What was Lucas's original Plan for Ep. 7?

Quetzalcoatl

Someone told me Hayden Christiansen tried to quit multiple times during the filming of the PT cause he knew it was shit and didn't want to be a part of it anymore. But he would've been in breach of contract and so they kept him from going. Dunno if there is truth to that

Guest El Chalupacabra

I would rather not see Hayden in these films, and I don't think it will happen. They're seemingly avoiding the prequels, and while they could offer Hayden a good amount of money, it seems like he's just recovering from the damage to his career and confidence caused by the prequels. Why come back?

I agree, but if offered enough money, I think HC would come back. But I don't think he will be asked is the thing. Also, I am not saying I need to see it, just that if there were a scenario where Anakin made an appearance in ep 9, that is a way that would make the most sense to me. But I am with you, it's unlikely to happen, and really, unnecessary.

He could be convinced that with a good director and a good performance now, it's a chance to send the message that it wasn't his fault back then, it was George's.

I'm not pushing for this or wanting it in any way, but that is how he could be convinced.

If I were writing an Obi-Wan films I'd have a cold open set during the Clone Wars. It would open on the Lars farm, and you hear laughing and partying and you see Anakin and Padme having dinner and drinks with Owen and Beru. This is where Anakin and Padme go for their secret hook ups. Gi ve HC and NP a chance to do an actual strong character scene that shows some heart and emotion... then assassin droids show up, and Anakin fights them.

Then Obi-=wan shows up to help finish them off. He's busting their secret relationship, but more, he's telling them that spies have l;eanred the Separatists are about to try and kidnap Palpatine. Padme is the duty bound one and is ready to go back, while Anakin is really torn. Owen tells them that they should stay and be a family, and that the've done their part already, they deserve to be happy, etc etc. Of course they go, and Owen tells Obi-Wan he's going to get Anakin killed, or worse.

Just 10 minute open before jumping ahead in time to Ben in the desert.

I would rather not see Hayden in these films, and I don't think it will happen. They're seemingly avoiding the prequels, and while they could offer Hayden a good amount of money, it seems like he's just recovering from the damage to his career and confidence caused by the prequels. Why come back?

I've always laughed at the assumption that they were avoiding the prequels. I know I'm not the only one that laughed thinking about Tank watching Solo.

Hayden's career is where it is at because he's not a strong actor. Not because of the prequels. Hell I'm one of the ones who defended his performance back in the day, but it is hard watching his movies. He never looks comfortable in anything I've seen him do.

Someone told me Hayden Christiansen tried to quit multiple times during the filming of the PT cause he knew it was **** and didn't want to be a part of it anymore. But he would've been in breach of contract and so they kept him from going. Dunno if there is truth to that

I don't buy it. Hayden Christiansen seemed to really be into it as far as I could tell. Now, Natalie Portman on the other hand, I can totally believe. You ain't ever getting her back, and I'm not sure why you'd want her.

I read many times that Portman was almost dropped and replaced by Keira Knightly.

I've always laughed at the assumption that they were avoiding the prequels. I know I'm not the only one that laughed thinking about Tank watching Solo.

Pretty sure for TFA they wanted nothing remotely PT to come up. They werent discounting it, bit also not reminding us of it. Despite he fan hate RJ gets, he is a PT fan. I think after TFA rebuilt the feels it was okay for TLJ and Solo to speak of the olden times.

Hayden's career is where it is at because he's not a strong actor. Not because of the prequels. Hell I'm one of the ones who defended his performance back in the day, but it is hard watching his movies. He never looks comfortable in anything I've seen him do.

I think that both are relevant. He isn't the greatest actor, but when he could have been working to improve, he instead ended up in front of the entire world. He was pretty decent in Life as a House, and I think that if he had kept on that trajectory, he would've probably become a better actor. Instead he stepped into Star Wars and no matter what he does, he's always going to be the boy who whines about sand.

I do want to someday watch "First Kill" (Christensen and Bruce Willis) because it was filmed in the town right next to my hometown. A friend ran into Hayden and his family at an ice cream shop, and then my friend's wife saw him again taking his kids to the awesome playground they have. They said he was really a great guy, had conversations with them and seemed genuinely pleased that they recognized him (and probably that they weren't insulting him).

I read many times that Portman was almost dropped and replaced by Keira Knightly.

Pretty sure for TFA they wanted nothing remotely PT to come up. They werent discounting it, bit also not reminding us of it. Despite he fan hate RJ gets, he is a PT fan. I think after TFA rebuilt the feels it was okay for TLJ and Solo to speak of the olden times.

They do mention a Clone Army in TFA.

I think that both are relevant. He isn't the greatest actor, but when he could have been working to improve, he instead ended up in front of the entire world. He was pretty decent in Life as a House, and I think that if he had kept on that trajectory, he would've probably become a better actor. Instead he stepped into Star Wars and no matter what he does, he's always going to be the boy who whines about sand.

I do want to someday watch "First Kill" (Christensen and Bruce Willis) because it was filmed in the town right next to my hometown. A friend ran into Hayden and his family at an ice cream shop, and then my friend's wife saw him again taking his kids to the awesome playground they have. They said he was really a great guy, had conversations with them and seemed genuinely pleased that they recognized him (and probably that they weren't insulting him).

First Kill is an okay movie, but it illustrates my problem with Hayden. It always seems like he's trying to act. If you see an interview with him he sounds so upbeat and natural. You watch him act he is measured and stiff. There are moments in AOTC and ROTS he drops out of it and comes off as natural. Then he falls back into "Is it Pawsable to learn these powers?" I jumped off the Hayen train when TCW cartoon came out. I thought man they should have cast this dude. I still love the effort he put into the role. Him and Ewan both worked their asses of to as much of the physical stuff as they could.

And one day the sand line will be up there as one of the most misquoted lines in cinematic history.

When they mentioned Aura Sing in Solo I laughed. My wife asked me what I was laughing at and I told her it was an internet thing lol.

I always felt it was your opinion on the matter which was fine. My thought was that with the time gap, there was no need to reference the prequels. How odd would it have looked if Kylo Ren referenced Qui Gon?

If I were writing an Obi-Wan films I'd have a cold open set during the Clone Wars. It would open on the Lars farm, and you hear laughing and partying and you see Anakin and Padme having dinner and drinks with Owen and Beru. This is where Anakin and Padme go for their secret hook ups. Gi ve HC and NP a chance to do an actual strong character scene that shows some heart and emotion... then assassin droids show up, and Anakin fights them.

Then Obi-=wan shows up to help finish them off. He's busting their secret relationship, but more, he's telling them that spies have l;eanred the Separatists are about to try and kidnap Palpatine. Padme is the duty bound one and is ready to go back, while Anakin is really torn. Owen tells them that they should stay and be a family, and that the've done their part already, they deserve to be happy, etc etc. Of course they go, and Owen tells Obi-Wan he's going to get Anakin killed, or worse.

That would be efffin great. What are the chances they could get all those actors to come back now though, especially Portman? And worse, how much older they look now compared to ROTS.

Everyone remember the rumors about Leo DiCaprio being cast as Anakin before AOTC? The backlash was running rampant over it. Seeing what we got with Hayden and what became of Leo, the hate for the casting that couldve been looks stupid as hell in retrospect.

Yeah I remember the Leo hate when that was going on. Hindsight is 20/20 like they say. I honestly think Natalie Portman was a bad casting in retrospect. Not because of her apparent disdain for the role, but because she isn't good on everything she does. I honestly think she's kinda over rated as an actress. Her and Hayden were rumored to have been dating during AOTC, yet they couldn't have had any less chemistry.

I don't think they were dating, I think it was fans shipping.

Or romanticizing it. Two attractive single young adults? Wouldn't surprise me if they were hooking up. Hayden got married to another company star hook up. Though Bilsonis hotter than Portman. I would have never tried those Magnum ice cream bars if isn't wasn't for her commercials.

Yeah I remember the Leo hate when that was going on. Hindsight is 20/20 like they say. I honestly think Natalie Portman was a bad casting in retrospect. Not because of her apparent disdain for the role, but because she isn't good on everything she does. I honestly think she's kinda over rated as an actress. Her and Hayden were rumored to have been dating during AOTC, yet they couldn't have had any less chemistry.

There's really good actors, like Ewan McGregor, who can sell any POS you drop in their lap.

There's bad actors, obviously.

But there's some actors who are only as good as their directors. I've seen Portman and Hayden both be excellent in other films, so I think it;s more of a failing of Lucas hiding in video village and just relaying commands through the AD to "go faster."

She should have been. She was fine in The Phantom Menace, but by Revenge of the Sith she was totally phoning it in and Lucas practically wrote her out of the movie. The Thor movies have since proven that she's just not any good at these popcorn flicks and when she got tossed out of the MCU with a dismissive line, not a soul complained.

Keira Knightley, on the other hand, knows how to have fun with movies that aren't serious acting roles. I strongly suspect she would have injected some humanity into Padme for those romance scenes in Attack of the Clones. People always blame Hayden and Lucas for the romance not working, but really, it was mosltly on Portman. She just wan't putting any effort into building chemistry and you could tell she didn't want to be there. I don't think there was anything either of those guys could do to make it work no matter what you think of their skills.

If Hayden had a real girl to work off of, who wanted to be there and wanted to make the scenes work, we still probably wouldn't have gotten the greatest romance ever, but it likely would have been passable.

It's no coincidence that the best part of Attack of the Clones, to me, was when Lucas turned Padme into a muted observer for the whole Tatooine section.

There's really good actors, like Ewan McGregor, who can sell any POS you drop in their lap.

There's bad actors, obviously.

But there's some actors who are only as good as their directors. I've seen Portman and Hayden both be excellent in other films, so I think it;s more of a failing of Lucas hiding in video village and just relaying commands through the AD to "go faster."

With Portman I think she is good at some roles and not at others. I got dragged to see Annihilation and couldn't get over how disinterested she looked. I agree with you somewhat about Lucas. There are scenes in the prequels were I wonder why GL didn't just say "CUT! Let's try that again!"

DiCaprio has said he was offered the role but turned it down, not wanting to essentially commit to making 3 Star Wars movies at that point in his career.

Did you mean 2 or did he really say 3? Was he trying to say they wanted him as Anakin starting with TPM?

I remember at the time thinking he wouldve made a good Anakin because a. He could act. Everyone at the time was bashing the rumor over his role in Titanic and the unwarranted backlash over that flick. But if you watched his other work you knew he was talented. And b. He looked like Jake Lloyd and could pass for an older version of him. So, back then this being the first time there would be such along time gap between SW episodes, for continuity it worked.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Interesting. But you would have to retcon Obi Wan's surprise when he realized that Anakin and Padme were married in ROTS, and figured out that she was preggers with Anakin's kids. Not very hard to do, though. Just something to explain why Obi Wan never outed Anakin and Padme to the Jedi Council.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.