What was Lucas's original Plan for Ep. 7?

Quetzalcoatl

I would like to point out that George could easily give 10 completely different takes on what his idea really was, and be completely sure on each one.

I don't know what's going on here exactly, but I'm pretty sure Lucas never planned to base a trilogy around a shrink ray. My guess is that he wanted to flesh out the whole Midichlorian thing and we're talking about some dialogue, maybe even a plot point, but not 3 movies spent tiny.

Also-- the fact that Lucas had artists working to generate visuals and ideas before a single page was written points tot he fact his ideas were not salient. I'm sure he's thought a lot about it after TFA and TLJ came out.

No, but seriously, I think this just proves what I have theorized all along: that Lucas was true to his word when he said the story of the Skywalkers on the big screen was done with Episode VI, and he only typed up some potential story treatments after meeting with Bob Iger, Kathleen Kennedy, et al when they told him their plans to release a sequel trilogy under the new management.

No, but seriously, I think this just proves what I have theorized all along: that Lucas was true to his word when he said the story of the Skywalkers on the big screen was done with Episode VI, and he only typed up some potential story treatments after meeting with Bob Iger, Kathleen Kennedy, et al when they told him their plans to release a sequel trilogy under the new management.

It is on record that Kennedy didn't even know Lucas was selling to Disney and she found out after the fact. And that he was writing treatments prior with the potential of doing them himself - which this whole thing pretty much confirms as well. Lets not re-write history just because you're unhappy with how things played out - the EU was gone no matter what, and from what we know it would have been worse if Lucas had stuck around than what we have now.

Oh, I wasn't aware of that. Well, in that case, Lucas definitely changed his mind from what he had been saying all along. Was the Disney acquisition the catalyst that inspired his change in attitude? We'll probably never know. Quite frankly, I take the things LucasFilm execs say now with a grain of salt.

Oop the record appears to be stuck again

You only get to say that when I'm the one who started the conversation!

OT=. Good stuff. Even the Ewoks aren’t all that bad in hindsight.

EU= Capitalizing on SW withdrawal

PT= 3 movies to get to the Obi-Anakin fight

NT= Using the old cast to get the new cast over

Rogue One = Needing a Vader cameo to remind people it’s a SW movie

Solo= colossally misreading the market

If you're talking about the early EU, maybe. Beyond that, I'd say it goes like this.

Original Trilogy: Genius and innovative. Not perfect, but the gold standard for movie making.

Expanded Universe: Enthusiastic Star Wars lovers crafting new stories within the sandbox George Lucas created, some exceeding Lucas in quality and others falling short of the mark.

Prequel trilogy: Good ideas with poor execution, mostly filler.

Ewok movies: Cute kids' movies not meant to be anything more than that.

The Clone Wars: A odd medley of one part brilliance, two parts crap, produced by a man who thinks he's more important than he really is.

Infinities (sequel) trilogy: Products churned out by people who don't understand Star Wars, with regurgitated EU material under different names passed off as original, all the while pissing on our legs and telling us it's raining.

Rebels: See The Clone Wars.

Rogue One: A fun film that is not quite great but adds to the Star Wars mythos. It too is guilty of regurgitated EU but unwittingly ends up complimenting it.

Solo: Mostly the same as Rogue One, but wholly unnecessary. Still fun.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.