What was Lucas's original Plan for Ep. 7?

Quetzalcoatl

Here’s the definitive answer because my opinion is correct and everyone else is a total idiot:

If someone wants to hold the books as true and no movies as true, that’s cool. Because none of it is real and therefore nothing is more true than anything else.

If someone wants to hold the movies as true and some of the books and some of the video games, that’s cool. Because it’s all fake.

If somebody wan to to hold that the movies are the only true thing, that’s cool because, like I said, it’s all cool.

If someone likes TLJ and/or TRoS, they’re a horrible person and a communist who wants to ruin America, and they also hate men and want all men to die.

Its all pretty obvious, guys.

6 hours ago, Tank said:

That's the part I don't get, the idea that even if you hate it, you still have to accept and/or own it.

I go back and watch TNG and DS9 every year or so-- but I skip the episodes I know are awful. I certainly don't rewatch the PT if I can help it.

I can like Star Wars, but that doesn't mean I have to like everything they slap the logo on.

You've made it clear you hate the new movies and avoid them-- why does a random book from 15 ago that you hate get included, but a movie, which is what SW is meant to be gets hated?

Is it simply because one came first?

Yeah I totally agree with you on that, Tank!  You DON'T have to accept parts you don't like.  It's called head canon.  BTW, I do the exact same thing with rewatching  Star Trek on my blu rays and DVD. Who wants to see Sub Rosa, Angel One, Rascals, Code of Honor, or The Child ever again!?

And you don' have to own every Star Wars film or cartoon, either.  The only Star Wars films I have are 1-6, and Rogue One, though its been a while for a rewatch.   That was my biggest issue with the ST: totally has no rewatch value for me.  I just consider Ep 7-9 apocryphal.

I've made it clear on numerous occasions that I have read an abundance of EU.  I have over 200 comics, not even counting the entire original Marvel run, which I also own.  Over 100 hardcover books and over 100 paperbacks.  

Despite this, you still seem to want to interact like I haven't.  

I was getting my EU fix while you were getting yours from the young readers series, boy!

33 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Here’s the definitive answer because my opinion is correct and everyone else is a total idiot:

If someone wants to hold the books as true and no movies as true, that’s cool. Because none of it is real and therefore nothing is more true than anything else.

If someone wants to hold the movies as true and some of the books and some of the video games, that’s cool. Because it’s all fake.

If somebody wan to to hold that the movies are the only true thing, that’s cool because, like I said, it’s all cool.

If someone likes TLJ and/or TRoS, they’re a horrible person and a communist who wants to ruin America, and they also hate men and want all men to die.

Its all pretty obvious, guys.

And also, Splinter Of The Minds Eye is a better sequel than Empire. 

Man, Goat, I never said anything about you not being exposed to the EU! I was jabbing back at you for seemingly asserting that your take on how to enjoy Star Wars was correct and mine wasn't.

Also, I agree about Splinter of the Mind's Eye. Countless people had warned me against it, including Mara on here who called it "quishy," but I enjoyed it quite a bit a thought it totally felt like Star Wars despite lacking Han's presence. I guess the only one who felt-out-character was Vader in his confrontation with Luke. He was too talkative.

3 minutes ago, Zathras said:

I gotta admit though, I wouldn't mind seeing a CGI animated adaptation of Splinter of the Minds Eye.  Same with Han Solo at Star's End, Han Solo's Revenge, and Han Solo and the Lost Legacy.   Just for the nostalgia of it.

The original Solo trilogy is freaking amazing!

10 minutes ago, Zerimar Nyliram said:

I never said you couldn't. I simply stated how I roll with continuity.

Which is fine. I'm not criticizing you at all. Enjoy what you want. 

I'm just saying that's how I roll.  I gave the ST a chance, hated the last 2 films, and now I pretend they don't exist.  It will be interesting if Mandalorian more or less just avoids any reference to the ST, outside of maybe Luke Skywalker and his Jedi temple, or not.  It certainly seems the show for people who didn't like the ST but wanted more after ROTJ. 

6 minutes ago, Zathras said:

I gotta re-read those one of these days. I don't remember much of it to be honest, just that I loved it. 

When everyone whines about the SOLO film, and say 'um erm uhmm, we didn't ask for this. This is unnecessary'  Those idiots haven't read this trilogy.   Give me the adventures of young Han Solo alllll day. 

1 hour ago, Zathras said:

Which is fine. I'm not criticizing you at all. Enjoy what you want. 

I'm just saying that's how I roll.  I gave the ST a chance, hated the last 2 films, and now I pretend they don't exist.  It will be interesting if Mandalorian more or less just avoids any reference to the ST, outside of maybe Luke Skywalker and his Jedi temple, or not.  It certainly seems the show for people who didn't like the ST but wanted more after ROTJ. 

Yeah, I have two fellow EU chroniclers who share the same attitude as me when it comes to cherry-picking stuff from the new canon to fit into the old, and The Mandalorian is one of those things they say fits just fine, right before the Thrawn trilogy, in fact. I haven't seen it yet but I soon plan to do an entire Star Wars movie and television binge, which will include the old Droids and Ewoks shows and cartoons, as well as some I haven't seen before, such as Rebels and The Mandalorian, and even Willow (one of those guys I mentioned feels it belongs in the Star Wars universe, in the distant, distant past).

22 minutes ago, Zathras said:

Ewoks? Droids? Why would you punish yourself like that? 

I watched an episode of Droids a few years ago, and it was as bad as I remembered, but it was still awesome as a kid wanting Star Wars. It started the day after my 5th birthday, so it was awesome.

I haven’t seen Ewoks since the original run, though.

Eh, he alludes to those events, but they don't completely fit. Undoubtedly, from within the new canon, it's established that the Sharu was a thing, but it didn't occur exactly the way it did in the books, because nothing was imported other than the six films and FIloni's series.

For my own head-canon, though, it's the other way around: the books are the "real" events, and Solo is a pseudo-historical, in-universe movie on the Holonet that takes many liberties. Therefore, I consider very little of Solo canon. I still enjoy the movie, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.