Stranger Things S02

Odine

So far my Saturday has consisted of laying in bed with the missus and binge watching the new season. At the minute we're on the fifth episode. So far so good! Really enjoying it... Not sure how it stacks up against the first season so far, but I'm sure it'll be clear in a bit.

Some great new characters! Still got the magic Americana 80s vibe, and the story is definately just as engaging as the first season.

Anyone else watching?

Smashed it.

Only significant complaints is the entirety of episode 7. I cant quite wrap my head around that one. Think it must've been an executive order or something, on behalf of producers/production company or something? I can't imagine it was in the original script or plan for the season. It felt very tacked on at the last minute.

Other than that though... awesome

I finished episode 4 and realized there were only 9 episodes in the season, so I binged. Thoroughly impressed.

Episode 7 almost fell into the Heroes season 2 trap, but I think (hope) it has some implications for season 3. Terry Ives didn't seem to be involved in Brenner's Hawkins Lab, so there may be more work proceeding elsewhere.

I fail to see the criticism of Episode 7, but I find that the criticism really stems from the ending of 6 and we're all of a sudden transported to an hour that could have just been cut across the main story. It was jarring but it didn't bother me as far as episodes are concerned. A lot of the El stuff had some odd editorial/structural stuff this season. Overall though, I'd say ST2 is one of the rare sequels that surpasses the original. It was definitely worth the year and a quarter wait.

Episode 7 was really poorly written, the characters were jarring characatures of 80s "punk" culture trying to take inspiration from the colourfulness of the lost boys, but it was really really poorly executed. The styling was cartoonish and not in a good way. They didn't look 80s at all, but rather what some cheap fashion house like Topshop or Urban Outfitters would peddle as 80s inspired clothing. Tonally the episode was completely out of kilter with the other episodes. The set design looked like some concept an out of touch parent would think a warehouse squat looks like, and the character design is the same. Elle's "makeover" was tragic, the dialogue was damned awful and was written more like a kids show about freaky superheroes. It felt like power rangers or some shit. And then there was the direction.... "Okay let's get you all walking out of the warehouse in your snazzy outfits in a line walking to the camera and we'll put it in slow motion to emphasise how badass you are" pffffft.

It just made me cringe from start to finish.

I had no problem with the diversion in storyline from episode 6, and would've welcomed an episode 7 that focused on Elle....if it didn't feel like an old 90s low budget TV show for 9 year olds.

Ep 7 was all about season 3. They needed to build up big sis so that she can be a big part of season 3.

As for season 2 I liked it a lot. The 80w nods were great, my favorite being the Aliens reference when the monsters took out the military guys out of nowhere. Hell you even had Paul Reiser in the control room. So nuts.

Second fav 80s reference was the guy dressed as Roddy Piper at the Halloween party.

Episode 7 feels like a backdoor pilot, an experiment. I dont care to see those characters or that type of story (X-Men superheroes) ever again within the Stranger Things setting.

However there are at least two scenes in that episode that are crucial to Elles development. That said, its the Duffers vision so whatever. I dont really wanna go all How I Would Write The Prequels, thats so 2000s. ;-)

Overall the season was great.

The Duffers confirmed in an interview that Episode 7 was an experiment, hence why it almost felt like a throwaway episode - not massively relevant to the story, but adds some depth to El/Jane's story.

Goddamn that last scene at the ball was cathartic.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.