If you could make your own Special Edition of the entire saga, what would you change

RamonAtila

Leia gets pissed and calls Han a scruffy-looking nerf herder. Han turns and asks,"who's scruffy-looking?" and then says to Luke about him hitting close to the mark to get her riled up like that. You'd have to cut the scene right there because at this point she proceeds to kiss Luke. Problem is while she kisses him the announcement comes over the loudspeaker that she needs to report back because the probe droid has been discovered. You'd have to re-edit so the announcement comes through while they are arguing. There's a real quick shot of Leia looking at Han with a super-pissed face after having yelled at him before he talks to Luke. You could have the announcement come through there.

It's not nearly that complicated.

Han: "whose scruffy looking?" pause, then screen wipe to the control room to talk about probe droids. Nobody cares about the "hitting close to mark" line or the "I guess you don't know everything about women" line. The announcement is nice but not entirely necessary. They just arrive at the control room because that's what they do.

Not a super smooth scene transition anymore, but it hasn't been smooth since they made ROTJ and turned that it into a squeamish twincest French kiss.

Or you know. End the scene a frame before she moves in for it. Easy.

Without the kiss scene it messes up the scene where Han and Luke part ways when Han is fixing the Falcon and Luke's about to jump into battle. Luke knows Han is mad about the whole thing with Leia and he's about to say something but decides against it. He just starts to walk away instead. Han tells him "be careful." Luke turns back with a "you too" smiling almost likes he's glad Han isn't blaming him for the kiss. But then the camera just stays on Han for a few long seconds where he still does look upset. Without the kiss scene this (what we didn't know would be when first viewing) final scene between them doesn't make sense.

It could work! We can get the idea that they're having that inner dialogue without a kiss. Like Luke is just thinking Han may be getting distracted by his feelings and Han is worried and agrees.

I was always bothered by that kiss, but only because I never believed in Luke being sexually active. I don't care what Lucas himself said about the jedi, I always saw it as the jedi were priests who have to take a vow of celibacy. Or else all this story between Anakin and Padme and all this thing about Luke accepting his place loses all relevance. I don't see what's the big commitment to becoming a jedi. Or else it's like becoming a cop.

I feel it's caving into fans wants and neglecting their needs. They're probably gonna try to play some kind of romance with Rey and that would piss me off. Like they're scared of offending little girls or something, telling them that committing your life to something like thT would make you a lesbian or something.

But it's sooo necessary, though. It just seems like you're cheating a life lesson and telling a flat out LIE by telling your young audience that you can be a monk dedicated to preserving peace and serving mankind and still be a badass macho who gets the girl. It's wishful thinking.

But that's my opinion...

What announcement are you guys referring to? As far as I have ever noticed, Leia simply walks out after kissing Luke. If there's an announcement in the next scene or something I can't seem to envision it.

Also, I never put two and two together that things were awkward between Han and Luke in that scene because of the kiss. I always figured it was because Luke was still getting used to Han coming to care about him as a friend instead of being his usual badass self.

Apparently the announcement isn't as clear as my memory of it seemed. You can hear an announcement being made right after Leia kisses Luke and it repeats three times. But all I can make out of it is "blah blah blah report to the command center."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCLXfLy8CAE&feature=youtu.be

But I always figured the announcement was what prompted all of them (except Luke since he's in recovery) to head back to the command center where they learn about the probe droid. Otherwise, why would Han and Leia go back to the same spot if they are so pissed off at each other? You figure Han would've gone back to continue fixing the Falcon or find somewhere else to get away.

I was thinking that, as cringe-worthy as that kissing scene is, it's one of those things that once you see it you can't unsee it. Removing it from the film would seem really weird since we are so used to those scenes. But if they could somehow edit back in some of the deleted scenes that could help soften the blow. I like this part starting at the 1:00 mark where Luke tells Leia he has to go:

If somehow they can cut it so that it plays after Han and Leia argue and only cut it from the 1:00 mark on. All that stuff before where they are about to kiss, yuck.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Without the kiss scene it messes up the scene where Han and Luke part ways when Han is fixing the Falcon and Luke's about to jump into battle. Luke knows Han is mad about the whole thing with Leia and he's about to say something but decides against it. He just starts to walk away instead. Han tells him "be careful." Luke turns back with a "you too" smiling almost likes he's glad Han isn't blaming him for the kiss. But then the camera just stays on Han for a few long seconds where he still does look upset. Without the kiss scene this (what we didn't know would be when first viewing) final scene between them doesn't make sense.

Yeah, internet memes aside, there really is nothing sexual about that kiss in the recovery scene. It's not like there's tongue or some weird Lannister vibe going on. Leia is just doing it to piss off Han because he embarrassed her, and Luke is just playing along. You can see Luke roll his eyes when Han is mouthing off about Leia. So I can see why they kept the scene in, on top of what you pointed out. I don't know if that scene would have been there if they knew beforehand that Luke and Leia would be revealed as siblings in ROTJ, and there is a little bit of an ick factor there, but as it stands, it really isn't as bad as the years of internet nerd rage about continuity and the twincest memes make it appear to be.

But, if that deleted scene stayed in the movie, that would have been WAY creepy.

Unacceptable answer:

'I would eliminate every film post ESB/ I would eliminate the PT/no Jar Jar, etc...'

I mean gimme what you would change in terms of dialogue edit, sfx and so forth.

Here a few of mine to get things going:

-spruce up battle of yavin, hoth with new cgi. Make them bigger to fit the rest of the saga.

-reshoot the wide shots of obi-wan/vader fight in ANH. Don't overdo it, because after all it is more a psychological thing rather than an action scene

-make all the lightsaber sounds consistent (tank) I won't change how they look though because I still think the story leaves room for lightsaber modifications)

-update all cgi, especially the PT

On the fence:

-greedo never shot

-Make a version of the OT where a 70 year old Ewan mcgregor replaces SAG

-all cgi yoda in OT

Okay, i'll bite...

1. For theaters, I would make the PT a 5 minute prologue followed by an old-style "intermission" then show ANH as normal.

2. I would not add anything to the Yavin battle, as it serves the story: the Rebellion were underfunded, underpowered and rag-tag at that point, sans the alliances seen by ROTJ. You don't go back and pollute the raw ANH battle with more ships and everything spinning like the ESB Falcon because GL could not control himself and had to go "bigger and better" with each new SW film.

3. As you point out, Greedo does not shoot, restoring the moral ambiguity in Han which in turn, restores the surprise of his return during the Yavin battle.

4, Replace Guiness? Hell no. You do not replace a truly great actor in a performance which played a significant role in shaping that trilogy only to link it to the PT.

5. There's not much to save TFA, but I would restore the cut shots of Finn being more proficient in his fight with the Stormtrooper as a way of toning down the "loud idiot" crap this film poured all over the character. He was raised as a trained trooper, so he should be able to kick ass along with the best of them. By showing him to be a dangerous fighter, it would support his belief that he could duel Kylo Ren, and not seem like some Joe Schmoe who just starts a fight and had no reason to think he could win.

6. Cut the ANH Jabba scene. As mentioned over and over again by endless packs of fans, Greedo covers every bit of the Jabba dialogue, and sells how much trouble Han is facing.

....and no, its not a thrill to see mugging Boba Fett this early in the trilogy.

7. Remove the "NOOOOO" from ROTJ Vader.

8. Cut the Vader shuttle addition to the Cloud City rescue scene. Unnecessary, and intrusive in a tense sequence that used to be all about Luke's plight.

Han's not upset about Leia in that close up. He's troubled because he's pretty much saying goodbye to his friend. With Han & Chewbacca leaving to pay Jabba, and Luke committed to the Rebellion (and the danger that goes with being a member), he's thinking that moment could be the last time he ever sees Luke.

Remove the kiss scene but add the part where Luke tells Leia he has to go and that's exactly how it'll play out. Both Han and Luke are struggling with what they should do. They both want to help the Rebellion, especially because of the bond they've developed with Leia, but also know they must follow their own paths. I think having that whole Leia-kisses-Luke-to-make-Han-jealous scene actually took away from this.

I would fix the Battle of Endor. I found it to be completely unrealistic. I mean you have a bunch of rebels and hundreds of stormtroopers and Imperial officers fighting a huge battle in the woods, and you're telling me that nobody, absolutely nobody steps in poo during the entire battle? Are you kidding me? C'mon....I mean, can't we at least get a little something? Like perhaps a stormtrooper stepping in poo and while distracted, he gets relentlessly beaten by Ewoks? Or, I don't know, maybe an AT-ST slipping on some poo and falling over. I know that last one might be a stretch but seriously...give us something...anything!!

Yeah, internet memes aside, there really is nothing sexual about that kiss in the recovery scene.

Dude. I love you, but come on. Look at Luke's reaction. His face clearly says OH MAN THAT WAS SO AWESOME! If that kiss is not sexual, kiss your mom or sister that way and see how it goes. ;)

Here's my special edition:

Assuming I have to work mostly with what's there and can't reshoot the PT entirely, I too would remove them as films and use their content for flashbacks in the OT. Across the board I would clean up all remaining matte boxes and transparency issues. Re-roto all the lightsaber duels to make sure blade color and style is consistent, bring back Benn Burtt to overhaul the sound to clean up wrong sound effects and botched music cues, remove any remaining English words and replace them with aurbrush, make all infographics, holograms, etc consistent.

ANH

• add the Imperial March to Vader's first appearance

• match the Death star's first appearance to where we last saw it in Rogue One

• restore Biggs Tattooine scene (but no need for Luke's original intro or the whole power station gang)

• insert a PT flashback when Ben talks about Anakin and the Clone Wars

• redo the Mos Eisley intro-- I'm cool with the expansion to make it a bustling spaceport, but fix the aged CG and lose the cutesy Jawa crap

• Han shoots first, obviously

• cut the Jabba scene back out

• redo the Vader/Obi-Wan fight. It doesn't have to be all flippy and jumpy like the PT, but it could certainly be better; obviously they need to find near an open pit to make it an official SW duel

• expand Yavin 4 base to match how it's seen in Rebels and Rogue One

• add Mon Mothma via hologram during the battle

• add Bail Organa somewhere, not sure where, so we know his death has significance

• maybe see the senate when the Emperor dissolves it-- Palpatine should be barely seen, shrouded in shadow and doesn't speak

• redo the Death Star battle from scratch, the SE era cg is looking tired.

• give Chewie his medal

ESB

• expand the Hoth battle with more Scout Walkers, better shots of the shield generator so we can get a sense of its scale, throw a bone to the fanboys by adding the Outrider and The Ghost amongst the evacuating ships

• lose the kiss-- Leia can storm out after the Nerf herder line. Han can still say his line and they can leave

• add an exterior view of Luke's entry into Dagobah; dodging mountains, crashing through the canopy, etc.

• redo the Vader/E,peror talk. To be honest, neither version works. Both imply the Emperor didn't know Vader had half the fleet looking for Luke already; just make it about him wanting Luke dead and Vader pushing to turn him

• add the lightsaber training back in

• drop a line somewhere that makes it clear that time passes (without hyperdrive it would take them a long time to get to Bespin, and it would explain how long Luke has been training)

• when Luke "sees" the future, show it to us in quick cut flashes; somewhere in the Dagobah stuff we could see another PT flashback

• restore the Vader shuttle stuff that everyone takes issue with-- WTF did they change that?

• clean up the uneven CGI work in Cloud City

• add some of the ships from R1 and ROTJ to the fleet at the end

ROTJ

• DO NOT put in the Luke building his saber scene-- it was cut for good reason

• enhance all the rubber masks in Jabba's palace to blink and show expression

• lose Jedi rocks obviously

• do not restorte sandstorm scene-- again, it was cut for a legit pacing reason

• On Dagobah is another opportunity for a PT flashback

• make all the Ewoks blink and enhance expressions-- not just Wicket

• maybe quick flashes of Padme when Leia mentions her mother

• after Luke is taken away and Vader is alone on the platform is a moment that's best suited for some PT images-- probably Anakin/Padme stuff

• add AT-ATs to the Endor battle

• enhance both the land and space battles in scope

• when the generator goes up some how make it seem like Han isn't hiding behind a log when a massive building is nuked

• add some Force-power attacks from Luke and Vader during the duel-- maybe the Crimson guards come running in to help and Luke takes them out

• keep the SE version of the end-- but add in more planets seen throughout the saga

• just a side thought-- it always seemed odd that no part of the battle took place on Courescant. Obviously the Death Star and Emperor made the perfect combined target, but there was still the heart of the Empire to contend with. If our President was killed while touring our flagship aircraft carrier Washington DC would still be running stuff.

TFA

• make Hosnian prime clearly Courescant

• drop a line or two somewhere that tells us that the First Order was made from the ashes of the Empire and controls a small part of the galaxy, and the Republic doesn't take them seriously, so Leia went off to create an insurgent movement within their space

• replace the scene of them looking up and seeing the planets explode with them watching it on a screen because space is not that small

• cut the Rathar junk

• either cut or pay off the weird creature that eyes BB8 when he takes off on his own

• make it clear the Falcon had a hidden transponder on it that alerted Han and Chewie that it was in space

• give a reason that R2 woke up when he did-- some sort of missing piece or trigger or signal

R1

• restore the idea that Jen's mother was a Jedi

• cut back on some of the Saw stuff

• Keep Leia's hood on in the end

• Fix Vader's costume and lightsaber (they are not in line with ANH)

• add Ackbar to the big briefing scene

• add Ackbar's Home 1 to the battle

Yeah, internet memes aside, there really is nothing sexual about that kiss in the recovery scene.

Dude. I love you, but come on. Look at Luke's reaction. His face clearly says OH MAN THAT WAS SO AWESOME! If that kiss is not sexual, kiss your mom or sister that way and see how it goes. ;)

When I watched ESB Special Edition in the theaters in 1997, there was a loud collective groan when Leia kissed Luke. Then, after Luke's reaction, there was an even louder collective groan. :D

See, Luke isn't building his lightsaber in that deleted scene; he is fine tuning it. At least that's how it always seemed to me. It's just a way to introduce the fact that Luke has a new lightsaber that he has obviously built himself, and it's kind of clunky for that reason.

Also, I view Rogue One as more of a spin-off than a proper Star Wars film (kind of like the Ewoks films only not embarrassingly terrible), so I don't believe in altering the proper films to match how things are in the spin-offs. Imagine if my post was filled with a bunch of desires to make references to the EU. Same idea. (The Mara reference was a joke.)

I’d be all for reshooting the entire PT if the same actors were involved. I know I’ll get a lot of groans over Hayden Christensen, but I think a different director could get more out of him. And I would hate for Ewan McGregor and Natalie Portman to be replaced. Ian McDiarmad has to be Palpatine. The biggest loss in a reshoot is Christopher Lee. But maybe this is how it should’ve been all along with Ray Park playing Darth Maul throughout the trilogy instead of having him killed off and bringing in Dooku to take his place.

See, Luke isn't building his lightsaber in that deleted scene; he is fine tuning it. At least that's how it always seemed to me. It's just a way to introduce the fact that Luke has a new lightsaber that he has obviously built himself, and it's kind of clunky for that reason.

Also, I view Rogue One as more of a spin-off than a proper Star Wars film (kind of like the Ewoks films only not embarrassingly terrible), so I don't believe in altering the proper films to match how things are in the spin-offs. Imagine if my post was filled with a bunch of desires to make references to the EU. Same idea. (The Mara reference was a joke.)

Fair enough. Though I disagree :)

Pretty sure the novelization and script both referred to Luke constructing the lightsaber in that scene. That said, I don't buy his crazy level up between films having not come with a new lightsaber mere moments before going to Jabba's.

Plus, the prop nerd in me knows it's a re-use of the Obi-Wan saber so my nerd brain says he had to have built it with parts found at Obi-Wan's place...

And you know my take on Star Wars as it relates to media. It was born as a film, and is a film franchise foremost, and Rogue One is a Star Wars film. On the scale of canonicity, it has more validity to me than any book, comic, cartoon, card game, collectable figure, sticker-pack, lunch box, or video game.

But come on! I gave you the Outrider!

I’d be all for reshooting the entire PT if the same actors were involved. I know I’ll get a lot of groans over Hayden Christensen, but I think a different director could get more out of him. And I would hate for Ewan McGregor and Natalie Portman to be replaced. Ian McDiarmad has to be Palpatine. The biggest loss in a reshoot is Christopher Lee. But maybe this is how it should’ve been all along with Ray Park playing Darth Maul throughout the trilogy instead of having him killed off and bringing in Dooku to take his place.

There's a part of me that wants an Obi-Wan trilogy with each film taking place between existing prequel films to serve as the REAL PT... but it's pipe dreaming... plus, these actors aren't getting any younger.

R1 is definitely canon. Disney set a precedent and I think we should all agree. No matter what you love and don't love as a fan, canon is this:

The PT

Solo

Rogue One

The OT

The ST

RJ's Standalone Trilogy

The Potential SST

Before I was able to dismiss the over saturation as all non-canon. Now all this is canon because Disney says so. No matter how much I'm feeling over saturated with this new canon, I will swear by it til death.

The only way I'll do like you guys and formulate my own SW truth is if, say, RJ decides to form his own parallel universe with events that directly contradict other canon films. Then I'll say all this new SW is bull crap.

For example, RJ can resurrect Maul his own way and I can dismiss Rebels entirely. But if RJ decides to rewrite Anakins story I will NOT dismiss the PT and all SW has died to me. A truly good director can bring back Jar Jar and redeem him. Not write him out of SW history.

Ooh,I got another one:

In my SE of the saga, all canonical films will now be episodic. It would be numbered out as follows:

I: The Phantom Menace

II: Attack of the Clones

III: Revenge of the Sith

IV: Solo

V: Rogue One

VI: A New Hope

VII: The Empire Strikes Back

VIII: Return of the Jedi

IX: The Force Awakens

X: The Last Jedi

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.