What was Lucas's original Plan for Ep. 7?

Quetzalcoatl

I still kinda like the theory someone dropped around here awhile back about Rey being the reincarnation of Anakin. As crazy fan theories go, I thought that was kinda cool.

I read that theory elsewhere and although the basic idea that Rey is another Chosen One isn't that crazy the accompanying line of dialogue that Luke was supposed to say to her was pretty darn stupid and crazy "Rey, you are MY father". LOL

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah, that was all kinds of dumb.

But I do think its plausible (if not obvious at this point) that Rey is another chosen one. I just don't dig the idea she is Anakin reincarnated.

The one thing I didn't really like about TLJ, even though I think they played it well, was that she was a nobody and not a Skywalker. It might be cliche but I like the idea that the saga movies follow the Skywalker generations and having Ren as the last Skywalker doesn't sit that well with me. If Rey is Anakin reincarnated it almost makes up for that aspect for me and while at first I hated the idea, after a bit of thought (and alcohol) I warmed to it.

But I think the new films aren't really going to acknowledge that Anakin was the chosen one, so I doubt they'd go there.

I make the EU fit by imagining it as in-galaxy fanfic/media. It explains the inconsistent quality and content. You could do the same with the new canon. It's all in-galaxy fanfic written by a lonely girl with a miserable life who wants to be special.

I kind of do, actually! I plan to write a story set a thousand or so years later that takes a jab at the new films by explaining that they are poorly-researched holovids loosely based on actual in-universe history. We get those types of movies in the real world all the time, so it is entirely possible that it happens in Star Wars as well.

The new Halloween movie is doing this too since it's the thirs pseudo reboot that's more of a retcon since the original is still continuity. Laurie Strode's granddaughter tells her friends a bunch of urban legends sprung up about Michael Myers and then drops details that were from the movies they are ignoring.

Horror films, like the myths SW emulates, cone from oral traditions, campfire stories.

God, imagine if they made a SW film this way? Announce it as a direct sequel to ROTJ and ignore the current ST. The internet would blow up.

After you mentioned Halloween I remembered the new Terminator currently in production will also be a direct sequel to part 2 and ignore all the rest. It probably won't do what Halloween did and give details about the movies being ignored as legends that were made up.

I wonder if the new Terminator movie will use the multi-timeline explanation the way The Sarah Connor Chronicles did? The show was also a direct sequel to T2 and ignored the other movies out at the time, but explained that it was due to a timeline shift caused by different events.

God, imagine if they made a SW film this way? Announce it as a direct sequel to ROTJ and ignore the current ST. The internet would blow up.

After you mentioned Halloween I remembered the new Terminator currently in production will also be a direct sequel to part 2 and ignore all the rest. It probably won't do what Halloween did and give details about the movies being ignored as legends that were made up.

I wonder if the new Terminator movie will use the multi-timeline explanation the way The Sarah Connor Chronicles did? The show was also a direct sequel to T2 and ignored the other movies out at the time, but explained that it was due to a timeline shift caused by different events.

Exactly, when you have time travel stories where timeline changes are part of the plot, you can totally do this. I think Terminator has like five time lines, funny enough, ALL of them honor the original movies.

T1 -> T2 -> T3

T1 -> T2 -> Salvation

T1 -> T2 -> TSCC

T1 -> T2 -> Genesys

T1 -> T2 -> T2019

That's not even counting all the comics and the 3D movie at Universal that was considered canon supposedly :lol:

Guest Robin

I dont think that Whiney Reboot Hating Fanboys (WRHF?!) sunk Superman Returns, that film has legit issues both in story and budgetary that it was burdened with. However WRHFs are the worst... I really like WRHF, I kinda want to write a WKRP parody that lampoons the geek podcast industry. Michael Dorn could be the station manager...

That said, I was the typical online reactionary to the casting of Routh because of how skinny he was at the time... you know, because apparently putting on weight was impossible for anyone back then thanks to the Great Metabolic Wars of the 2000s.

That Said: The Sequel, a sequel to Superman Returns could have easily solved some of its plot issues like Maroon Cape, Deadbeat Superdad, Super Peeping Tom and Molester Lex. Hmm. Well maybe not that last one. Regardless, Brandon Routh was a good Superman who got hosed by so many things out of his control, hes wonderful as The Atom on TV though.

Afterthought: I know SD said loving, not hating, but that Michael Dorn joke.

But I do think its plausible (if not obvious at this point) that Rey is another chosen one. I just don't dig the idea she is Anakin reincarnated.

Rey being Anakin reincarnated isn't going to happen. That said, I have a sneaking suspicion that Anakin has a part to play yet in this saga. He's the one jedi we know can become a force ghost, but haven't seen or heard anything from yet. Perhaps his work as the "chosen one" isn't yet finished?

I thought Salvation was a sequel to T3?

It was a different production company, neither Arnie, Cameron, or Hamilton were involved. They did the future story to avoid any continuity issues with previous films (but had them with TSCC which was out at the same time). It didn't take anything in T3 into consideration, but it also didn't counteract it the way TSCC was.

The one thing I didn't really like about TLJ, even though I think they played it well, was that she was a nobody and not a Skywalker. It might be cliche but I like the idea that the saga movies follow the Skywalker generations and having Ren as the last Skywalker doesn't sit that well with me. If Rey is Anakin reincarnated it almost makes up for that aspect for me and while at first I hated the idea, after a bit of thought (and alcohol) I warmed to it.

But I think the new films aren't really going to acknowledge that Anakin was the chosen one, so I doubt they'd go there.

It's funny, I think that the decision to make Rey a "nobody" is probably the single best decision made in the sequels. It takes Star Wars back to the message of the original Star Wars, that anyone can rise up and defeat eagle. Not only the relatives of the Messiah. Also I think it makes TFA much better. When first watching it most of us assumed that Rey would have some kind of relation to the Skywalkers. So when she is marking off days or telling everyone she meets that her family is coming back we think "oh, its ok it will all be worth it. Your family DID have a good reason to leave you alone." Whereas now it just adds a whole layer of sadness to her isolation on Jakku.

I thought Salvation was a sequel to T3?

It was a different production company, neither Arnie, Cameron, or Hamilton were involved. They did the future story to avoid any continuity issues with previous films (but had them with TSCC which was out at the same time). It didn't take anything in T3 into consideration, but it also didn't counteract it the way TSCC was.

Not true - his wife in Salvation was the character introduced in T3.

Names and characters exist across continuity all the time. It's certainly possible-- I never actually saw T3 and I wasn't lost with Salvation (which I actually liked).

I was really pulling for Salvation to get sequels and to try and work with TSCC continuity wise. That would have been cool. The present on TV, the future onscreen.

Oh well!

That said, I was the typical online reactionary to the casting of Routh because of how skinny he was at the time... you know, because apparently putting on weight was impossible for anyone back then thanks to the Great Metabolic Wars of the 2000s.

He's probably just an Endomorph, he has the narrow face. I'm a Mesomorph. I can work out half as hard and put on twice the muscle.

I think it's pretty much the only thing Salvation takes from T3, she was introduced in T3 as Connor's future wife and one of the resistance leaders who sends the terminator back to protect other commanders. That said they change her from a vet in T3 to a physician in Salvation.

But agree, I kinda liked Salvation, thought it was at least the best non-Cameron Terminator flick.

Guest Robin

I hear ya, SD. Although I could probably work out half as hard as he did and get eight times as fat. LOL

BTW in case it got lost in my self-chiding, Routh ended up with an amazing physique by time filming started.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Rey being Anakin reincarnated isn't going to happen. That said, I have a sneaking suspicion that Anakin has a part to play yet in this saga. He's the one jedi we know can become a force ghost, but haven't seen or heard anything from yet. Perhaps his work as the "chosen one" isn't yet finished?

I didn't ever and don't think Rey was or will be revealed as Anakin reincarnated. Just thought the theory was dumb. But I do like the idea of Rey being a chosen one. Makes sense that each age or time of need, that the Force creates a chosen one, or chosen ones, if you will. Literally EVERY religion has that concept, so it makes sense to me for the Force to do something like that.

I don't know if I agree that Anakin will appear to Rey. I see no reason for that to happen. If a force ghost is to appear to Rey, I think it is more likely that it will be Yoda, but HOPE it is Luke, if they can get Mark Hamill to come back for Ep 9.

Now, I CAN see a scenario where Anakin's ghost could play some role with Kylo Ren. Given Kylo's obsession with Vader, I personally think it would be cool if Kylo either summons Anakin's ghost for guidance somehow, or Anakin appears on his own, and rather than validating Kylo, Anakin's ghost admonishes him.

I would rather not see Hayden in these films, and I don't think it will happen. They're seemingly avoiding the prequels, and while they could offer Hayden a good amount of money, it seems like he's just recovering from the damage to his career and confidence caused by the prequels. Why come back?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.