is I feel that not many people asked for a Han Solo movie in the first place. But yeah, considering the fact Disney has handled both MCU and Lucasfilm pretty well, Star Wars is much better off than it was before Lucas sold it to Disney, and I am pleased with the outcome, overall.

Sort of agree, but I don't hate the PT like you do. Other than the Han Solo movie, I think Disney has done a good job handling the movies. Even then, the Han Solo movie may yet end up being a decent, maybe even a surprisingly good movie. No matter what, it will make money. Probably a lot of it, too. Where I become critical is I feel that not many people asked for a Han Solo movie in the first place. But yeah, considering the fact Disney has handled both MCU and Lucasfilm pretty well, Star Wars is much better off than it was before Lucas sold it to Disney, and I am pleased with the outcome, overall.

I agree, Star Wars is definitely in safer hands now than what it was.

Although, I have developed this sick kind of nostalgia for the PT where I think I actually like it, and think they can't be really that bad after all. Then I see something (a clip or an entire film) and that illusion is shattered. But I always slip back into PT nostalgia mode and want to watch them all again for some reason. Weird. There are some cool things about the PT.. But it's mostly confined to art direction, costumes etc really. The actual content leaves me dismayed.

What we have now, on the other hand, feels so much better.. It feels like it's being created by people wanting to make a quality entertainment product..that's you know...properly good...

I agree, Star Wars is definitely in safer hands now than what it was.

Although, I have developed this sick kind of nostalgia for the PT where I think I actually like it, and think they can't be really that bad after all. Then I see something (a clip or an entire film) and that illusion is shattered. But I always slip back into PT nostalgia mode and want to watch them all again for some reason. Weird. There are some cool things about the PT.. But it's mostly confined to art direction, costumes etc really. The actual content leaves me dismayed.

What we have now, on the other hand, feels so much better.. It feels like it's being created by people wanting to make a quality entertainment product..that's you know...properly good...

I usually have the opposite experience. I'm a PT fan overall but with all the negativity that surrounds them online I usually find myself dwelling on the negative. Then when I do watch them, as I did this week in anticipation of TLJ, I always enjoy them way more than I thought I would.

Guest El Chalupacabra

That just means your a movie snob, Tank. :p

But seriously, when I rewatch the PT (been a little while), this is usually how it goes:

TMP: I watch from the opening scene until just before Jar Jar makes his first appearance. Then I fast forward to Amidala's rescue and escape to Tatooine. I skip over the pod race, completely to the first Maul duel and let it play until Amidala goes back to Naboo. Then I skip through the whole Boss Nass and battle sequence, up to the second Maul duel, and let it play.

AOTC: I watch most of it, but completely skip over the Naboo scenes, the droid factory scene, and arena battle scene until the Jedi and clone army arrives. Then I just let it play until the end.

ROTS: I watch most of it, but skip through from the point Obi Wan and Anakin land aboard the Invisible Hand, up to the Dooku duel. Then I skip again to just after Anakin finishes crash landing the battle ship. Then I let it play the rest of the way through.

Compare that to how I watch the OT/ST/spinoff:

ANH: I watch the whole thing

TESB: I watch the whole thing

ROTJ: I watch up until the first Ewok appearance, and skip over all Ewok scenes, until the ending scene.

TFA: I watch most of it, skipping over the Rey alone on Jakku scenes* (boring!), until she finds BB8, and skip over the Rathtar scene, then skip over anything with Maz in it*, then I let it play the rest of the way.

* I have found on multiple viewings that I find Rey less and less interesting each time. At this point, she is a place holder, and I just want to know if she is a Skywalker descendant or not (and can otherwise take her or leave her at this point. I hope TLJ changes this for me, because I find myself rooting more for Kylo Ren each time I rewatch the TFA), and have become more and more annoyed with Maz. Oddly, I loved both when I saw TFA the first couple times.

R1: I watch the whole thing

Yeah, internet memes aside, there really is nothing sexual about that kiss in the recovery scene.

Dude. I love you, but come on. Look at Luke's reaction. His face clearly says OH MAN THAT WAS SO AWESOME! If that kiss is not sexual, kiss your mom or sister that way and see how it goes. ;)

Here's my special edition:

Assuming I have to work mostly with what's there and can't reshoot the PT entirely, I too would remove them as films and use their content for flashbacks in the OT. Across the board I would clean up all remaining matte boxes and transparency issues. Re-roto all the lightsaber duels to make sure blade color and style is consistent, bring back Benn Burtt to overhaul the sound to clean up wrong sound effects and botched music cues, remove any remaining English words and replace them with aurbrush, make all infographics, holograms, etc consistent.

ANH

add the Imperial March to Vader's first appearance

match the Death star's first appearance to where we last saw it in Rogue One

restore Biggs Tattooine scene (but no need for Luke's original intro or the whole power station gang)

insert a PT flashback when Ben talks about Anakin and the Clone Wars

redo the Mos Eisley intro-- I'm cool with the expansion to make it a bustling spaceport, but fix the aged CG and lose the cutesy Jawa crap

Han shoots first, obviously

cut the Jabba scene back out

redo the Vader/Obi-Wan fight. It doesn't have to be all flippy and jumpy like the PT, but it could certainly be better; obviously they need to find near an open pit to make it an official SW duel

expand Yavin 4 base to match how it's seen in Rebels and Rogue One

add Mon Mothma via hologram during the battle

add Bail Organa somewhere, not sure where, so we know his death has significance

maybe see the senate when the Emperor dissolves it-- Palpatine should be barely seen, shrouded in shadow and doesn't speak

redo the Death Star battle from scratch, the SE era cg is looking tired.

give Chewie his medal

ESB

expand the Hoth battle with more Scout Walkers, better shots of the shield generator so we can get a sense of its scale, throw a bone to the fanboys by adding the Outrider and The Ghost amongst the evacuating ships

lose the kiss-- Leia can storm out after the Nerf herder line. Han can still say his line and they can leave

add an exterior view of Luke's entry into Dagobah; dodging mountains, crashing through the canopy, etc.

redo the Vader/E,peror talk. To be honest, neither version works. Both imply the Emperor didn't know Vader had half the fleet looking for Luke already; just make it about him wanting Luke dead and Vader pushing to turn him

add the lightsaber training back in

drop a line somewhere that makes it clear that time passes (without hyperdrive it would take them a long time to get to Bespin, and it would explain how long Luke has been training)

when Luke "sees" the future, show it to us in quick cut flashes; somewhere in the Dagobah stuff we could see another PT flashback

restore the Vader shuttle stuff that everyone takes issue with-- WTF did they change that?

clean up the uneven CGI work in Cloud City

add some of the ships from R1 and ROTJ to the fleet at the end

ROTJ

DO NOT put in the Luke building his saber scene-- it was cut for good reason

enhance all the rubber masks in Jabba's palace to blink and show expression

lose Jedi rocks obviously

do not restorte sandstorm scene-- again, it was cut for a legit pacing reason

On Dagobah is another opportunity for a PT flashback

make all the Ewoks blink and enhance expressions-- not just Wicket

maybe quick flashes of Padme when Leia mentions her mother

after Luke is taken away and Vader is alone on the platform is a moment that's best suited for some PT images-- probably Anakin/Padme stuff

add AT-ATs to the Endor battle

enhance both the land and space battles in scope

when the generator goes up some how make it seem like Han isn't hiding behind a log when a massive building is nuked

add some Force-power attacks from Luke and Vader during the duel-- maybe the Crimson guards come running in to help and Luke takes them out

keep the SE version of the end-- but add in more planets seen throughout the saga

just a side thought-- it always seemed odd that no part of the battle took place on Courescant. Obviously the Death Star and Emperor made the perfect combined target, but there was still the heart of the Empire to contend with. If our President was killed while touring our flagship aircraft carrier Washington DC would still be running stuff.

TFA

make Hosnian prime clearly Courescant

drop a line or two somewhere that tells us that the First Order was made from the ashes of the Empire and controls a small part of the galaxy, and the Republic doesn't take them seriously, so Leia went off to create an insurgent movement within their space

replace the scene of them looking up and seeing the planets explode with them watching it on a screen because space is not that small

cut the Rathar junk

either cut or pay off the weird creature that eyes BB8 when he takes off on his own

make it clear the Falcon had a hidden transponder on it that alerted Han and Chewie that it was in space

give a reason that R2 woke up when he did-- some sort of missing piece or trigger or signal

R1

restore the idea that Jen's mother was a Jedi

cut back on some of the Saw stuff

Keep Leia's hood on in the end

Fix Vader's costume and lightsaber (they are not in line with ANH)

add Ackbar to the big briefing scene

add Ackbar's Home 1 to the battle

TLJ

put the resistance fleet hiding in a nebula or asteroid field and trapped instead of on the space version of the OJ chase

inert Lando on Canto Bight at one of the tables. He looks up, rubs his chin, goes back to gambling

cut about 20 minutes from the middle where things repeat themselves

give Luke the correct saber in his astral projection

...too soon?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.